Not many Russian bikes around

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by steve lovatt, Apr 19, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Spotted this Ural bike and sidecar at Lepe today. Not sure of the age but not one of the new ones.
    IMG_20150419_155622.jpg

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Lovely things, those Ural outfits.

Dave

3. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I had a Ural once in 1976. A heap of the most appalling kind of shite. Without doubt the worst bike I've ever owned or ridden.

Looked great and always drew a crowd (mostly to laugh I think) but the build quality was worse than shoddy. I had it from new. I sold it back to the dealer after 6 months for half of what I paid for it. At least it was used to being at the dealers as it spent 3 months there in the first 6 months.

The engine burnt oil like it was going out of fashion and seized twice. The battery boiled over taking most of the frame paint off (not that it needed much encouragement). At night the exhausts glowed a nice shade of red which was quite useful as the lights needed all the help they could get.

It really was a terrible machine well deserving of the "urinal" monicker.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    SX
    I think the newer ones have Japanese alternators and much better brakes

5. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Strange that they weren't more robust, given that Stalin originally ordered them for the Russian army and they were supposed to endure the harsh Russian climate and terrain. Also, were they known as "Cossack" Motorcycles in the UK in the 70's?

6. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #6 folkbloke, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Yes, they were called Cossack Urals although the later models used the make "Dniepr" (iirc).

They were cheap for a 650 but they certainly weren't cheerful. I've no idea why they were so poorly built but they were.

An interesting side story....

After the second seizure the dealer refused to do anything about all the issues I was having so I wrote to the Russian Embassy pointing out what a bad advertisement the bikes were for Russia. A got a letter (which I wish I'd kept!) from the embassy saying something like "We are sorry you are having problems with your Russian motorcycle and we are thinking your issues will soon be resolved".

The dealer contacted me a few days later and I ended up selling it back to him for half of what I paid but at least it was gone. I bought a 400 Four which was a brilliant bike :)

I would love to have known whether the embassy did contact the dealer and what they said ........

• Like Like x 1
  7. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Brilliant! I wonder if they offered the dealer a winter holiday (in Siberia)

• Like Like x 1
  8. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    A book? Very kind of you but too much like hard work. I think I'll stick to songs (less writing ;))

Loved the story about the DAF :) You don't have a picture do you?

I was looking through my old photos to see if I could find any photos of mine but unfortunately those photos were in a previous life and I expect she's thrown them all out by now.

I did find this which was exactly as mine looked (except this hasn't got red pipes and has most of the paint in place by the looks of it). One thing I will say about it though is that the rubber saddles were unexpectedly comfortable.

[​IMG]

9. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    If only I knew....

• Like Like x 1