Oil Change

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Daffy, Mar 18, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Daffy

Daffy Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Attleborough Norfolk
    Ok, so the bikes been laid up for about 5 months now, should/would you change the oil and filter before riding again?

2. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    The obvious first question/s would be how many miles has the bike covered and how long prior to being laid up was it since the oil and filter were last changed? If the answer is very few miles and less than a year, I think I'd just run the bike myself. Its your call of course and if you do it yourself an oil + filter change isn't very expensive.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I would go on how old the oil is and and how many miles it's covered. I changed the oil and filter in March last year on the ZZR and covered just over 1k miles since. It's not moved since before Christmas so I've just changed the oil again this time. TBH the oil came out very clean so I could probably have left it in but that's just me being a bit OCD.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I'd leave it tbh if it's not done a lot of miles beforehand.
    Like others have said, it's not expensive to do if you want peace of mind!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daffy

Daffy Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Attleborough Norfolk
    Thanks guy's, the bike had only just had it's second service before it was laid up and has only done about 50mls since, so I think I'll leave it.
    :D:p:cool:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Windy

Windy First Class Member

Aug 16, 2019
    Shropshire
    I’ve just done an oil change after 7000 miles and just over 14 months. Think it was ready fo4 it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    oil is cheap.

when ever you are in doubt, change it and don't worry.

you have nothing to lose by changing it, and frankly, nothing to gain by delaying the service.

8. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Personal thing but I would check level if it’s fine and oil is clean leave it,my triple had done about 1k in last year after I broke my wrist but just mot today,going to change oil and filter in summer already got triumph filter and got Halfords trade cares for the castrol oil ✅

9. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Mileage is the key when it comes to oil and how the engine handles things of course, but most modern oils are fine just sat in an engine.

10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Laying vehicles up, particularly older ones, for long periods will be come more of an issue in future, not because of oil longevity but down to the increasing use of Ethanol in fuel.

11. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Had been lying about 6 months on sorn so prob ok it’s 2011 speedy

12. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    True there has been talk of ethanol affecting the friction modifiers and oil film thickness, but I would suspect that counter measures are already under development and testing since the talk of the amount of ethanol is being increased.
    But with today's lean-burn engine designs and better ring seal the amounts of fuel and combustion gases that actually get past the rings and guides is pretty minimal compared to engines of 20 years ago......we hope.

13. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I was thinking specifically of fuel system related problems. Ethanol is hydroscopic, more so than "normal" unleaded with all the problems that entails plus it can affect seals and plastic parts.

14. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I wouldn't change it I do the oil every 7000km .oil will Easley last a year if you dont do the miles it starts lose it verlosety after year so I am told so that's what I will stick with