Newly Bought '16 Speed Triple R - Pre Ride Mods

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by BenRR, Mar 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BenRR

BenRR New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Toronto
    Hey All
    New to the forums and new to triumph although I've been a huge fan of the speed triple and street triple forever!!

Just bought a basically brand new 2016 Speed triple R. Went and picked it up with a trailer, first time doing that too! too cold still to ride here in the Toronto (Canada) area but I'm considering a few modifications before I even get started, but had some questions for the experts. Specifically:

- rad and oil cooler guard (looking at Evotech) - Any reason not to install these? any airflow or cooling issues with them on? we do get up to 36/38 even 40 degrees in the middle of summer.
    -Frame sliders - probably evotech too. these seem like a no brainer, anything to watch out for?
    - tail tidy. Seen a few different models. My bike has the arrow exhaust, and I want to make sure what I get fits, and the turn signals aren't too hidden or buried. I'd rather keep the big ugly on the back, if the tail tidy means drivers have a harder time seeing my signals!
    - passenger seat - any upgrades here? my wife likes to ride with me, and although she's pretty tiny that passenger seat is thinner than a super-sport. I've looked around and can find nothing so far.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Welcome in Ben,
    There will be plenty of advise on here from fellow Speedy owners, enjoy your ride!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Hi Ben

Seems you have almost everything considered
    I would add a bigger horn to your list, the Denali Split Sound Bomb is a good alternative to the standard
    Front spindle protectors, engine sliders and bar ends....to add to your frame sliders
    Single sided paddock stand is a must
    Scottoiler is very useful for the chain

The Evotech tail tidy is very good quality, and I understand is perfectly compatible with the exhausts and indicator positions, I actually changed my exhaust to the single SC Projects conical which has a lovely sound, but has to be taken off before so allow removal of the rear wheel
    I have the Evotech radiator guards and no problem with airflow, just needs going over with the hosepipe when cleaning as it could trap some additional dirt.
    I also upgraded to the Evotech brake and clutch levers for the looks and easy adjustment

One other thing, a decent helmet cam or bike mounted camera on the bike...there be a lot of nutters out on them roads trying to knock you off...

Servicing, do ensure the bike has a generous coating of grease on the rear hub system and the rear shock linkages/bearings have a good coating, these may tend to be a bit dry after a few thousand miles from the factory.

Can't help regarding the rear seat, my wife won't go near my bike, but she has enough rear padding to not notice if the seat was wafer thin:laughing:
    There are manufacturers of touring covers to go the seats that add an extra gel padding...a quick Google search should find them

4. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    Would expect there to be a triumph comfort seat available.

Evotech is good kit.

5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    See I told you Ben I told you there would be plenty of Speedie advice.
    Ah! yes RT we could all do with a bigger horn!
    I am guessing that you have either had a brave pill or your missus does see what you post! :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  6. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Welcome to the "Madhouse" mate!
    Don't put too much on your bike, you will slow it down!;)

7. BenRR

BenRR New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Toronto
    Thanks for the great advice so far guys!
    one more question is how many speedy owners use the add on extended windshield?
    I'm coming from a 2004 SV650 and its the only bike I owned before this one. its pretty quick but I'm very ready for the solid power the triple puts out!

8. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    I removed the flyscreen completely. It makes no difference to wind blast with it removed.

9. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I did opt for the Triumph fly screen extender/shield thing, as I put it on almost as soon as I got it I can't say I notice a difference, but at 6 foot tall and 16st in the saddle I find the ride comfortable sitting up till I get to about 80mph and then tuck in slightly for the higher numbers.
    It was more of a vanity thing than anything practical though

10. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My missus doesn't read this, so I could say what I want ;)

She actually has a full bike license herself, but doesn't want to ride again...I think once the sprogs jump from the nest I will try and get her riding a T100 or similar - oh jeez, the modding on that though would drain the bank dry!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Welcome aboard BenRR, I'm new to Triumph too and just bought my dream bike in the way of a 2015 Speedy, also changing a few bits ready for the much anticipated better weather, I have a Triumph gel seat on mine which luckily it came with, otherwise it would be on my shopping list, all the best for a summer of Speedy fun.

12. jyaeger

jyaeger Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    Hey Ben, welcome to the club man. I have the evotech fender eliminator on my 14 Speed it was easy to install w/ the high mount exhaust. It came with plates for different styles of turn signals but I also have an integrated tail light that was really easy to install.

13. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome Ben, general consensus here is that EvoTech is quality kit which most of us seem to go for, and we can get discount via Conquest Carbon, but I'm guessing you'll luck out on that being the wrong side of the pond. ;)
    (probably cheaper over there anyway :rolleyes:)
    Not had any trouble with overheating from the guards but mine's a 2015 so slightly bigger rad I believe, even so you should be fine, at worst you might find the fan come on a bit more if you ride in slow traffic.
    Can't help with the seat, wife rides a Street Triple - may be you should get one instead of the seat?

• Like Like x 1
  14. BenRR

BenRR New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Toronto
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone! got the rad and oil cooler guard plus the frame sliders on order direct from Evotech, I bet they still get here before the warm weather XD
    Went out for a little ride despite the temp being close to 0 degrees. Amazing!!! I was very pleased by the ride and the power available, but a little confused by how short the gears seemed. Then I realized I was shifting with the frequency I did on my SV650. which meant I was shifting at about 4k rpm lmao!!!
    Opened it up in 2nd gear but still couldn't get close to redline before I was exceeding the speed limit in the "pull me over" range (and freezing myself!)
    Cant wait for some decent weather and some open roads!!

• Like Like x 3
  15. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome Ben. Lovely choice of bike :)

I was in Toronto (scarborough) last year ;). Enjoyed my time there :)

I used to own a 2011 Speed Triple and had lots of upgrades on her as others above has suggested. Since yours is a R model, you would have most of the carbon bits;)

The speed triple has mental torque and the sound (with an aftermarket exhaust) is music to ears. Get her 6K RPM and above and you will grinning from ear to ear :). This bike could easily change you into a hooligan......just be careful and watch out for the cops ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lee Fowler

Lee Fowler New Member

Mar 16, 2018
    England
    Hi Ben, I've just joined the group also having just purchased a 2017 speedy, I'm yet to collect it, I'm that excited I can' sleep!
    Can I also ask a question on your thread please.
    I'm thinking of putting the Remus Low Boy equivalent on the bike as I think it looks nice and also the bike doesn't need remapping has anybody got experience with the Remus on a Speedy R
    Cheers Lee