No Power To Dash Or Dials

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Laurie Smith, Apr 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Laurie Smith

Laurie Smith New Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Northampton
    Hi everyone and thanks for help in advance,

I have a 2008 triumph sprint st 1050, which was working fine when I put it away for the winter. Now she's back out again I can't get any life out of her.

The headlights are working and there's clicking sounds coming from inside the bike when I turn the key, but nothing on the dash or dials. And nothing when trying to start as normal.

I've tried charging the battery (it did seem a bit flat, judging by the headlights), put a brand new battery in. I've checked and swapped around the fuses (under seat and side compartment), and checked the relays.

Nothing has made a difference, so any help is appreciated, especially as a garage is out of the question currently and I have loads of time.

Thank you!
    Laurie

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Laurie Smith.
    Yes do check all the switches and check for corroded connections. And do check the ignition switch is not corroded or lost a wire. Do keep us in the loop.
    Regards
    Joe

3. Laurie Smith

Laurie Smith New Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Northampton
    Sorry, I didn't mean to go quiet and thank you for the help.

I have pulled apart the kill switch and given it a good clean inside the switch and at the connection under the head light. This hasn't made any difference. I have however noticed that if I leave the kill switch to off, then turn the ignition key and wait for the alarm to set itself. If I then flick the kill switch to on, the alarm goes off. Does this suggest the kill switch works? Also, same idea with ignition switch, the alarm sounds when I turn ignition on and also indicators work. Does this suggest ignition switch works?

I also took the faring off and cleaned every electrical connection I could find.

I still need to try headlight bulbs. Now only the middle light ( not headlight) is coming on at the front.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Laurie Smith
    Well you are getting somewhere. That kill switch is no more than an emergency switch. People use it all the time to turn of their bikes and as a general on off it's not designed for that and should only be used in an emergency. Try wiggling the ignition switch wires see if it does anything. And if you are using the Datatool alarm disconnect it and reinstall the bridge wire for it as these alarms are renown for faults.
    Regards
    Joe.

5. Laurie Smith

Laurie Smith New Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Northampton
    Hi all,

Many thanks to everyone's help I fixed the issue. It turned out to be the datatool alarm. I was nervous about locating it and taking the tank off because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to put it back together again. The risk paid off though and it wasnt too difficult. I found a YouTube video to show how to disconnect the alarm without a blanking socket. THANKS!

It also has another, longer standing problem. At high revs the power dies. It seems fine at low revs, but if I open the throttle all the way the revs go down and it slows, so when riding I have to find the sweet spot to pull. Any ideas on this one (I promise it's the last)

• Like Like x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Laurie Smith.
    On the revs check your rev limiter. Not sure about the 1050 but I know the 675 has a limiter and if you rev above it the bike slows and the engine ease's of. Let us all know if this helps. And don't worry about asking a question or two that is what it's all about.
    Regards
    Joe.

7. Laurie Smith

Laurie Smith New Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Northampton
    Yes it does have a rev limiter, but its changed. I can't get to the revs that I used to be able to

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Laurie Smith

Laurie Smith New Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Northampton
    Yes it does have a rev limiter, but its changed. I can't get to the revs that I used to be able to

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Again it just proves the point that full descriptions of bike and problem would have saved a lot of guesswork. Had you mentioned it had a datatool alarm I reckon just about everyone would have said disconnect it ;);)
    Alarms are a pain and invariably go wrong causing non starting and cutting out issues :confused::confused:
    Glad it's sorted now though :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Laurie Smith
    Yes there is a way to readjust the limiter. Then it should be fine. I myself am not sure how it's done as I just ask my boy to set mine on the 675. But jump back on YouTube and check it out.
    Regards
    Joe.

11. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If it has been standing a while it may be worth putting a dose of RedX in the tank, this is good for old fuel, cleaning fuel rail, jets, carburetors and getting rid of carbon deposits

Clean out your air filter too, it is known for mice to fill air boxes with their nuts and/or bedding over winter

12. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Also, when putting a bike away over a long period that has an alarm, put the alarm into sleep mode
    This disables the alarm and thus stops any drain and damage to the battery
    You still need to keep the battery topped up over the period

13. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    #13 SprinterII, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Clutch slip? Check your clutch adjustment.

Edit. you said revs die so it aint clutch, soz.

14. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I have very little mechanical knowledge I'm afraid but it sounds like a fuelling issue to me :blush::blush: