Northern soul smiles

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MetalliKarl, May 13, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MetalliKarl

MetalliKarl Active Member

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    Seems to be a bit of a rebirth at moment for Northern soul and I must admit I saw people of my age when the original was around going to a Gig all dressed up as though 18 again and gave me a big smile as their baggy trousers and Huge skirts flapped around it was like being transported back in time.... then I looked in a window and saw my reflection ...Ripped Jeans, oxford boots and A Motorhead T.shirt I got at Donnington 1984 ... achum hmmm Growing old disgracefully sorted check hope you all have fun..peace

• Like Like x 1
  2. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Ha! Last night at the Brighton Festival we went to see a show about the story of Simon and Garfunkel. I would guess the average age of the audience was 65 and not a Bob Zimmerman frame in sight ;) I never even particularly liked them in the 60s (a bit too wimpy for a Captain Beefheart fan) but I have since learnt to appreciate the sheer quality of Paul Simon's songs. I have to say the tribute duo did them justice. I'm just growing old but perhaps not as disgracefully as I thought I would ..... :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Northern Soul eh? Remember it well, in and around Leeds it was a big deal, back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    I went to one of the monsters of rock festivals at Donington , Rainbow & Judas Priest & Saxon were there , must have been about 82 I guess , saw Motorhead at Leicester de montford hall on their Ace of Spades tour , great stuff

• Like Like x 1
  5. MetalliKarl

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    Being there in the early days is something to cherish

6. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    I remember going to see Bill Hailey and the Comets in Leeds...double base player was actually stood on top of it playing!!
    Don't remember much Northern Soul, must have been during marriages heh heh

• Like Like x 2
  7. MetalliKarl

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    Cool I do enjoy seeing bands like that with big old bass, stray cats and skiffle bands, Bill hailey a bit before my time however I study all music so even though I do know very early stuff.

8. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    I'll have you know I don't have senior moments, ...I have senior hours!
    BUT I do remember 1st record I ever bought Deck of Cards by Wink Martindale... Nurse..lie down...dark room..bigger tablets..tighter jacket..

• Like Like x 1
  9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I have always been a rocker,came in via Deep Purple, Black Sabbath ( 1st album) etc. We used to go to Northern soul and even reggae nights with the lads by us and they used to come to our rock nights.It looked kinda weird with us rockers,long hair and flares and even weirder when they were head banging,lol.

Jeez someone older than me, Wink Martindale, now thats a name from the past. My first record was gonna be Lazy Sunday by the Small Faces but the little record shop locally had sold out so I got Valerie by the Monkees instead,mmmmmmmm yes I know, I had just got a player and HAD to get something,lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    I'd like to say my first record I ever bought was something cool like Deep Purple in rock , but unfortunately it was pinky & perky's greatest hits :(

• Like Like x 3
  11. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    lol,love it

12. MetalliKarl

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    I play a lot of the old classics in my sets, Deep purple In Rock is an iconic album, grew up on em along with Zep, Sabbath,Peter green when Fleetwood mac was at its best.King crimson, Genesis with Peter Gabriel Not Baldy drummer btw. Big prog rock lover. Played a lot of metal and Hair metal too, I am lucky to do what I do and could talk a glass eye to sleep on this subject of "real" music..peace \m/●○\m/

13. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    cool man. have to say I am not so much into prog these days but there used to be a pub in Birmingham in 70/71 where they played Sabbath, Crimson, Mac( agree about Genesis and Peter Green, tho saw him a few yrs ago and was disappointed with him now), Tull,Beggars Opera, great days. Purple and Sabbath turned it round for me tho and I prefer a more metal sound now. Occasionally catch One man and his prog on Planet rock and it doesnt work for me now. King Crimson, Atomic Rooster and Family excepted. Funnily enough I am a massive Queensryche fan ( Geoff Tate era) and i believe they play them on that show sometimes. mmmmmm

• Like Like x 1
  14. MetalliKarl

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    Funny I mention Queensryche to a few people and they have never heard of them, I prefer Geoff Tates voice to Bruce Dicki son and played many a queensryche Song in sets. I play a lot of Metal and write a lot too. Obviously Metallica lot of history with them, exodus, anhialator, Slipknot, sepultura, Maiden, Dream Theatre, Godsmack, Motorhead, Machine head, mőtley crue and such. Being mainly a Guitarist I guess anything where I can show off haha. Thanks for reply .

15. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #15 folkbloke, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Even though I'm from a time when I saw Black Sabbath in the back room of a pub in London and Hawkwind, Edgar Broughton, Mick Farren and The Deviants seemed to be playing somewhere every week I was never really a big heavy rock fan. I loved the guitar work and the noise but the music often left me cold.

Having said that I reckon Edgar Broughton's Wasa Wasa is one of the great underrated albums. Very much of its time but I loved it and still think it's an underrated piece of work. Heavy on guitar effects and a sub-Beefheart vocal with a political undercurrent and I think that political aspect has remained with me since then and still drives everything I write. It never made me any money but that was never a concern anyway.

For some reason it was bands like Fairport and Steeleye that really got my attention. As much as I enjoyed the energy and sound of a rock band with the folk rock bands lyrics could be understood, the sound was clearer and it was simply more fun :)

• Like Like x 1