Touring North West Ireland

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by lexy, Feb 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    After two really good tours of southern Ireland,me and the better half are thinking of touring the north of Ireland and coastline of County Donegal over a week in June / July time.I am really looking for advice on places to visit, any particular stretches of road/coastline to follow.We will be camping/b&b/pub rooms depending on weather. Any advice would be appreciated,a rough idea of our route is posted below and can be altered to suit.

https://goo.gl/maps/iweJdeRt4wv

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    As you will be close to Giants Causeway that's worth a visit,if you are into bike racing you could nip down to Ballymoney to visit Joeys bar,me and Andy did that, we were going to get something to eat there but they are missing a trick as they don't serve food:confused: we went onto the R251 just west of Letterkenny and went through Glenneaghn national park which was great, we then joined onto the N56 and down to Donegal..if you are away for a week and you didn't already do it the last time you were there you might even have time to do the coastal route down past Sligo to Co mayo and Co Galway, I've never been there but the roads look great,the west seems to be full of great roads so I'm sure you will have a great time:)

• Like Like x 3
  4. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    The glens would be preferred Andy. We've never been to the north so don't know what the script is there,other than the wee bridge or the causeway.Any advantage in just going straight over from Larne towards Donegal town and do the run clockwise leaving the boring parts for the home stretch to the ferry. Not looking for fast and furious,more stop n start (the mrs is a camera buff so photo calls will be plenty,especially on the coastal routes).

5. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Last year we did the Kerry Ring area going down to Bantry,The year before we did your idea of Sligo to Galway then on to The Dingle peninsula.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    When you're all sorted and get back we'd all appreciate a report. Well I would. You've given me an idea. I was planning to head back to Scotland after GMU18, but now that Dougie has organised the 1st Forum Annual Scotland Trip for May I reckon I'll head over to the Emerald Isle instead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Ha........experienced the wet side of Ireland and being Scots go well prepared for rain;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    20-odd years ago I did ten days in and around the Killarney area and then West Coast, Giants Causeway then home via Belfast and Stranraer, camping with my lad, by car. The only rain we saw was the one day we went canoeing on the big lake near Killarney. And feck me it lashed it down - well more horizontal then downwards.

Beautiful country and people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Dare I ask.........what is the never ending S bend,:)

10. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Connor Pass Dingle

Dingle Pass(37).JPG

• Like Like x 3