Norway ???

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BonnieCat, Oct 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    So, next year late July or August I want to tour Norway. The plan is to get a ferry from the top of Denmark to Norway and then get as far north as the Lofoten Islands (beyond the arctic circle) and if time allows to ride to the Nordkapp right at the top of the country. I think about three weeks maybe required.
    I want to do this as a challenge to myself, to raise money for a cancer charity and to see if I can get there and back without the bike falling on my foot.
    Does anybody else fancy this once in a lifetime trip. You married family guys may not be able do it but for those of us retired with time on their hands and an interest in awesome scenery might be up for it.
    Just thought I’d ask

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I'd love to..........unfortunately 3 weeks away is just not doable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I'd love to Nikki, but three weeks I can't, not next year anyway. Btw, I've been in a car as far as the Nordkapp a couple of times many years ago. Well worth the effort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Sounds great Nikki,i had intended on touring Norway next year but after looking into it properly I'm going to have to wait a few years until I'm retired, like you I was going to go up to Lofoton islands then about another 600 miles further north and head back down through Sweden,it will be over 5000 miles for me, so I would be looking at nearer 4 weeks as I wouldn't want to rush it. remember and take lots of photos!
    Here's the route I'm hoping to do
    norway.PNG

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Yup, that's a four week trip to do it justice, sightseeing and all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Looks pretty close to what I’m going to do but I think I’m going to come down through Finland and then get a ferry from Helsinki to Travemünde in Germany

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I agree. I think 3 weeks just to the Lofoten Islands but then an extra week for the Nordkapp part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Wow that looks spectacular

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    What inspired me was Richy Vida (Wildbad Travels) who went there a couple of years ago. If you haven’t seen the series of videos you should make time.
    But anyway it looks like you guys are going to let an old lady go all that way to the cold north on her own, and I thought you lot were my friends;);)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    The missden flyer joined an organised tour and said there was scope to come and go a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I did look at organized tours but they didn’t go as far north as the Lofoten Islands or the dates they were going clashed with our Scottish events or they were really expensive. One of them was over 5000 Euros (far too spicy for me), so I’m doing my own thing, at my own pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BonnieCat
    Again when I retire God Willing. But keep us all in the know as you never know how things turn out.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i'
    I've just been doing a bit of binge watching (i'm on episode 8 now), the Missenden flyer was really lucky with the weather (30 degrees most of the time), total opposite to Richy Vidas tour and what a difference it makes, you can see all the scenery in all its glory and the roads look fantastic,eposode 6 is where the the scenery starts to get really good when he is heading back down the coast:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    have you check
    have you checked out prices for accommodation yet? the food prices seem to be sky high..ie £36.00 for a pizza for one!,the Missenden flyer reckons everything is twice the price of back home..i think it's even more than that,when I go I'll be filling one pannier full of food!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yes I know prices are really expensive. But I think fuel prices looked to be similar to in Holland. But if you want to do Norway I guess you just have to pay up

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    For those short on time don't forget the Hurtigruten - the boat goes from Bergen to Kirkenes stopping at many places along the way, so you can get on & off wherever you want. You could pick which parts you want to see & ride those, then go on the boat overnight saving time & bothering with hotels. The obvious downside is you miss some of the scenery , & the expense. However if you were only interested in travelling up & down the coast you could try & work it so you do the opposite on the way back & hopefully see the parts you missed. What a pity they stopped the Newcastle-Bergen route....

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    looking at the videos it looks like it might be better riding down the coast like he did rather than up it? as you're riding on the right so you would be hugging the coast

18. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    Hi Nikki
    I am going to do a Norway ride next year and would be very happy to do your proposed trip with you.
    Can you send me a private message so we can swap email address and then take things from there.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Vince

• Like Like x 2
  19. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    I am going to do a Norway ride next year and would be very happy to do yourproposed trip with you.
    Can you send me a private message so we can swap email address and then take things from there.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Vince

20. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    PM sent