Newbies Have A Read!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Bad Billy, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    One of the things that struck me when I did my first post was just how many members came back to say Hi! :blush:.
    So ever since I have made a concerted effort to try & welcome every new member on their newbie post, I have been a little tardy in welcoming Newbies to the Forum lately as I have been a bit busy, I just caught up (took a while!) & hopefully have said Hi to you all now. :sweat::)

Just one thing about this forum though, we talk about all sorts, not just bikes, not just Triumphs, don't be surprised if your thread gets derailed, it's not malicious, it just happens! :p

But the single biggest thing that irritates members on here is the guys who come on, with no introduction, ask a question, get an answer then disappear without so much as a thanks, we all like to know whether our advise has helped, it takes no time at all to say thanks & confirm whether the advise worked/helped. :cool:

So welcome to the Forum, enjoy! ;)

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Like Like x 18
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Great summary setting out how to introduce yourself and how to get the best from the forum. Nice one :):)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Bad Billy by name, Good Billy by nature :D, nice one Bill and very well put.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bad Billy.
    Yes I agree with you on that one and well put. I was only just thinking how many people spring up when they run into trouble. And like you say most peeps here in the asylum do their best to assist without a thanks mate it worked or no need more help. But no they just disappear again. It does spoil the forum a bit. I just sometimes they would go to there dealers were they can pay not here were it's free and happily given. Do know you get busy and do watch your progress with interest got your new bike yet.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy
    Joe

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Nicely put, Billy.
    But 'catching up' with this forum seems to be a bit beyond me sometimes.:( We sold our bungalow last July and moved into a rental property until we found something else to buy. Still not managed to catch up properly! SIGH! And now, sometime around Christmas/NewYear, we will be doing it all again:eek: - hopefully! Are we mad?? Probably. So I'll be all behind again.:scream: Ah well, c'est la vie!
    At least this forum is thriving, and long may that continue!:grinning:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Joe, just thought I would make the point to newbies, hopefully a few of them stick around & make the Forum even better. Yes, got the new bike, catch up on the racing thread mate.
    Cheers
    Billy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    It is good that there is so much activity on here, couldn’t believe how many newbies had posted in a short period of time. Compared to other forums I use it is amazing!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Billy, for a great post to and about new members. We've all been the newbies at one point, not only to this forum but to many (most?!) things in life. Thinking back, I don't think I came to this forum in the best way by properly introducing myself through the "Newbies Hangout" section. If memory serves, I joined because I had questions about my new Speed Triple to which I quickly received wonderful and helpful answers from several members, with @SteveRS and @Sideburn being among them. Then I went and asked @joe mc donald what bacon rolls were and we were off to the races. ;)

So, newbies, heed Billy's wise advice! Thank those who answer questions and offer suggestions, stick around and join in the most "interesting and enlightening" conversations :p, laugh your ass off daily, and then pay it forward. Offer your help and expertise, share interesting photos and stories, and just add to the general fun and mayhem that is The Triumph Forum! :D

I do have to say that I, like @stevethegoolie said, have a hard time "catching up with this forum" sometimes, particularly when it comes to welcoming newbies. (It was easier when I was retired and before I started working again!) Seems like I'll go in spurts with welcoming newcomers but then go for weeks and not welcome a single new soul to the fold.:pensive: So, thanks also, Billy, for the reminder to make an effort to keep up with that. Long may the forum continue to thrive! :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That was well said Bill. I believe it needed to be said as well. It’s good to be reminded to appreciate and respect the quality contributions of our fine members on this forum. So, thank you everyone for your help, guidance and laughs along the way. Cheers!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well said Sandi. And a special thanks to you as well ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Well Sandi, you are a prime example of what makes this forum great :), you have joined in the spirit of how things are done on here, you have striven to understand what some of our strange expressions & words mean in American o_O:p.
    But you have also contributed with stories & pictures of trips to Sturgis & Vegas, places a lot of the members over here have never seen, so pictures bring your stories to life for us all to enjoy. :cool:
    Not everyone has the time or the creative writing skills to do reports like yours, however it takes minutes to update the forum with a quick update with a problem. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Iamtheonlyone

Iamtheonlyone Senior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    The North
    It's an intimidating place if english is not first language but will try

• Like Like x 10
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    ¡No se preocupe, algunos de nosotros podemos usar el traductor de Google! ¡Pero todos pueden mirar fotos, amigo!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yeah well put @Bad Billy the other big problem is the newbies section is meant for introductions not problem solving. The most selfish thing someone can do is ask a technical question in a thread not relevant m, ie the newbies section, so that others seeking answers to that problem can’t find them. The admin should do something about this as is done in other forums. That is the only downfall and to fix it would make a great forum the greatest!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Awesome, Billy!! This is the true spirit of The Triumph Forum. :grinning:

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 9.36.47 PM.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Billy! I have to say that I've never before been a social media / forum user or fan but this forum is different. I've met (though not in person---yet!) great people, learned interesting things, laughed my ass/arse off, shared my own trip adventures and vicariously experienced the trips of others, and had the benefit of good advice from fellow members. This forum really does feel like family to me. It's most definitely a community--one that is made up of the individuals who share with and contribute to each other, laugh and cry together, and have a love of motorcycles as our common bond.

Oh, and one of these days Mr. Sandi and I are going to visit the UK so we can meet the lot (or at least a lot) of you! What's the deal with renting motorcycles in your neck of the woods? I need to get out my maps so I can start learning what's what and what's where. Maybe other members from around the world (like SteveRS from Canada for example) can do the same and we can plan a ginormous very international version of GMU?!

P.S. Glad you admit to the fact that you guys do have some strange expressions and words, Billy. :joy::joy::joy: And then there's the food......

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hey wouldn’t that be a blast! But Sandi, you’ll have to promise me that you won’t eat too much spotted dick though. :eek::worried::sob:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    #18 Bad Billy, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Yeah! Now you're talking, a Transatlantic GMU! :p

A quick look at Google threw up this site for rental of bikes;

https://www.roadtrip.uk/motorcycles-for-hire/

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    An international GMU sounds like a great idea.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bad Billy.
    Yes I am on catch up after coming home but I will get there it was just easier to ask than wait. I also support you that it would be nice if new members would stick around. But sometimes I read a blog that says my name is blog my bike is broke and just feel they want help and we will never hear from them again. Buts that's life and we are who we are and love to help others.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3