Trophy Oil consumption

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by FiftyCal, Jul 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. FiftyCal

FiftyCal Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Birmingham, England
    My '92 Trophy seems to be using a lot of oil. I serviced it a couple of weeks ago before a trip abroad, oil was on the max but had to put 3/4 of a litre in over the course of 750 miles, the majority of which was done at 60mph to cater for slower riders. There are no external leaks and no visible smoke from the exhaust and no unwelcome noises from the motor. There's some sludge in the airbox from the breather but I don't think it's enough to account for the rate it's using the oil.

I've only owned the bike since February and it's only been on the road since April, and has now clocked up around 48000 miles, I'm told these motors are capable of doing many thousands more than this before they start to use oil at a noticeable rate, is this correct in your experience or should I look at getting the motor overhauled?

2. Shamus13

Shamus13 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    Can't really comment on what's normal for a Triumph as I've only had mine 3 months. Done about 600 miles and did notice it had used a little oil so just topped it up, nothing excessive. Yams of a certain age were well known to use oil. This is new to me as I've had my last 15 years on Kwaks (4 bikes) and never had to top up the oil.

3. Shamus13

Shamus13 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    I always use 10w/40 semi.

4. FiftyCal

FiftyCal Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Birmingham, England
    Thanks for the replies guys, it's a 1200 motor, I used 10W40 S/S. The dipstick is about 4 inches long, although this needs replacing as the cap thread is fubar'd, and there's a slight mist coming from the thread because the cap doesn't seat properly anymore. Not enough to account for the amount I'm using though, and there's no drips when I park up.
    And no, I haven't topped it up to the higher 'max level' this causes. I see where the 'short' dipstick issue can arise as I tried to order a combined oil temp gauge/dipstick/filler cap from cheapbay to replace mine but they only fit later models. Perhaps the covers are interchangeable so I can use the gauge type?

I'll try the bag over the breather later. Mileage is genuine, I have all the previous MOT's to prove it, and the motor makes no nasty noises.

5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Oil and filter changed on my Trident 900 at around 48,600 miles (Dec '14). Was slightly (and I do mean slightly!:p) overfilled (oops!) but now with 50,005 miles on the clock still does not require topping up:) - Halfords fully synthetic 5w40 oil used.:cool:

6. unclejonboy

unclejonboy Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ibeeria
    simple question...do you read the oil level with the dipstick screwed home and then unscrewed to see the level, or take it out wipe and dip, it but don't screw it home ?

7. unclejonboy

unclejonboy Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ibeeria
    dipstick info......
    my '94 1200 trophy's is 175mm long...that's 6 7/8". that is the length of the visible metal sticking out the bottom of the plastic cap.
    The high - low marks are 7mm apart.
    The low mark is 3mm from the bottom
    The whole flatted portion is 54mm
    The flat portion is embossed with a 4.....(4 cyl ?)
    Do check the oil level on flat ground on centre stand.
    the difference between low mark and high mark is only about 250 cl, or quarter litre.
    hope this helps UJB

• Like Like x 1
  8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You should definitely screw the dipstick fully home, to check the level.

9. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I'm with thebiglad on that one. (Only 'cos' he's right you understand!):eek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I concur that my learned friends are as usual,correct. lol

Also the bike should not be on the stand, just held vertical and on level ground,hope this helps

11. unclejonboy

unclejonboy Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ibeeria
    Just done sixteen hundred kms in four days mostly fast motorway stuff. didn't use any oil.
    1200 1994 35000kms Trophy

• Like Like x 1
  12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I'd suggest. Get oil type and level right. Then thrash it - race track or good bit of quiet twisty road in the hill's. stop let it cool, have a brew at the pub or track side cafe, repeat repeat until the rings free up, the bike may have been sitting too long or the previous owner rode it too conservatively. I had a 94 Trident from new did 161,000klm that's near enough 100,000m , never used oil and would Wheelie in the first 3 gears (moded carbs & lifted needle's) just crack open wide and go up up and away. Don't worry it'll come good !

• Like Like x 1
  13. FiftyCal

FiftyCal Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Birmingham, England
    The low-level warning light comes on every 700 miles or so, at which point the oil is at the bottom marker. It came on again yesterday but haven't used the bike today so it's not been topped up yet to test what volume of oil it needs. I fitted a sprint manufacturing dipstick which is the same length as the original so it doesn't seem to be an incorrect dipstick issue.

14. FiftyCal

FiftyCal Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Birmingham, England
    The oil level warning light is the same one as the oil pressure warning light, only half as bright. I ordered the dipstick for the earlier 'grey' engine, so I'm fairly confident I have the correct one.

15. FiftyCal

FiftyCal Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Birmingham, England
    Topped up today with 200cc of oil. No leaks, beyond slight mist around the filler/dipstick due to the new dipstick's o-ring being a smidgen too thin.

16. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    not heard of oil level light b4

17. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Did you take it out on some tight twisties and thrash it yet ! It might be a motor that likes a lower level, I've seen a few as a motor mechanic. Some engines will eat oil until it reaches a point it is happy with, seen 4wd and trucks do this a lot, they like to be 1/2 way or below and then use no more oil.

18. Danmarshall

Danmarshall New Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hastings, England
    This is an odd one! disappearing oil...! Did you say the breather was blocked up? It might be worth taking the time to unblock it. a clogged breather hose can change the pressure in the crankcase and force oil past the rings. Which may or may not burn oil. not sure what it does, might just push it out somewhere and burn off on the exhaust, sure you would smell that though? Anyway, may help.