Numb Hands

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Aidan, May 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Maybe it's an age thing, but my hands have been getting increasingly numb after riding (Sprint GT). It's now spreading to my arm and shoulders. It goes when I get off and move around. Anyone had the same? Any remedies?

2. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Could possibly be caused by vibration, heavier bar end weights can help.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    How long ago was the bike serviced? I’ve experienced a similar thing when a bike goes slightly out of tune and starts vibrating a bit.
    The bar ends tend to exaggerate the vibes right into your hands.

4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I had this with my GT. When I dropped the psi in the tyres by 2 in each wheel is disappeared.

• Useful Useful x 4
  5. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Time to change to one of the tiger models perhaps ?

6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I've always passed on them as I am bit challenged in the inside leg department. Bad enough paddling around the Sprint.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I changed to the 1st of my tigers years ago with back and neck problems. ( old age, basically)
    You can change the dog bones to lower the height. They are still tall but it helps quite a bit.

8. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I may go and test ride one over the BH weekend. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Next challenge is to find a Triumph dealer, they all seem to closing down, probably due the unreasonable demands Triumph are making.

Popped into Hughenden M40 this morning on the way back from a meeting, they’re closing and moving to Milton Keynes next weekend. They’ll carry on as an independent Triumph dealer, hopefully they’ll do well, nice people!

10. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I have a similar problem, but mine is carpal tunnel syndrome. Of course its got to be the right hand..... :( (1996 sprint 900)

Surgeon just wanted to slice and dice, but I didn't trust the slimy bugger..... Might have to though. It only takes a few miles and the feeling is gone. We do have rather lumpy roads here though, which doesn't help.

11. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    My ST had them on, odd things, they make the grips very fat and consequently I found I lost a bit of “feel” so not for me.

12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Grip puppies.... Hmmmmm. I know for a fact you're not thinking of what I'm thinking of :rolleyes:

Or maybe you are..... :imp:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I might try and get a grip on some puppies this weekend.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I get a similar thing when I ride my RSV but not at all with the Nightstorm, it could well be that it is all about the riding position so as previously suggested either risers or a bike change may well help.
    If nothing else it gives you an excuse to go and test ride a few things you may not have considered before :cool::cool:

15. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    All good advice above, risers and loose gloves particularly, also may help if you can turn the levers round the bars a little, did on mine anyway but I had changed the bars also. Grip puppies I didn't like, made the grip too fat even for my huge mitts and couldn't control the throttle right, also if you have hot grips it stops them getting as hot.
    I also found if I softened the suspension a little it seemed to help. Is your front wheel balanced, it could be that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    ''dog bones''?? What is this you speak of?

17. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    ty, got a link? I need to do this!!

18. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    Found 'em 40 quid too much //57 $ U.S.

19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    OP try some different handlebars that presents your hands in a different way to the current ones. My Honda used to give me problems and I sat on one with different bars and it instantly felt better.
    Fly by wire throttle is also better on the wrists/hands than cables.

The current 765 is miles more comfortable in the hands and arms area than the Honda cb1000r ever was.

20. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    unfortunately The one(s) on ebay were for the dual fork version, I have yet to find the mono side yoke version....anyone? Apologies to the o.p.