Nitron Shocks - Word Of Warning. Closure! :-)

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Flashp, Dec 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LeezRyd

LeezRyd Noble Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Left side of the pond
    Early on, Flashp had asked for some pics of Hagon 2810's. Just so happens I've just received mine from the U.K., and mounted them this morning, on my T100

DSCN0397.JPG

DSCN0398.JPG

DSCN0399.JPG

DSCN0401.JPG

DSCN0400.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  2. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
  3. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    No real update yet apart from Nitron being in receipt of shocks with a view to modifying them, much the same situation as K-Tech. Nothing on frame damage yet although they have been advised that it needs addressing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Message from Steve jordan motorcycles today.Shocks are back and I will go up there week after next to have them fitted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #45 Flashp, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Well there's news, I have the shocks back on the back now. The clearance is probably on the economical side of generous, see what you think:
    [​IMG]
    I'd put it at about 2mm. I think that with minimal rotation around the lug as the swingarm moves it might be OK. I need to go back into the garage and disconnect the bottom fixing and rotate the shock through a few degrees either way and observe clearance.

I'm also curious about how they've achieved this. I think they have sourced an alternative top section which they've simply fitted to the shock body. I'm not sure what may have changed regarding the dimensions in doing this.

When you look at the before and after photo's you can see key differences. When I lay the OE shocks next to a Nitron it's obvious that the Nitron are around 10mm shorter and the bike is noticeably lower when you sit on it.

I asked for all settings to be recorded before being worked on so they could be returned me in the same state after SJ set the suspension up with me on the bike, pre-load seems to have been overlooked.

Before modification there were 22 threads above the adjustment collar, there's now 17. With the apparent differences in mind I'm unclear if I'll be upsetting the pre-load setting to get the ride height back as the bike or whether it'll simply be as was. I've sent a mail but won't see a reply till next week so I thought I'd see what you lot have to say :)

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Went back to SJ last Saturday and they refitted the modified Ktecs. They asked me if I had brought the sheet with the settings from the previous setup (which I had not ) so they looked up the information they they had kept. So maybe they forgot to do yours.Haven't checked overall length of the new modified shocks but feel the same height.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    They said they've got all the settings put back on but the pre-load was set with me on the bike and noted by measuring the sag with me on the bike with both feet up. I checked this afternoon and clearance won't be a problem so it's just a question of getting this bit right and then getting the powder coating sorted out.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I'm utterly done in with this. SJ are referring me back to Nitron with this now, I've not even had an apology for fitting parts which clearly didn't fit properly.
    The problem being that the bike felt lower than it was before this work was done and having taken one of the shocks off and comparing it to an original part it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Now in my simple mind I believe that these should at least be of equal length on the floor off the bike. Or am I wrong in thinking this? Nitron have given the following explanation:

'Shock open length should be 348mm +10-/0 which should be the same as OEM. The end caps were changed from part number 030332 to 030176. End cap 030176 is 11.2mm taller than 030332 so the shocks should have been rebuilt with 10mm shorter body tubes – this is why the distance between the end cap and spring platform is smaller. The installed spring length however should be the same as before modification and for reference the standard installed spring length would be 180mm and preload 20mm. Length adjustment for twin shocks is actually 10mm'

For the sake of accuracy the handbook states 7mm of adjustment, not 10mm as this extract states.

I've had enough of people f****ing things up that I spend great effort caring for and investing in. It really hacks me off, I'll probably do something stupid like selling it :mad::mad:

Oh, and Nitron only offered to pay for materials for the repair. Namely a tin of paint. I've had professional advice which says that paint is at best a temporary repair and that they wouldn't undertake the repair because powder coating a small area isn't possible and painting doesn't always go well in the long term.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Whoever sold/fitted these needs to rework it until they get it corrected, as you appear to be the Beta test. Granted it may not appear exactly the same visual lengthwise proportion. But the the length can be critical. On my SV, one very hot frustrated day, i had a lot of trouble getting things aligned properly and apparently twisted the length too much on the Penske shock (spring/dampner assembly). On that bikes sensitive geometry running 13mm dropped in the front, and 13mm ass high, being 3mm off on the rear induced wheel spin exiting corners.

10. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    My Tiger 1200 centre stand wore a small scallop in my swingarm/shaft housing due to a design issue. (long boring story) Several items were replaced and the shaft housing was painted under warranty. I honestly can't see where it was done now. A little paint touch-up is fine, powder coating that is a unrealistic. As for the shock...……...I want my money back!

11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I'm a realist and I most definitely don't want to get into powder coating the frame but I'd like them to acknowledge what they've done. Something along the lines of 'sorry about that, we cocked up. Here's £200 and a correctly manufactured shock/refund'. Random figure in there but that would probably be determined by potential cost for repair - that's how damages are worked out although I have no intention of going the powder coating route. Neither SJ or Nitron have actually apologised for this and Nitron will tell you that they don't have parts for a 2018 Bonneville.

I'm going to push for a refund and meaningful compensation for the frame damage.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It is so disappointing to read stories like this @Flashp . When you trust well branded companies with your pride and joy you expect professional advice and fantastic after market support when things do go wrong. The dealer has a part to play in this as well and should be taking the lead in sorting the problems for you. As has been said I would go for my money back for the shocks and any fitting charges from the dealer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear about your issues. I had the same with my K-Tech shocks, the rebuilt shocks offer much more clearance but I too lost some adjustment on the shock length, although I can set mine to the standard length. I'm probably wrong but your shock length adjustment looks similar to mine in that it is set to the shortest length and there is room to increase the length?

I think you could get away with painting the lugs, not ideal, but they are out of sight and you could probably prepare the damaged edges of the paintwork and brush paint them. I guess powder coating is just not an option as you would need to do the entire area.

Anyway, no excuse for your treatment, and you shouldn't be doing any of this yourself.

Good luck.

14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi FlashP, very sorry to hear about this all this shit you're having to wade through, having spent significant money trying to improve your bike.

Clearly the shocks fitted to your bike were just not designed for it - on that basis along I would want a full refund, so that I could find alternatives. The supplied modified shocks still don't fit, by comparison to other parts in the marketplace.

In addition your bike has been damaged by the fitment of these parts so that needs to be rectified, by an independent skilled paint person.

Not trying to be an armchair warrior here but it it were me I would be writing to the supplying dealer expressing my concerns and disappointment and giving them 15 days to reinstall the std. shocks and paying me a full refund; otherwise I will be pursuing them through the small claims court for a refund plus damages.

They are in the wrong, ultimately they are in the wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I'm going to busy for the remainder of this weekend and so won't probably be back here till next week. I would just like to thank everyone who's contributed for their support/advice, it's appreciated and noted.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    You'll all be bored of me and this subject by now I'm sure but here's a question...

What shock options are there available which are a good fit without modification for a 2018 T100?

For info I have Ohlins cartridge inserts and I'd like to have something of parallel quality. Ohlins do have an option called STX 36 but I'm unclear on compatibility.

Maybe Hagon have something? Any experience with their Nitro options here?

Thoughts please folks!

17. Vectis John

Vectis John Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Isle of Wight
    #57 Vectis John, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    I have just come across this post as was looking to upgrade my shocks and have contacts in the Surrey area. Steve Jordan motorcycles advertise as a Nitron premier suspension service dealer, I had intended to use them, after reading this I will go elsewhere.
    I wish you luck and please keep us posted. It must be gutting when you look after your bike and rely on ‘professional’ outlets only to have the bike damaged and then stuck in a dispute between manufacturer and supplier. Don’t give up ! Perhaps a review or two on social media might be in order?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Thanks for your best wishes. I would add that it's early days for closure but SJ are responding pragmatically and my formal notice to them for refund has been acknowledged rather than disputed. I'm at a point where I need to decide whether or not I engage with Nitron and allow them to resolve the problem. At present I'm inclined to source an alternative part.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    It looks like I'm getting my refund, so what's next I wonder. I'll need something to replace these with, probably Hagon of one flavour or another. 2810 seem like good value and might suit the bike well. They'll probably look a little less hi-tech than the Nitrons did.

All this has got me back to reviewing my bike situation again. I've found myself with three and from time to time (mainly in the winter when not using them so much) I get to working out what it costs to keep them in the garage. Then I start thinking about having one bike. This time around it's a BMW R1250R in HP colours (shaft drive...like that idea) so I guess it's time to get out there, rain or not, and settle down again o_O:)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    So sorry that the situation has gone on for so long for you and in case I didn't before thankyou for alerting me and others of the problem otherwise I don't think any of us would have noticed for a very long time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1