Nice Jacket But...

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by chough, Oct 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chough

chough New Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Helston
    After being in storage for too long, (before i got it), this great bike jacket is discoloured with mould.
    Have checked into the process needed to remove this and restore to good order but there are too many solutions offered, some of which seem way dodgy. Has anyone had/resolved this problem . Have tried leather restorer but what seems to help only lasts days before jacket is as grey as before. Its way too good to bin it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Thin solution of bleach or a cleaner contains bleach. Only way I have ever found of killing the spores so it doesn't just return.

Look out for damp mould spray cleaner, used for house's. I've used that in the past and saved items.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    As Mr O says you need to kill the source ! You need to kill the mould spore's or the mold will just return ! Only two ways to kill mold ! One will destroy the leather and hence the jacket ! Extreme heat (,burning naked flame) the other is bleach or acids which eat the spore's outer layer(it's skin) and then it dies and won't return. So you need to work out what will do the least damage to the leather and have sufficient strength and effect to kill the mold spore's, it maybe something that will need to be repeatedly done over time !

• Like Like x 2
  4. chough

chough New Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Helston
    Thanks guys, killing the little bugger spores sounds just the ticket, but never occurred to me to use anti mould spray... duhh!. Will giveit a try and see how it goes. hope earlier restorer wont barrier it from the mass slaughter required.

5. Steve Gledhill

Steve Gledhill New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Alberta Canada
    Yep use a bleach solution let it dry out at room temperature then freeze it for a couple of days.

Then apply saddle soap

6. chough

chough New Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Helston
    ok will do that as well. thanks for the tip :):)