No More " Smart " Motorways

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by curly, Jan 12, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    The government, in what seems to have been one of its more lucid moments, has announced that no more smart motorways will be created for 5 years whilst the safety issues of existing ones are assessed.
    5 years is a long time, too long in my opinion.
    At least the wholly ridiculous concept is being looked into, hopefully common sense will prevail?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    The companies that built them need to taken to court too imo.
    There were meant to be a lay by every 2 miles (?) when they bid/got the contract and then didn't build them in.
    They just got got away with it with no penalties and people died because of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    They were a very bad idea from the start. You can’t choose where you break down and getting across to the hard shoulder is bad enough when other drivers don’t know what you’re doing so expecting to get a failing car or bike or any vehicle to a “safe” refuge is complete madness. Add in the fact that most drivers aren’t concentrating fully and don’t react in time to a stranded vehicle in a live lane and it’s no wonder lives have been tragically lost. #bringbacktheshoulder

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I don’t travel on them often, but I’ve often thought uncomfortable at the thought of breaking down, especially if they’re busy... but I wonder how much the failure lies with careless drivers, rather than the design. We often have seen and felt the consequences of poor driving as bike riders... but the accidents on these “smart” roads tend to highlight the consequences of lack of attention and impatience back in the world of 4 wheelers and above.
    The finger of blame points often at motorcycles as dangerous risk takers if we’re involved in an accident, but it’s the road to blame if the majority of accidents involve cars/trucks?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Our local A590 a perfect example DCS!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    I have the pleasure of traveling on the M4/M5 Smart m/way near Bristol on a regular basis. If i could have a £ for every time i see some twat driving in the lane with a big frigging red cross over it, i could have an extra holiday every year. Scary stuff. :(

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Poor driving is definitely a major factor in the safety on any motorway, but that poor driving and the danger level it poses is significantly increased on a smart motorway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    It should be every 1km I believe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Lane discipline, or lack thereof is another issue with smart motorways. The more lanes you give em, the worse it is, dawdling along in lane three when one and two are empty:mad:
    This could turn into rant of the day:p

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #10 Octoberon, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    The use of the word 'smart' seems like quite the misnomer. I welcome the pause to gather real data but I hope it isn't whitewashed in the end just so some beaurocrat or minister can meet an arbitrary target.

If the motorways are so damn smart, how come they don't tell people in the wrong lane to move over.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    One question I have, do any other countries use Smart Motorways?

• Like Like x 1
  12. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    upload_2022-1-12_9-18-1.jpeg

Not the A590 sign, but similar

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Here we go…….
    Don’t start me on that!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    There’s one similar on the M62 ‘Brighouse’ roundabout that say ‘X’ number of accidents in five years, well the sign has been there 20yrs that I know of so it can’t be ‘X’ then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  15. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Yeah, that’s about right!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Sorry:(

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    It seems to me that the fundamental concept of the 'smart lane' motorway is sound, almost sensible, but ..... BUT, as has been intimated, to work properly it relies entirely on the common sense, awareness and ability of the people that use it. Let's be honest - if the gantry signs say 50 and you've just steamed up 15 miles of 3 lane at the "acceptable" indicated speed of, say, 78mph (within your 10% plus 2) slowing down to 50 is almost like coming to a halt!

If every driver - regardless of vehicle type - observed (key word, that!) the real speed limit and drove with the appropriate levels of care and caution there would be far fewer collisions. Care and caution in this sense being - driving at an appropriate speed for the conditions; leaving a suitable gap between the front of your vehicle and the rear of the vehicle in front and being alert to and observant of all road/traffic and weather conditions ...... including signage. Yeah, I know, sounds very 'holier than thou' but when you're in charge of a lethal weapon you really should treat it with the utmost respect.

None of that is meant to dismiss the likely shortcomings and very real practical requirements of 'smart motorways', i.e. clear and comprehensive signage; intelligent traffic/speed/weather condition sensors; adequate and effective control room procedures and, probably the most important of all, sufficient easily accessible refuge areas.

None of this is meant to dismiss or diminish the anger and frustration of those who have lost relatives in needless and careless collisions anywhere and in particular on smart motorways. But, ultimately, it's almost always down to one thing - human error or inadequacy. The smart motorway just furnishes the environment for the unsmart human to demonstrate his or her true level of ability.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    There’s a section j26 chain bar M62 with the first fuck up that springs to mind, heading ‘east’ the turn off is a dual one and is to the M606 which runs parallel to the M62 towards Leed. This area is very nearly gridlocked at times and smart speed restrictions come on but the gantry also issues the same speed restrictions over the link section to the M606 which is always perfectly clear?? Set up by Dickheads again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I used to pass one every week on the A68 in Northumberland that never changed. It undermines the message. They'd be better off sating something like, 'The accident rate is higher than average for motorcycles on this road - be careful!'

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1