No Word For Subtle In Australia

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by crispey, Dec 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #1 crispey, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Warning, I know it's not real footage but it gets quite graphic at times

At the risk of being called a snowflake
    Drive soberly out there

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    #2 Biker Jock, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    5th November 1968, I was a passenger in an Austin 1800 (compared to other cars of the time, built like a tank), heading home somewhere in Perthshire about 7pm. It was one of the first times I'd worn a seat belt. We stopped for petrol, then shortly after leaving the petrol station, there was blinding light then chaos.

I got out of the car and thought it was raining, but it was my blood coming from head and face wounds. I lay on the grass verge. The driver was still in the car, conscious but he couldn't move. Further up the road, lit by cars that had stopped to help, was the remains of a sports car.

I was very lucky, my right upper eyelid had been cut through, but my eye wasn't damaged. I'd lost a lot of skin from my forehead, and had a deep cut across my nose. I felt every stitch going into my eyelid - it was very painful, and it took years for the scars to fade.

The driver of the Austin had a broken ankle, broken ribs from impact with the steering wheel, and a broken jaw.

The driver of the sports car had been drinking. He survived, but was in a sorry state. The worst thing was sharing the ambulance with him because of his cries whenever we went over a bump - and being in the bed opposite him on the ward.

Aged 18, I became passionately anti-drink-driving, and got into many arguments with people (strangers included) about it until it became more socially unacceptable. But folks still do it...

• Like Like x 3
  3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I have a good mate of 20 odd years , he has been a volunteer Firefighter here in Northam WA for 24 years ! He says the Victorian TAC advertisement is quite mild compared to reality ! He has attended many fatal accidents in the district. Three in the last twelve months or so. Drink and Drug driving ads aren't getting through to people.
    The toll has only halved in twenty odd years. The belt up (seat belt) campaign did better than that in just a hand full of years and still not all wear them !
    Add the much greater distance's people travel , our roads aren't that safe .... An average car here can do 100,000 in four or five years !

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Oh and Drug driving numbers is now nearly twice the numbers of drink driving !
    Drugs stay in the system potentially for several days affecting driver perception and reaction time's .
    I drove professionally for nearly 40 yrs and only one speed infringement ! And that was a whole three klms over the limit !
    Had two collisions (accidents) in coaches , not charged as not at fault . I have never been tempted to drink and drive .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1