Newbie Needs Help With This Annoying Idle Issue

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by MJA, May 26, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MJA

MJA New Member

May 26, 2023
    Preston
    Hi Everyone,
    I ride a 2021 Triumph 900 street scrambler and it keeps running away at low idles...

You are my last resort...Has anyone had this problem? It starts up great idles around 1500 rpm for about a minute then settles down to around 1100-1250

The problem starts when riding not on sweeping roads but in town or slow riding down country lanes. The bike just wants to run away when it comes to a junction. Its so annoying you have to keep feathering the clutch to bring the revs down. Ive heard that triumph did this to stop the bikes from stalling well its definitely done that but now im in danger of running into a car at a junction. I have filmed it on a private road of course with no hands on the throttle and its just rambling along in 3rd gear. I have taken it into Youles and they said its normal, its spoiling the bike to be honest, Ive always had triumphs but now I'm thinking about a change.
    Cany anyone help.....
    Cheers Mike

These pics are with my hand off the throttle and its just cruising along

IMG_2194.jpeg

IMG_2193.jpeg

IMG_2194.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome, I hope someone knowledgeable comes along who can help with your issue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Welcome. You'd probably do better posting in the Tech section. There are some pretty knowledgeable people here (me not being among them). I would take it to another dealer or service tech. Sounds like a fuel/air management issue. My first Victory (2002) was backfiring. I took it to two dealerships and both said "That's the nature of the Vic engine." I took some advice from guys on the Victory Motorcycle Club Forum and rode up to Lloyds in NY. He said "Bullshit. It's an engine. It just isn't tuned right." He did his magic and it ran well for 30k without a hitch until I traded it in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MJA

MJA New Member

May 26, 2023
    Preston
    Wow Thanks thats brilliant advice....Ill keep trying.

5. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising