Speedmaster Oil Leak Problem

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by 1200speed, Jul 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 1200speed

1200speed New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Minnesota
    Brought my Speedmaster in for the first service after the river ride. The found an oil leak from the case on the right side. Will find out what was leaking when I get the bike back, but talking with the service writer, it sounds like Speedmasters have a oil leak problem as this is not the first with the same problem.

The parts department told me they have ordered 3 additional part sets for other bikes when mine was ordered.
    Bike has been at the dealer for a week now while waiting for the parts.

Anyone else had a leakage problem on the 2018's?

2. Pitbull

Pitbull Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Jun 5, 2015
    Ashington
    Not seen anything, in for the 500 mile service next week, will enquire then

3. 1200speed

1200speed New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Minnesota
    This appears to be a more widespread problem as the plug and crush washer were the wrong size and are currently on backorder. Mine is not the only bike the dealer has in for the problem. Take care if you have any leakage.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Checked both mine and @Wessa speedmaster at the GMU :)
    Nothing to report at the moment and NUDGER is in for his first service tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. 1200speed

1200speed New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Minnesota
    Lucky that you don't have the problem. Dealers all over the US have ordered the bolts and crush washers as it appears Triumph used the wrong spec'd parts on most of the Speedmasters sent to the US. Glad it didn't happen to yours.

My dealer, Motoprimo, stood behind the bike and loaned me the Speedmaster from their showroom as it has been over 2 weeks. Triumph might not stand behind their bikes but the dealer did.

Disappointed in Triumph for their inability to ship the correct parts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Over 2000km and all good. Have had to check tyre pressures regularly

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sped

Sped New Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Sydney
    Morning all, I came back yesterday from a ride and noticed the smell of oil, checked the casing on my18 speedy and noticed oil burnt on the exhaust seems to be dripping from the casing on the right. To boot looks like the seal melted and started to ooze between the chrome casing. See how I go getting it repaired from the guys I purchased from a few months back in Wollongong.

8. Sped

Sped New Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Sydney
    Morning mate, yeah quite sure ran my finger under the casing and definitely oil consistency. And the drip marks directly beneath the casing support the oil theory. Apparently Triumph required I take the bike to the dealer to take pics then send to Triumph, it’s some 50kms away, I took the pics and sent to the dealer.. she only has 2500kms on her and I broke her in slowly and never got over 2300 rpms.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I had similar symptoms on mine after 600 miles. Dealer said leak was coming from where alternator cable exited the case through a grommet. They reckoned the cable sleeve (and/or grommet?) were split due to bad assembly and as there is an oil channel running by it, oil was leaking out. (Oil channel next to cable exit seems like a bad design to me.)

10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:confused: Just been in the garage to check NUDGER :confused: thankfully I’ve nothing to report :) but I’ll be keeping an eye on him :p

11. jimhoy

jimhoy New Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Southern Ohio
    Well, you did want a vintage looking Triumph and now it really does look vintage with that oil leak. All of the classic twins leaked oil back in the day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 1200speed

1200speed New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Minnesota
    I can do without that much vintage.....….

• Agree Agree x 2