North Coast 500

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Cooper, Dec 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

#1 David Cooper, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Myself , and at the moment, about five of my mates have decided to do the North coast 500, in August 2019, we will be starting from Murton in Co., Durham, and none of us has a single clue what we are doing, , we will be taking tents, but as we are old and decrepit miserable bastards, we much prefer bed and breakfast, any help would be much appreciated.

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    if you go to "ridouts, trackdays touring and spotted" then click on the Touring logo on one of the touring posts.. then all of the touring posts will come up, then you can search them all,talk about making things easy to find:dizzy:...I know it's crazy and I've mentioned this to admin about having a separate "Touring" but to no avail:confused: myself and a few others have put up threads on the NC 500..i'll have a search and see if I can find mine and i'll stick a link up

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
  4. David Cooper

Subscriber

Thanks, Dougie.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Just a suggestion.
    Come to the California west coast and to 500 miles down this. All you need to bring is $$ for beer!

upload_2018-12-30_10-9-35.png

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    done this road twice..i was lucky the first time it was like in your picture:cool:,the 2nd time the weather was terrible and you couldn't see much at all which I've been told is quite common for the PCH..stopped of at the Bixby bridge the first time I did it..would love to go back again some day..not as scenic as Scotland though;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    You are correct that the PCH can be cold and foggy. Glad you had a chance to do it once when the weather was nice.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    West coast or North coast?

9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I think he means the North coast 500..unless there is a new route called the West coast 500!

10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    some of the roads inland from the PCH I think are even better biking roads:cool:,particularly liked Alices restaurant on the Skyline Blvd and the Latigo Canyon RD that leads to Mullholland Hwy has to be my favourite:cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I thought there might be one in Ireland. Anyway see Dougies post and do yourself a favour @David Cooper and stick with it, instead ,all the imfo is there, and you need to change nothing.An improvement on the NC500. take it from me,and Im practically local too.

12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    ah I never thought about there being one in Ireland..the link I put up is for the actual NC500 not the route we did in May;)

13. David Cooper

Subscriber

#13 David Cooper, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. David Cooper

Subscriber

It's 300 miles from here to the start point in Inverness, I've never been there before but I've been told the scenery in the countryside is stunning, can't wait to go.

• Like Like x 2
  15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Leave yourself more time than you think you’ll need, due to stopping to look at the views, beware some of the roads a single track with passing points and that time of year will be busy, the passing points can be off the tarmac so there’s a bit of a lip onto gravel. Apart from that if the weathers good it’s a great trip

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Don't take the A9 up to the start point in Inverness,the amount of folk that do this is unbelievable,if you want to stick exactly to the NC500 go up the A82 to Inverness and come back down via Tomintoul/Braemar ..for the best views do it clockwise

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    The Highland Council have developed a really annoying habit of filling the verges of single track roads with gravel. Of course in the dark it makes the road look wider so lorries drive on it. So, lots of loose gravel on bends.

Road conditions have deteriorated quite a bit over the last 12mths, so if you do much on the minor routes, watch out for potholes, and tramlines made by the snow ploughs.

Your other problem might be camping in August. Take plenty of midge repellent! They weren't bad last summer because it was hot and dry, but if its damp you'll know all about it. Mind you, hot and dry you get the clegs instead.....Also if camping rough, watch out for ticks. Lymes disease is quite prevalent up here.

Its all worth it though. Some spectacular scenery, and some nice twisty bits of road. The Berriedale Braes are good fun...

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #18 Sprinter, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Sounds like the Third World to me, I wouldn't go there, watch out for the locals and they'll steal it, ( that's how @Rich Bryce lost his, their so slick you don't notice straight away). Get your Yellow Fever jab too.

Can someone link to Dougie's Scottish Trip 2018, please, I'm on my phone.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i've watched a few vids on youtube of folk doing the NC500 and everyone has missed out the Lochinver coastal road, a big mistake as the scenery there is fantastic,i'd only miss it out if the weather was really bad,i don't think they are missing out this road deliberately it's just they see the road sign for Kylesku and Durness and take that road thinking thats the way they should be going

• Like Like x 1
  20. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Did it last year, DO IT! Your only regret will be you didn't spend enough time up there no matter how long you plan.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3