North American “daytime Running Light” Hack

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Apr 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    In North America the daytime running lights (DRL’s) are not on a separate switch. So the headlights and DRL’s are on at the same time, total BS. So today I had an idea, why not just unplug the headlights and leave the DRL’s plugged in. Awesome! If I ever need the headlights for night ridding, which is about never, it’s very easy and quick to just unscrew the back of the headlight and plug the light back in. Problem solved. Man, it looks so much better with just the LED DRL’s. Anyone else done this?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Same "problem" when I converted my 2015 94R to round LED headlights with halo DRL's, I added a good quality switch (rated to take the current) which interupts the permanent supply to the dip beam headlights, see here post #12. Mounted it in the fly screen instrument surround and wired the illuminated indication to be on with DRL / off when headlight on so that it's not distracting if I ride in the dark (which is rare). Main beam and flash is still available when dip is off. I've also fitted a gear indicator as the 2015 bikes don't have one.
    Not sure with the latest dash whether you have any room for a switch.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
  4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Very nicely done sir. Looks great. I’m not that talented and I don’t want to f around adding a switch. I have considered ordering the European switch gear, and I may do that in time. But for now I’m going to give this a go.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ok, so I parked the bike out on the road and had a look at the DRL’s in the daytime. They are not very bright, so I plugged the headlights back in lol. It didn’t look very safe to me, as they are not that noticeable during the day. I’m disappointed as I really liked how it looked with just the DRL’s on. Oh well. Maybe I will replace the headlights with a LED conversion kit one day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have the factory "Passing Lights" on my America. They have thier own switch and relay. But I plan to add another switch and relay for the main beam. Then I can run what lights I want to whenever. I have already found all the parts. Just need to get around to it. ...J.D.

Passing Lights.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. JonS-Triumph

JonS-Triumph New Member
    Subscriber

Nov 3, 2023
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I was going to start another thread but this thread is pretty close, so I will just add on here. I just got my new Speed Twin 1200. I live in the US. There is no daytime running light switch on the left hand side which the manual indicates should exist for the speed twin. Later on page 60 of the manual it says if equipped. I just tired all combinations and in no case will the DRL light come on. It seems as if there is only the high beam switch which does illuminate when you toggle the switch on the front left handlebar switch set. From what I can tell the DRL is always on with the low beams - no way to turn it on or off. When you change to high beams you get high beams, I don't know if the DRL goes off. I think it should.

Is this all correct?

I have been so impressed with everything about the bike in the short time I have had it. This is the only flakey thing so far.

8. Marco Wikstrom

Sep 28, 2023
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Reducing one's visibility to cars seems kinda dumb to me.