Oil Drain Plug Crush Ring

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Fork Lock, Apr 17, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    #1 Fork Lock, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Where in the U.S. can I get oil drain plug crush rings for my 2018 Speedmaster?
    Is there a part number or a list with crush rings for other vehicles that are compatible?

2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I am not sure why you would want a "crush ring" almost all Triumphs use a solid washer with no issues. If you really want a crush ring pop along to your nearest motor factor accessory shop, these usually stock packs of multiple sizes and are very reasonably priced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    Hmmm...Pretty sure the service manual called for a crush ring and I've used them on my bikes in the past, but if a solid washer will do, I'll go with that.

4. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Surrey BC Canada
    Don't know your size & part number, but find out what size is your drain plug (M14? M12?...etc) then go to your nearest auto part dealer, find a copper crush washer for that size.

Depends on the size, sometimes you can literally get 50 for 10 bucks.

5. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    Just didn't feel like going shopping with drain plug in hand in the middle of an oil change. Thought someone might know off hand. No worries. There are three auto parts stores within ten minutes of El Rancho Fork Lock. I'll just bring the plug and find a matching crush ring. Thanks all.

6. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Is it just a copper washer? Can you reuse what you have by annealing it (heating red hot then letting it cool)?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #7 brown mouse, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    The OEM washer looks like a plain (not crush) aluminium washer and the size in mm is on the packet, shown in the picture below I just took of one I have. That is 3mm thick, 23mm diameter, with a 14.4mm hole (9/16 inch).

Edit: The size is also given on online parts ordering sites, e.g. at Fowlers. Just Google the part number.

Note, Fowlers (where I buy parts) doesn't show the Speedmaster parts diagram, but I use this site for reference... https://www.bike-parts-triumph.com/...neville/Speedmaster/bonneville-speedmaster/15

1.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    Thanks again!

9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Thought I was being clever and tried annealing a silver coloured sump washer. Oops, I melted it.
    Lesson learned.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    I used to reuse those washers and never had a problem. They say to replace them each time because "they" don't know what condition they're in. You can safely get many uses out of them if you don't overtighten them. I've only seen them leak when not tight enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The sealing washer on my 2012 ZZR is aluminium, (aloominum on the USA spec bikes ;)) and is the original from new. Never changed it or had to. As Tom Swift has said, they last almost indefinitely if not abused.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    THIS IS SPAM. ALL OF HIS TWENTY POSTS ARE THE SAME, NOTHING TO DO WITH BIKES