Noobie needs technical help with dash

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gaz Deason, Apr 3, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
    Right so I have a triumph daytona 650 and it runs fairly well, never any major problems but........
    I have just noticed when it is just nicely ticking over in neutral the headlights and dash lights flicker, nothing to serious but today when I went out on it the speedo and in fact entire dash constantly kept on resting itself as if I just turned it on. This didn't effect the way it rode, so in my lack of knowledge I assume it is an electrical problem of some sort. Please help before I get stranded some where ;)

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I would be doing two things with a multi-meter set on 0-20v DC:

1. Without turning anything, on the bike - measure the voltage across the battery + and - terminals. A good battery should read about 12.7 volts;

2. Now with the engine ticking over - measure the voltage across the battery terminals. If the bike's charging circuit is working properly it should read 13.5 to 14 volts.

3. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Could it be a dodgy earth connection somewhere, that can sometimes cause these stupid little problems. Could be worth checking the earth connections for corrosion/tightness

4. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
    OK so battery is all fine. I can only guess loose connection or corrosion. I shall look

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I was hoping you would post the readings you got for the 2 tests, so we could do further diagnosis.

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Biglad is on it as usual but worth looking for loose or corroded earth.

7. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
    I will post readings, sorry.

8. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
    So, bike off it read 12.33 ticking over it finally settled at about 14.1

9. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
    #9 Gaz Deason, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    It's getting worse now. All lights are flickering rear and front. I will try and post video if I can, also I had starter problems a few weeks ago and took it to the garage, the guy said a relay was buggered and swapped it for a new one which he said was the same type but not original to the bike.

10. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
  11. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yes I would agree with Al on this bad earth or loose connection, possible corroded semi broken wire within its plastic sheath
    a bit of a ball breaker but once all earth's checked it will be a case of checking each wire visually and with a meter.

12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That sounds like the charging circuit is working fine.

Having seen the video I would say you have a faulty circuit or LCD screen. See how much a clock set goes for on Ebay.

13. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
    So, as an act of desperation I took all fuses and relays out gave everything clean and check replaced everything and the problem has been solved it appears. Maybe a loose fuse or something?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Glad you sorted it, electrical faults are a total pain in the a%$e.
    Happy Days are Here again. :)

15. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Brilliant News Gaz, yep something as simple as a badly seated fuse, SPOT ON !!!

16. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi Gaz did this effect all lights on bike even road lights, i am glad you corrected the fault but i always like to find what the exact fault was if i can.

17. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
    Yep all the lights and at one point the rear light was flickering wildly, I think the only lights not affected were the indicators.

18. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    And they are meant to flicker LOL. glad its OK now but that seams to be a main supply cable problem to me.

19. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
    Well I shall keep an eye on it, I even feel that the garage may have detected my lack of knowledge and did to get more money out of me.....

20. Gaz Deason

Gaz Deason New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Colchester
    Thanks guys for help