Noise "cameras".....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pegscraper, May 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    It appears the gloves may be coming off in the fight against loud bikes and cars. The article mentions a study that shows the safety aspect of running a loud exhaust is nonsense and I think everyone already knows that. It's just used as an attempt to justify a loud pipe. A bike doesn't have to be excessively loud to sound nice. I'll hold my hands up and say I've run race cans/pipes on bikes years ago but, like it or not, things were different then and the times they are a changin', just ask Bob Dylan:p. If a worst case scenario materialises and riding bans in certain areas are implemented then we're all fecked.
    It's also more ammunition for the "go electric" brigade with their overpriced twist and go scooters.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news...P&email_hash=92e0e777dee3490fc8427e978d8f7444

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Thank heavens we were here when real vehicles were on the road. V8 V12 etc - can you imagine Steve McQueen using a Tesla in Bullet? Or Knightrider Kit on AAA cells.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

No.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Getting complicated, speed/noise camera ahead....
    Brake, roll throttle, dip clutch, coast. ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Is this not a case of.....
    Out law guns then guns are held by outlaws.

Will this just not drive noise MORE into the countryside whilst we all behave ourselves burbling through the urban areas on tickover?

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I think they maybe thinking of the same here in Australia , we already have huge fines for noise pollution control on Car's & Motorcycles. Below copy of first link on excessive noise laws in Australia !!

These offences are punishable by a fine of up to $1250 or imprisonment for 6 months [see Summary Offences Act 1953 (SA) s 54(5)]. Police officers may also have the power to seize and impound a motor vehicle emitting excessive noise [see Clamping, impounding, seizure and forfeiture

Thats ~ £600 ~ and a lot of time in the klink ! I know WA police have had noise blitz on more than one occasion ! Nearly got pulled at Como beach front about 14 yrs ago, I had a 1999 Sprint ST 955 @ the time , can was gutted (no baffling or sound absorbing wrap) but The Officer selecting who went 'IN' the testing area waved me through !! There were quite a mix of Bike's.
    Honda,yam, Kawa & Suzuki etc sports bike's
    Ducati's of all models
    Harley Davidsons largest portion of tests !!!

They were set up blocking the road at the Como hotel beach front intersection .... !

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

Not really. The article points out that many rural beauty spots, popular with bikers, are suffering from noise "nuisance" and alleged racing type behaviour so they will probably be targeted as much, if not more so, than as urban areas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    They may setup manned noise testing stations at or near the "entrance or exits" of popular rural "race" tracks, somewhere they might be hard to get around !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marks

Marks New Member

Apr 15, 2022
    Campbelltown, SA, 5074
    Where I live the loudest bikes always seem to have an "L" plate on the back. Most bike riders I know hate the dreded Harleys with straight out pipes that hurt your ears when they accelerate away from you in a built up area. They are the ones that will bring us all undone. However, until it becomes "all about the money" and fines are large enough to warrant the effort I think we will be ok.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I guess it all depends on your view of what loud is.
    Most bikes that come from the factory are within the legal noise levels. The problem starts when after market cans are added. So it is down to individuals on whether to stay within the limits or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Georgez

Georgez Senior Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Pacific North West
    Trouble is the loud pipes are usually connected to some fool who has to be revving the engine to keep it running and believes it enhances their poor shifting/driving technique.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. JD_Lincs

JD_Lincs Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    My missus and I were well chuffed when we saw this story on the TV news. We're sick of the idiots that tear up and down our back street in the middle of the night ( probably so they won't get caught) with their obnoxious, antisocial machines blasting away at full chat. Complete arseholes if you ask us and deserve whatever they get.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #13 Iron, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
    Of course loud pipes save lives. You can hear a girlie Sportster with straight through pipes from miles away and even more miles away when it's passed. I never have straight through pipes and quiet them down as much as I can on all my builds (the loud pipes really annoy me when I'm riding). I can't even remember how many cars have moved out of my way when they've heard me coming, particularly when it's warm and the windows are open. Pedestrians nearly having a heart attack when they've heard me rather than just stepping off the kerb while looking at their phone.
    The study is just a joke - some students measuring from inside a car with the windows shut and the music on. pffft.

The old BSAs and Trumpets I've owned have all been noisy as standard but would easily pass the law's requirement of 80dB riding passed at 50kph in top gear. Sitting still and revvin the bollox off of them would, however be blimmin' loud.

Quotes from the Motorcycle Industry Association is just them pushing their own agenda - protecting their industry mates from all those "illegal exhausts".
    Trials by Atkins- Jacobs design contractors again generating their own work in the Highways industry as usual.
    Police saying that if there's enough complaints they'll have to clamp down - what? just like they are clamping down on motorcycle thieves and all the other 'petty crimes' they can't be arsed with. Currently they find loud pipes by "subjectively patrolling police".
    Fuck me, I can't hear myself think when an ear splittin HOG group ride by. Or when there's some carrot revving to the limiter on his wheel spinning rocket ship. I don't need to be 'subjective' when these tossers are about. There they are, over there - go fine them.
    The whole thing just smells of money gathering.
    Go pick on the bad boys and earn a living for a change rather than justifing easy pickings from me.

It makes me so mad, so it does :rolleyes: Ah well, I'll be hanging me old bikes up on the wall soon. Here's a calm picture that I took earlier today (to get away from wiring up the Bonny) while out for a stroll. Thank you.....over....

5.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I think the bigger picture needs looking at, this is an assault on our freedom to choose, most aftermarket exhausts are marked road legal, they do become noisy when the baffle is removed, but most people leave them in. It is not only noise monitoring cameras to worry about, more is to come. Regarding the noise cameras, we have the Conservative Transport Secretary Grant Shapps to thank for pushing this agenda forward, trials are due to take place in the near future, and is being led by Atkins-Jacobs joint venture, the director is Andrew Pearce, he is who we have to thank for this assault on our freedom of choice. Pearce is set to make obscene amounts of profits if this rolls out nationally. There are 4 areas across England and Wales for the trials, no interest as yet from the Scottish Government thanks goodness. One of my classic 65 year old machines has what I can say is an extremely loud exhaust, louder than most after market cans with no baffle in, it runs straight through pipes, that is how it was made, their is no production quieter exhaust made to replace them (nor would I do so, it would take away it's heritage), I love the noise it makes, so sod the Snowflake Brigade I will continue riding it in anger (that's what it was made for). On the same theme of eroding our freedom of choice, the recent Anti Tampering proposed regulations will not now ban motorcycle modifications, thank's to all forum members that took the time to respond to the consultation document (the DfT did not make it easy for us with the unwieldy document), thank's must go to MAG who first brought this to our attention, and did an amazing job. Having written to most major motoring organisations asking what representations they proposed to countenance this ill thought out proposal, I received no responses whatsoever, apart from acknowledging my correspondence, as a result I will not renew my long standing IAM membership for both bike and car, I also declined to renew my AA membership, and sourced an alternative, MAG is worth the membership as they truly represent motorcycling interests. NABD was also vocal regarding the proposals, as was the NMC. I await the detailed plans.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The proposed anti tamper laws are mainly concerned with increasing a vehicles emissions by removing/bypassing systems or parts such as CAT's and remapping etc.
    The "assault on our freedom to choose" is as maybe but it's the relative few who choose to make their vehicles illegally loud that will ultimately spoil it for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Imprisonment?! :p There must be more room for inmates in Australians prisons than here in the U.S. Geez, it would make more sense if red light runners were imprisoned than drivers/riders with loud pipes. Red light runners KILL people, FFS! At least that's what's happening here in Tucson. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    And I'd bet that the "rural beauty spots" that are areas for tourism or havens for the rich would be more likely to be where noise ordinances are implemented and enforced.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Follow the money........ :(

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Anti tamper laws - here in WA tampering with your exhaust and making more noise is punishable by huge fines and even jail time , but if your vehicle's exhaust gas neutralizing catalytic converter dies and is no longer working , there is no Legal Requirement to replace it with a new or working one !?

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  20. Marks

Marks New Member

Apr 15, 2022
    Campbelltown, SA, 5074
    Iceman, that wasn't a post, that was an epic. You should be writing opinion pieces for your newspaper