Oem Service Manual For My2018+ Speed Triple Rs For . . £18

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Alan Gilbert, Jul 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I previously purchased a pirate copy of the 2016 S3R service manual for my RS but have been feeling less than happy as there are key difference between the bikes.
    I had heard about the Tritun site but wasn't aware that it does afford the ability to download and save the entire service manual and whilst time consuming and a little laborious, it certainly isn't difficult. The download took me about 21/2 hours and then the subsequent sorting out to create a useable PDF took about double that but . . . . I now have a fully functioning service manual with bookmarks to allow easy & rapid navigation to the desired subject
    For those interested . . .here is how to do it
    Go to the Tritun website and register as a new user. Having done so, enter your bike details but don't pay a subscription at this point. The download process is repetitive and laborious but the key to it is speed. If you spend 20 minutes faffing around, trying to work out what you're doing, you may well have to kiss goodbye to some more dosh should you run out of time.
    There is some information on the site for which no subscription is required and the download process is identical and so . . . the order of the day is practise first!!!!
    1. Create a folder on your desktop called "Tyre Selector Chart"
    2. Now Select the first page of the chart that you wish to save and click on the "print" Icon on the Tritun site - this will allow you to print or save the page as a PDF. DO NOT select print in your browser menu or right click on the page and click on the print menu option. If you do this, you will only be able to print/save the page as HTML which would be as useful to you as a brand new set of chocolate pistons. . .
    3. Having clicked on the "Print" icon you will now get a printer dialogue box popup where the default destination will be your printer. Change the destination from your printer to "print to PDF" and then rather than printing the PDF, your computer will save it. All the files in the service manual have the same default name and so you have to change the filename before saving.
    4. Having clicked on "print", navigate to your folder that you created earlier - the default filename is highlighted and so change this to "1" before saving.
    5. Now select the second page and save in the same way but change the default filename to "2" and continue until you have all the pages of the Tyre Selector Chart saved and you will have half a dozen numbered PDF files.
    6. Open each file in turn to check contents and name them with reference to the name of the same file on the Tritun site. This allows you to check you haven't duplicated or missed any and by including a number in the filename, you can ensure you merge the files in the correct order.
    7. Now visit the following website https://www.ilovepdf.com/merge_pdf and drop your handful of files onto the page and merge them. CAUTION - if you have six files for example . . select all six but drag them using the mouse in contact with the "FIRST" file as this is used to arrange the files in order. If, for example, you select all six but place your mouse over file number 4 before dragging and dropping, the files will be arranged in the order 4,5,6,1,2 - which is hopeless. Download and save.
    8. You now have a single PDF which you can call . .Tyre selector chart and which comprises all the pages from the original and saved in the correct order.

You Are Now ready to go for it!!!! Be warned. This is a major ball ache and is going to take a good 21/2 hours without coffee breaks etc. You will need to concentrate and work fast but I would strongly suggest you pay the minimum £6.00 and when you're locked out after an hour . . have a decent break or maybe revisit the next day!!!!
    The key to this is preparation. Create all the folders in advance that you will need to save the files to and to help out, I will list these below. Take care not to make mistakes.
    When you have finished, you will have almost 600 files and all numbered and some named (see below)
    Prior to logging out for the final time, you need to ensure that you have every single file and that they are all named and numbered.
    HINT . . . when your first hour's subscription has expired, you will have perhaps 200 numbered files, all stored in their relevant folders. DO NOT LOG OUT OR CLOSE THE TRITUN WEBSITE because at this point, the site gives you full access to the file names and folder structure of the manual and you can take your time opening each file you have saved, check its contents to ensure which file it is and then with reference to the manual on the website, number and name each file in order to ensure that you have them all, with no duplications or files omitted and you have also saved them in the correct order.
    IF YOU LOG OUT OR CLOSE the website you can't get access again to the above information without first paying for another subscription and so take great care.
    The above website only allows you to merge 20 PDF files and as I said earlier . . . you have close on 600 at this point. Merge all the files in their respective folders and before you save them, look carefully to ensure the website has stored them in the correct order!!!!!! Now merge, download and save them
    Keep going until you have a single PDF folder which you can now call Speed Triple RS service Manual. It will be a single file of 1151 pages formed using the 500+ PDFs which you downloaded, numbered, named and saved.
    This manual, whilst it contains all the relevant information you need, will be a ballache to use and so you need to insert some bookmarks. I found an open source software program called jpdfbookmarks-2.5.2 . . . . . . it is genuinely free, easy to use and exists for one purpose only - to add bookmarks to a PDF document. This allows you to effectively add an index that gives you near instant access to any part of the manual which you wish to reference. As with downloading any software - be careful of the website you go to and use you virus/malware checker as necessary but the software itself is legit and free of adware/malware. It does not require installing on the computer and runs on a standalone basis simply by clicking on the .exe file within the program folder. It is a truly excellent piece of software.
    See below for a couple of screenshots from my new £18.00 Speed Triple RS Factory Manual . . .I'm pleased as punch even if I do feel rather jaded!!!!!
    Footnote . . if anyone tries this and gets stuck - don't hesitate to post questions on here or send me a PM - I will help where I can - meanwhile - to help with preparation, these are the folders you will need for saving all your files - create them BEFORE you start downloading as it saves time
    1. Introduction
    2. General Information
    3. Service Tools
    4. Specifications
    5. Torque Wrench Settings
    6. Routings
    7. Routine Maintenance
    8. Engine Covers
    9. Cylinder Head
    10. Clutch
    11. Crankcase, Crankshaft, Connecting Rods and Pistons
    12. Balancer
    13. Transmission
    14. Starter Drive and Sprag Clutch
    15. Lubrication
    16. Engine Remove and Install
    17 Fuel System and Engine Management.
    The above folder should include the following subfolders
    a. Fuel System and Engine Management
    b. Exploded Views
    c. Engine Management
    d. Diagnostics and Testing
    e. Pinpoint Tests - Fuel
    f. Removal and Installation - Fuel and Air Components
    g. Removal and Installation - Engine Management Components
    h. Removal and Installation - Exhaust System Components
    I. Evaporative System Components
    18 Cooling
    19 Front Suspension
    20 Rear Suspension
    21 Brakes
    a. Exploded Views
    b. Braking System Maintenance and Safety
    c. Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Management
    d. Diagnostics and Testing
    e. Pinpoint Tests
    f. Removal and Installation - Front Brakes Components
    g. Removal and Installation - Rear Brakes Components
    h. Removal and Installation - ABS Componenents
    22. Wheels and Tyres
    23. Final Drive
    24 Frame and Bodywork
    25 Electrical
    a. Exploded Views
    b. Battery, Fuses and Relays
    c. Diagnostics - Starter and Charging Circuits
    d. System Diagnostics - Keyless ECM
    e. Pinpoint Tests - Keyless ECM
    f. Lighting Adjustment and Bulb Replacement
    g. Removal and Installation - Electrical Components
    h. Circuit Diagrams
    26. Electronic Systems Configuration and Setup
    a. General Information
    b. Instruments
    c. Keyless ECM
    d. Engine ECM
    e. Immobiliser System
    f. Triumph Shift Assist

manual 1.JPG

manual 2.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Captain Trips

Captain Trips Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Surrey, UK
    Hi Alan, thanks for sharing your immense efforts with everyone, you have suffered deeply on our behalf and I'm sure that your reward will come in heaven. (Lets face it, you won't get it here!)
    As the proud owner of a 2016 S3R, can I be the first to ask you what you intend to do with your pirated manual and whether I might be the first in line if you're getting rid?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    @Alan Gilbert
    Thanks for sharing the info, I had a look at maybe starting doing this yesterday as I got a new bike that isn't covered in the older Haynes manual (speed triple S 2016) and doing most of the work myself.

To be honest, I think its pretty bad of Triumph to choose this way. I tend to have a look at the manual before work, during work and after. Also, for smaller jobs its hard to keep torque values in the head and so on. Having to log in every time to their site, pay a few pounds and stress your way through a work is just annoying.

If they would have sold this as a one off, lets say tied to a specific bike (so that you buy the book and its tied to your VIN or something) allowing me to sit down and have a read and plan some of the bigger jobs I would gladly have paid a 50-100£ for it as a one off fee.

Does anyone know it there is a possibility to actually buy the whole service manual legally? Would gladly pay for it instead of having to sit for 2 hours dealing with trying do download all this and create a PDF out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    It's clearly a half-baked attempt to protect copyright. . . . .
    If they sold the manual by making it available as a fully functional digital download, it would get downloaded once before disseminating itself amongst Triumph owners quicker than Covid in a Leicester massage parlour. The option of paying an hourly rate is clumsy and inconvenient and the cost of a year's subscription simply and utterly ludicrous. I suspect this policy decision on Service manuals will cost Triumph customer loyalty and frankly, their best bet would have been to do nothing more than load the price of every bike by £50 and supply a digital service manual on a memory stick with each bike sold - this would totally protect their copyright and ensure that everyone who needs a copy will end up paying £50 for it and there would be no market whatsoever for pirate versions and/or infringement of copyright.
    Frankly, the current situation means it is only a question of time before someone else does exactly the same as me, then sells a few copies on eBay and before you know it, the material is out there in the "public domain" and Triumph will lose out due to their own stupidity. Furthermore, what price the added kudos!!! . . . how impressive would it be for Triumph to be the only manufacturer to supply a full workshop manual with each bike sold!!? - Everyone's a winner. Don't hold your breath - short sighted corporate stupidity all too often overrides common sense but they should realise, we are bikers, we like to fiddle, fettle, work on and service our bikes - give us what we want and we'll gladly pay for it but mess us around like this and at the end of the day, Triumph will be the losers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Richie Speed

Richie Speed New Member

May 11, 2018
    U.K.
    I made it 90% of the way through front suspension on my first hour...getting there but it is a total waste of my time doing this. The price of maintaining a service manual subscription is simply insane. I assume dealers get a significant discount or free access through their franchises agreements? Would hate to be an independent dealer working on triumphs if this is how they provide the manuals!

6. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    #6 SuperHans, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Hopefully Haynes will download the whole things and produce a workshop manual.
    I have emailed them and officially they don't have it in the works, but who knows. Would be nice with s Speed Triple S/R/RS 2016+ workshop manual.

I do think the front suspension on the Speed Triple is pretty much the same as the 2011-2016, so there might be stuff around the webb if you google.
    The torque settings might be different tho.

Check the https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFV4ve_A69n4VD0gQa8txMQ guys thread as well for some advice on how to service the bike, great source of info.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Ok, I need a manual now and are doing to try and log into tritun and download it via this software that was release ages ago.
    The webbrowser plugin did sound a bit shady, so will runt it in a virtual machine and use Debian (linux) and Firefox. Aperantly its going to work.

Not doing it for distrubution but to be able to have it when I am out having an intimate moment with the bike. If I need to logon everytime I need to find the right torque it would cost me a good chunk of money.

Will let you guys know how it goes, hopefully I will have an offline version of the manual.

8. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there,
    I posted this a while ago for free so although some are obviously not the rs, lots are the same etc.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FZtV1oDJYEhIO6tA55j-zdb90Hi5tYPt/view?usp=sharing

9. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
  10. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Ok, so I basically followed the instructions and it worked, no need for a Haynes manual :)
    Bare in mind I used Firefox on Debian (Linux dist) but they mention this plugin also works with waterfox (firefox clone).
    Now, as with all pieces of software, you don't know what it will do to your computer, so if you feel unsure about it, don't use it on your main computer.

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/tritun-downloader.910050/

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Downloading all the PDF’s is the easy bit - time consuming but not difficult.
    When I did it, I created all the Sections, chapters and and sub-chapters as separate folders and gave them the same name as in the online manual and then simply dumped the files into the relevant folders but to ensure I got them in the right order, I changed the wacky names before saving to 1,2,3,4,5 . . . Etc so that so could merge into one PDF in the correct page order.
    It is then a fairly big job to index it and incorporate live links.
    A total ballache to do it but my Speedy RS manual is far better than a paper version because it is so easy to cross-reference other jobs which have to be carried out before the task in hand.
    Wouldn’t want to do it again!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    With the plugin you don't need to do all that. Just open the page, click download (that is the function the plugin adds) and then it creates one big PDF file within 10 minutes.
    It doesn't seem to work with firefox on Windows anymore but it works with waterfox, a clone. Or you can do as I did, run a virtual Debian machine and do it from there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #13 Ducatitotriumph, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  14. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    Many thanks to the OP. What he failed miserably to say was once you have paid the dosh you are instantly transferred into a devilish time eating cosmos. I have NEVER in my entire not so short life experienced 60 minutes compressed into such a short time. It seemed as though I had just logged on when Access Denied appeared. Two incredibly short hours later I had what I needed.
    Many Thanks to the chap. Very well done indeed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Ha haa . ..thanks for that dav.a. A very apt description. I nearly fell off my chair laughing.
    Yeh, perhaps I didn't stress the point - it is a very sweaty hour or two which does require much attention to detail.
    PM sent . . . . .