Featured Objective View On Daytona 1200 Purchase

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Vecchio lupo, Apr 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vecchio lupo

Vecchio lupo Senior Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    Friends,
    I had all the greats back in the day Triumph/Norton/BSA and loved them all but hated them a little too. then in 1990 things came back into focus. In 2005 I picked up a used Bonneville 790 and began the love affair and tuned it and juiced it up and just loved it. Then I needed more. Picked up a 2001 Sprint ST for touring...whaaaat? Power/speed/handling and all for less than 2500 USD. That bike didn't need much fettling but that didn't stop me and it became my perfect sport tourer. That bike was stolen from me in Birmingham UK but I was a already a convert, a true believer if you will.

I got an old T300 Sprint 900 and gave it the full CRK cafe treatment and its my everyday pride and joy, but Im old and fat and the riding position along with the 14 liter tank means I struggle with distance and time.

I found a 95 Daytona 1200 That seems to be well cared for and cosmetics are good, just that the previous previous owner had a front end mishap and now it has a speed triple front end and just a fly screen up front , otherwise nice and unmolested. Whats the problem?????

96,260 km so what's that 59.800 miles NORMAL or ABNORMAL? it does not seem like that much spread over the years but should I automatically fear it or just listen for abnormalities and knocks and go from there?
    I dont trust myself because Im a believer and want it to be the answer to my sport tour needs, Ive got a Don Vesco, Rabid Transit fairing w/ lowers that would look good on it. Im on the edge of paying the 1100 euro asking price.

vesco.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Great engine broke the rules at the time with 147 bhp I had one with 50000 on it ran like a sewing machine

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    TBF miles on engines these days are less relevant than ever. I bought a Sprint ST last year with 43k miles on it and the engine has been the part that hasnt been a problem.

As another note, I just love your turn of phrase!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    thank you Sir, I figure if you take the time to read it, I should at least put in the effort, and write what Im thinking. Motorcycles are like high spirited women, God Almighty are they fun, but they will stab you for no reason now and again.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Ditto what @stinger said ! Especially the T300 range ! I had a 1994 Trident 900 (885cc) that I did 161,00 klms on it in six years , I sold it in 2000 , didn't see it for quite awhile . Saw it again at a rally in in 2006/7 it had a new speedo , old one died with 230,000 on it ! New speedometer showed 36,000 ... ! I spoke to the new owner , who was only the third ever. Motor was all original internally. Only motor parts He'd had to replace were the carburetors ! The pistons/slides wore out.
    These are great engines ! I bought a 1998 Trident 900 sprint executive last year , had it almost six months now , it had 92,000 klms on it , now shows 97,000 and still original and running Sweet as ever !!

cheers capt

• Like Like x 4
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Vecchio Lupo
    I would say go and get a long test ride find a twisty road. The reason how you repair a front to how I repair a front end completely differs and no mater what you get it for won't matter if you don't feel safe on it. Also don't know about over there but here it can affect the insurance you pay. As for bike the engines are bullet proof. They do tend to be a bit heavy though. Did you see the black sprint st on here for sale worth the trip to get a gem like it. Trying to persuade my self to find the readies at the present as I love the sprints.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    Hi Vecchio, Try and get a test ride on it. You'll then know if you want it or not.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    good advice, thank you, I will take it all in. Im reluctant to link the advert as there are pirates that would scoop me, but alas nothing ventured nothing gained. Of course the seller states the battery is flat and the TUV (MOT) has expired. I suppose I can bring a battery but I cant really ride it, Id just have to inspect the steering head very very close and eyeball the alignment . Here is the advert link....he wants 1100, I offered 800 and it has been radio silence for 3 days. I might have to go "all the way to 11" as Nigel Tufnell says.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?action=parkItem&id=280318918

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    If the only problem is battery is dead and you have one. For your own piece of mind it`s worth taking the time and fitting it. Just to start and take it for a spin. If seller is genuine and bike has no problems then they shouldn`t mind. You don`t want to get it home and find motors seized or something else. Looks a nice bike though so perhaps worth chasing. Looks can be deceiving though. If your willing to pay the full amount then worth messaging him if he is willing to get it started and you can test ride it you`ll pay full asking price. Even using a battery you have. Usually find that stops the `Radio Silence ` :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    #10 Vecchio lupo, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    good advice, will do exactly that. I just emailed and texted the seller stating Id pay his full asking price and asking when I can come inspect. Battery and fresh gas in hand.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hey VL. That Daytona looks pretty good for its age and mileage (kilometreage?) and, as most have said, the early T3 motors seem to be VERY dependable if given regular oil and filter changes and the valve clearances are maintained. I'd definitely want to hear it run and, if possible, ride it to see it steers straight - you want to be certain the front end replacement has been done properly. On the subject of which, I'd suggest that it might pay to find a good used pair of original 1200 forks and sell the Speed Triple items - anything with genuine Mk 1.Speed provenance and nomenclature seems to fetch a premium over the "cooking" version counterparts. It might get back a little of your outlay.

The Vesco fairing will look infinitely better than the nose cone fairing that's on there (from a Mk II, Speed, I think) and will certainly add to the comfort.

Overall I'd suggest that if it sounds right and feels right - it will almost certainly be right.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    OK Kiddies. It's game time. Im going up to look at it Friday morning. It has not run in over a year. This guy is owner #3, #1 wrecked it, #2 fixed it and our boy picked it up from him (no idea how long #2 kept it after repair) . I have very little in the form of records to go on (unusual for Germans) Im bringing a fresh battery and fresh gas, if it starts without the sprag clutch bang bang bang, and idles enough to hear if any loose change is trapped in the head, I suppose once around the block is all I get to pass judgement. Aside from excessive smoke. any other tell tale signs to watch for?

Thanks for the advice about offering full price if its all good. After I said I would go to 11, the seller emailed me and after our talk he said another guy was coming on Friday but since I was willing to go to 11 I could come by first. No doubt the other buyer was thinking 1000 and I was being kept on ice as a back up buyer.

Now Im number 1 with a bullet, you cant stop me. Im gettin a Daytona...maybe, if things work out.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    Adie...whats the diff between stock 1200 forks and MK I ST units? couldn't I just throw in a set of progressive springs for 100 bucks and be done, or is it more subtle than that? Or....whats the dream replacement? Hayabusa, GSXR, Harley Road King (insert joke here)?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    To be perfectly frank and honest, VL, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that sensible question! I'm not that clued up on the technicalities but a quick check of the parts lists on Fowlers shows that the sliders appear to have the same part number, though the stanchions are completely different - especially in list price! I'd guess that might suggest that the valving on the Speed is different?

My suggestion wasn't really about the forks per se, more about the fact that Speed Triple parts seem to command a higher price than, notionally, 'similar' kit (e.g. Daytona). That MIGHT be down to the fact that there were fewer Speeds built during their production years and, arguably, more of them thrashed and trashed into oblivion.

There'd be nothing wrong with leaving the Speed's forks on the Daytona as long as they've been properly fitted and are set up to suit the weight of the bike and rider, but, if they are originally from a Mk. Speed then they are likely to command a slightly higher price than the stock 1200 units.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Karl Belk

Karl Belk New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Buxted
    Go for it ! I owned a '96 Daytonna 1200 and it was the best bike I have had. Bought it new and recently tried to find it again to see if I coul dby it back...unfortunately it has been off the road for 4 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    ok, quick thoughts needed. My intended fairing, the Vesco is only 16 inches between the sides, the 900 radiator will just fit. How much wider is the 1200 unit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Karl Belk

Karl Belk New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Buxted
    Sadly don't have mine any more so can't measure it...can you estimate from this picture ?

DSCF0041.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Twelve hundred unit is probably the same radiator , the main difference in the front forks is likely to be stiffer springs in the "fairing" models as they would have a greater dry weight ! Also fairings would create down ward thrusts at speed ! Up market models had different damping/valving ?

Had 94 Trident , put Daytona springs in to stiffen it up ... !

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    According to Fowlers parts list the 900 and 1200 radiators have different parts numbers so are almost certain to have SOME difference, though what that is in practice I have no idea.

I think common sense might suggest that the rad. is slightly wider on the 1200 - the engine being one cylinder wider - as the height would probably/presumably be the same to accommodate the oil cooler.

Could you ask the seller to provide the actual dimensions?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    #20 XCaTel, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    I've been doing the valve clearances on my D12 and the fairing is currently off. Here is the rad width. There is a slight 15mm bulge at the very top of the right hand side (as you look at it) for the exit hose. So max dimension at the top is 46cm. The 44.5cm dimension is central.

D12 Rad Width.jpg

• Like Like x 4