Scrambler Oil leak, my Triumph has marked it's spot!

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by BSATREV, Oct 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BSATREV

BSATREV Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Birkenhead
    My 64 reg Scrambler has just developed an oil leak. This of course was the cause of many jokes from my non- Triumph riding buddies. A quick look showed oil on the sump plate and dripping off the oil filter. Once this was cleaned off, I could see that the oil was coming from the front of the engine near the sump casting. It's still under warranty so should be no problem - right? There is a big BUT here: when I took the bike to the dealer, it was diagnosed by eye as a leak from a plug inside the engine. The service guy explained that there was a threaded plug in the engine (situated behind the starter motor) and this plug is only used in engine assembly but sometimes comes loose.

O.K. so an hour or two to fix.... well really we need the bike for longer, I am told just in case the first try does not seal it. Then I am told that PTFE tape is sometimes the fix! Now is it just me or do others think that if even a small bit of PTFE tape gets in an oil pipe or journal then the engine will suffer a very expensive failure? I am starting to worry.

Has anyone else on the forum had this oil leak fixed by a dealer?

Worried of Wirral

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Blimey! That sounds like something out to be done to erradicate it before it leaves the factory!

3. OnlySon

OnlySon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Scotland. UK
    Maybe I've got this wrong but a bike under manufacturer's warranty with any issue should be wheeled back and repaired. If it then develops a fault through a `quick fix`you should still be covered.

I have a pal with a Bonnie America and he has done everything he can to fix an oil leak. It still leaks.