No Claims Discount - How Long Does It Last If Policy Lapses?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Bad Billy, Jun 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Just wondering how long after expiry of a policy that you no claims ceases to be valid?

I had a bike policy with 9 years plus protected NCD on it that expired on May 30th 2019, didn't have a road bike so had no need of insurance, will insurance companies still take that into account?
    I have a horrible feeling it might be valid for only 12 months.

But I also have an unused car policy that has max NCD on it that only expired in Feb this year (daughter now has her own insurance), is car NCD transferable to bikes?

It's a bloody nightmare this NCD lark, it takes years to accumulate & possibly gone after 12 months. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  2. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Should be valid for two years providing you have the last letter of proof

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I 'think' you can transfer bike ncd to a car, but vice versa... But in any case if you negotiate you should be able to get it, or part of it, transferred as it means 'technically' you are a lower risk.

But, don't quote me.. Last time I heard of bike to car ncd swapping was a goodly few years ago.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Jolly good, shouldn't be an issue then :D

5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    If I have 2 years as suggested by @SleepyOwl then the bike NCD I have will be fine, I was concerned as I had an accident in Aug 2018 on my bike policy, but the policy had protected no claims so I didn't lose any NCD, knowing what shitbags insurance companies can be I am concerned that they may try and hike the premium now as I had let the policy lapse.

6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I would contact your insurance company and ask the question to confirm the situation mate. Got to be worth a phone call to be sure on where you stand. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Just ask your last insurance company for proof of NCB , they’ll send it free of charge because they have to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Yeah tried that mate, got the whole due to COVID not able to deal with your query over the phone please log in to your account blah blah bollox ...:confused:
    I forgot the password, tried to reset it didn't work :mad: so now e-mailed customer services & await their response :rolleyes: in the meantime I have been on MCN compare, Bennetts £153 fully comp with £400 excess with no NCD ... seems cheap?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Try Asda compare usually pretty good

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    have a look here mate. Gives a load of answers. I think some may take up to 3 years but not sure how much they charge for their policies.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Where? no link?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jaffa

jaffa Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2018
    MILFORD HAVEN
    yeh it is valid for two years from when your last policy ended

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Fairly sure it’s 2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve just got a proof of NCB from Bennetts and it does say it’s valid for two years.
    You’ll have to declare the accident whether it was under protected NCB or not and tell them how much the claim cost, both on your policy and the third party’s if applicable.
    I’ve just been through all that rigmarole myself. :confused:

15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Cheers for all your advise & input guys, NCD does indeed last for 2 years after expiry of the policy.

Just insured through Bennett's via MCN Compare (was cheaper than Asda compare).
    Now the original MCN quote with my 9yrs+ Protected NCD was £91.40 with a £250 excess (declaring my 2018 accident on protected policy & one spent speeding endorsement), but after being redirected to the Bennett's site & completing their questions it went up to £134.61 with a £400 excess??? :mad:

It was down to a question of whether I had ridden a bike of at least 600cc during the previous 12 months, I hadn't on the road but I had on the race track. :confused:
    Being a tight git I wasn't going to take the price increase lying down so got on the phone & spoke with a real person, after a discussion in which they verified my NCD online, they also accepted that as I continued to ride albeit on a race track that this counted as having ridden during previous 12 months. :)
    So final cost was £104.67 with a £250 excess for fully comp, all in all, I am happy with that so well done Bennetts. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  16. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Shame they weren’t so cheap for me.
    Despite them being the best value for the last few years having insured my R9T and Daytona together for £220 FC last year, they quoted me £660 for the Daytona and my new KTM this year. :eek:
    Confirms my belief that these insurance companies just pull a figure out of a big hat. :p

17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I agree mate, always shop around for best quote on everything from utility bills to insurance, why put any more of your hard earned in the pocket of someone else? ;)

They tend to load the premium on new bikes in my experience, TBH I just insured a 21 year old bike that is worth well under £2K even when back in full working order, much less to pay out if I bin that versus your new KTM.

18. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I get that they would load the premium for a new bike, but the Beemer was only 2 years old at that price.
    It’s all a lottery, and like you say, shopping around is necessary every year.
    The insurance industry really does need some tighter regulation and a shakeup. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Glad you got sorted mate.... it is always best to speak to a real person if you want to get the best deal :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  20. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Good result Billy :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1