Oberon Question

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Alan Gilbert, Jul 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I'm thinking of fitting a keyless fuel cap and considering the Oberon but like many of these designs, it appears to screw down with only 3 bolts and I am wondering if the other three are dummies/fake or indeed, if they can be removed.
    The reason I ask is because I would like to use a Givi Tanklock to carry a small tankbag and the version of the Tanklock for the Speed RS utilises one or more of these additional bolt positions. If they're fake and can't be removed, I will have to rethink my plan
    Thanks in advance for any advice/info . . . . .

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    AFAIK there are three short bolts out of the six and three long ones that actually hold the cap to the tank.
    Take a few out and check for yourself.

3. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Thanks Yorkshireman - I understand how the OEM cap works because I've removed mine previously but I was wondering about the Oberon . . I don't want to buy one and then find the shorter bolts are in fact dummies/fake and can't be removed. I need to use those holes to bolt my tanklock into. I've since emailed Oberon so will see what they say, unless anyone on the forum knows. Thanks for your comment

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #4 Ducatitotriumph, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    hi alan,
    I've got a keyless cap on and I also have the givi ring on too.
    Mine is a LighTech one though but probably the same setup.
    Like it's been said, 3 screws are holding the thing on but the rest are shorter screws with nuts on the back.
    Works great BUT don't forget to line up the rubber grommit for the breather pipe!
    (it'll be obvious when you see it!)
    speed rs too btw.
    Having a keyless cap is bloody great btw. A good addition.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Mine is a LighTech one though but probably the same setup as I had the same thoughts as you.

6. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Ha ha - you replied too quickly!! I read your post again and realised yours is lightech and so deleted my query but you had already responded!!

7. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #7 Ducatitotriumph, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1