Newbie With Eml On Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by alan ramsay, Oct 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    Hello , all, i am a newbie to here but not a new triumph owner having had a 2001 triumph thunderbird for a couple of years and love it , i recently bought a sportier bike , a 2000 TT600 which is a one owner bike with less than 8000 miles and truly immaculate ,(paid £950) it hasnt turned a wheel for a couple of years but starts and goes great , unfortunately the engine management fault light is on , the bike has smooth power delivery and i have taken it for twenty miles with no issues but i dont want to do any more till i get to the seat of the problem , my issue is i live in the north east of scotland a long way from a triumph dealer and although i have a code reader it doesnt do bikes so i am stuck , any suggestions would be welcome either to read the codes or fix the light , thanks very much in advance , ps the bike is lovely and i love th elooks and dont understand the ugly bike rep ,cheers

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Although you're code reader doesn't do bikes it might still be able to clear codes...give it a try..you never know
    Another way is to ride the bike or get it up to temperature 3 times letting it cool down properly between runs
    This can clear codes...if not then you'll need a reader that can tell you what the problem is
    Good luck mate

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    ok , i will try the three times to temp thing as my reader wont clear as it keeps coming up no connection ,thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    Well I tried the warm up three times thing to no avail, went to the local bike shop and his code reader could try read or clear it either so stuff like with the light for now

5. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    Hi, Thanks, I should have said it's a brand new battery that utilised I will go through your suggestions and get back to you, as I said the bike runs great but I don't want to go anywhere till it's sorted out, thanks, it really is appreciated

6. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar

7. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    Have been through most of those like the side stand clutch lever, oil filter and levels good as been serviced, will check the others thanks, cheers will get on with those, appreciate all your input, Alan

8. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
  9. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
  10. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    Hi , update , i got the bike into my garage and decided to change the plugs , i took off the tank and airbox (never again ) and then realised the plugs were the wrong type !! i put everything back together and guess what - yip the engine management light has gone off ?? i have ridden it twice since with no issues except the red temp light came on briefly , it was at 223c ! so i pulled in gave it a rest and its back in my garage , is this normal for the light for the temp to come on ? what should i do to alleviate my concerns ?

11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I would hope so .......... :sweat::sweat:

12. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    No it shot up to over 200 and a desk the temp light came on so I pulled over for five eyes minutes then came home, I turned it on just now and after idling for fifteen minutes it was a member on again, I will check the water levels when cool

13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Did the fan not cut in ?

14. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    Sorry my fingers are too fat, 122c lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    So that's OK then, cheers again

16. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    ok its all gone pear shaped , eml light on , chugging and firing on three cylinders and fan not cutting in causing it to boil if sitting ticking over , i am no computer geek so after failing to download the softwear suggested i took it to triumph , here is the diagnostic readout which cost sixty quid and ten minutes ,
    p0353 ignition coil 3 malfunction
    p1357 ignition coil3 short circuit
    p1552 cooling fan relay short/open circuit
    so i have another coil arrrived so how do i deal with these faults as the garage said it had to go to them to adjust the parameters ,do i have to remove the tank ? that seems daunting , the relay i assume is under the seat , just replace ? any help would be appreciated , i live in forfar so its a treck to triumph which is in edinburgh and the bike is a 2000 model with only 9000 miles on , it has sat a while which is probably the reason , thanks in advance

17. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Do you know anyone who can help you with this that's done it before ?
    If not you need to .......

You need to Carefully lift the tank and disconnect the wiring and fuel hoses make a note or take pictures of where everything goes.
    No 3 cylinder is on the RHS of the bike as you sit on it trace the ht lead back to the coil, disconnect only the wiring and HT lead to that coil remove it and refit the New coil in its place.
    Locate the Fan relay you need to replace and fit the new fan relay.

Carefully replace the tank and refit the hoses and wiring back where it came from, being careful not to trap or kink any of the hoses or wiring.

I don't know but I'm guessing that the EML will still be lit and you will need to do 3 complete ride to full temp and cool down fully cycles to rest this, If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will point out my error :)

18. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    Thanks, I can't bloody kneel due to double knee replacement which doesnt help but i am going to have a go , i will take photos and tape things ,i unfortunately am new to this town having retired here a few months ago , there is an excellent little local bike shop but he is weeks in arrears with work , i have a new relay so thats easy , well into the shed i go , cheers .....

19. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Hi Alan

I feel your pain ( Literally :( ) as I have just done exactly the same, New town, unfortunately no bike shop, unable to kneel with the arthritis. Good luck with it :)

20. alan ramsay

alan ramsay Member

Oct 8, 2017
    forfar
    #20 alan ramsay, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Aye it's no funny, I have osteoporosis a as well, pin in back, toes fused and one hip done other clicking and a bulging disc to top it off and I am only 58,wish I had a pound for every surgeon who told me my bike days are over, no chance anyway tanks off and am away to get a set of plugs before the bike shop shuts for a fortnight's holiday, it's a classic bike shop so they aren't keen to fix anyway, cheers my man I am halfway there

• Like Like x 1