Noise From Tank After I Turn The Key In The Ignition

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by JChimpo, Mar 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    #1 JChimpo, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Hi all I have a 2019 street twin. I recently removed the tank to sand off the old paint and once I reinstalled it I am getting a noise when I turn the ignition to on (not the engine). The whiny noise doesn't stop until I turn the ignition to off.
    See video, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the reply Smilinjack. Before I removed the tank the fuel pump would prime for a few seconds as expected. Now I hear the fuel pump priming along side the noise in the video. The fuel pump noise stops but the other noise doesn't stop until I remove the key from the ignition. I'll add another video so you can hear both sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    I'm pretty sure I have them on the right way. I remember making a mental note (not that my mind is as sharp as it used to be) I'll double check but wouldn't that prevent the bike from starting? I can start it up with no problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    Hi yes I just checked and the breather hose is on correctly as well as the two connectors. I had the tank leaning on my leg just now and turned the ignition and the noise is not coming from the tank, it seems like it is coming from whatever is behind the silver perforated plate just behind the engine. I'll have to look up the name for those parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    You kidding? if it wasn't for you I would still think it's the tank! Really appreciate all the responses!:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    I was worried about taking it out because of that noise but I'll take it regardless. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    Took the twin out for a ride last night and the noise has not gone away. I took off the intake cover and found where the noise is actually coming from. Check the video out, the piece is called the "throttle body assembly".

• Like Like x 1
  8. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Hi JChimpo. I have the same problem with my Speed Triple RS. What happened next?
    I have my own thread here
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/buzzing-noise-under-the-tank.23540/

10. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I have a Street Twin. Electric fuel pump running. Mine does that and it is normal. I have 7,000 miles on my bike and same sound every time I turn on the ignition. Bike runs great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    Hi, my bike is still making that noise. I've ridden it a lot since and the bike runs fine but the noise does not go away. Have you always had that noise or, like me, is it something that started recently? I've had the bike close to a year and it never made that noise before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    If you listen to the video you can hear the fuel pump prime and then stop the other noise keeps going. I've had the bike close to a year and it never made that noise before...and yes my bike runs great also but I'm a little curious why this noise started out of the blue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland

• Like Like x 1
  14. JChimpo

JChimpo New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    New Jersey
    The noise I have sounds nothing like that. I actually took off the throttle body, inspected and cleaned it, and that didn't help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    #16 BigCLM, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    I listened to the video again but it still just sounds like my bike. I could not tell from the video that it 'primed' and shut off. The noise was continuous for the short duration of the video. The electric fuel pump is inside the fuel tank. It does not just prime and shut off, it has to operate continuously to provide around 30-40 psi to the injectors. And there is also an internal fuel pressure regulator that relieves excess flow back to the fuel tank to maintain the correct pressure. I believe some of the noise is from fuel pump motor as well as the seat of the pressure regulator valve as it relieves excess flow back to the tank.

Sorry but it just sounds the same as my Twin going on 3 years now.

But being a 2019 and under warranty if you are concerned just take it to a dealer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tomap

Tomap New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Sverige
    Hi there,

That problèm just happend to me today on my newly bought t120, 700km... Frustrating for a 2 week old bike isn't it ?

Did you solve your issue ?

I have the 800km service booked on Wednesday and hope for an fix to that noise.

Does it just need an ecu reset or is the throttle defective ..?

18. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Point it out to them at the service and see what they say. My bike still does it but I've stopped worrying about it. It idles and runs fine.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hiya buddy, this is normal, my street scrambler makes the Shem noise.