Oil Filter - Gave Up The Ghost

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sprinter1050uk, Sep 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts
    Had my 09 Sprint St 1050 stored at a mates workshop since December. Went to get it back on the road yesterday afternoon. Put the battery on expecting it to struggle but it fired up with two seconds. I then heard a strange non mechanical noise, looked down and it was pouring oil all over the floor and I mean pouring. Due to poor lighting and the pool of oil underneath could only get a cursory look underneath, it appeared that the oil filter had 'disintegrated'and dumped the oil when under pressure. Unable to investigate further until new oil and filter arrive on Thursday. In 40yrs of biking never had anything happen like this although the longest I have ever stored a bike has been a few months. The one saving grace is that it collapsed when I started as opposed to half a mile down the road.
    Anyone ever had a similar issue?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Never heard of that before, could the filter have been damaged whilst in storage??

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    They are pretty thin tin. Corrosion (salt!) can kill them and their design life is not much beyond 12 months. Was it one of those famous K&Ns with detachable nuts!.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    so far in 11 years of owning the sprint i've had problems with 2oil filters
    1. A K&N which let go of the weld while out and pissed oil over the rear tyre...but was close to home so a bit of skity riding and all was well - vowing never to have a KN ever again
    the other was a Hi-Flo which was fairly corroded and i think a stone hit it as it happened after riding down a resurfaced road - just a slow seep

they are very thin metal so corrosion could be your problem - probably your problem....but also check the sump bolt - or rather the washer and inspect the oil cooler pipes banjo bolts while looking underneath.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts
    Not a K&N filter, one that came with the oil from M&P. Not been moved as it is in a corner and hasn't ever seen salt, only when I pull up at the chippy. Hoping that it is pure metal decay and it got bored by not being used so threw a hissy fit. Hopefully just the poor metal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Aah! But has it seen vinegar?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sprinter1050uk

May 4, 2017
    Mansfield, Notts
    New filter fitted everything fine and dandy. Once off it was clear that the old filter had had rotted although it hadn’t leaked until it was put under pressure.

• Like Like x 2