Newbie In Ocala National Forest, Florida

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Chrisfla1, May 29, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chrisfla1

Chrisfla1 New Member

May 29, 2023
    Florida
    Hi, all! I started riding in 1982 on Japanese motorcycles. I got my first Harley in 2004, and have always had Harleys since then, but usually with a smaller Japanese backup bike. But while browsing a used motorcycle shop with a large selection of motorcycles, I sat on a 2020 Speedmaster with mini-ape handlebars... My butt just melted into the seat! I was looking to get rid of my 2007 Harley Ultra Classic as it was giving me problems, so I traded it in on the Speedmaster the next day. It has the Triumph bags (waaaay smaller than what I'm used to!), I had a rack put on the back already, and I'm waiting on the highway bars so I can put some pegs on them. As an almost 65-year-old woman with two serious accidents in my 40 year riding history, I really miss my massive Harley fairing and all the wind protection (and storage) it provided. But I'll tell you what, I love the way I feel when I ride this bike. It's like I'm in a biker movie! Old school, for sure - no more flying couch!

So I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you all since I never ever thought I'd buy a Triumph - and I've learned something already. I live 1.5 hours from Gustafsson windshields in St. Augustine Florida and I'm going to ride up there in a day or two to see if they can fabricate a windshield for me that keeps the wind off my shoulders.

Glad to be here!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome…..

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Chrisfla1,
    Nice to see you here in the forum or asylum what ever. Do try to post some pic's of the steeds you have or owned keep the inmates amused for an hour or two.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

6. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome!

7. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Welcome from a Triumph convert up the pike in Jersey. 2018 Speedmaster here, bought new in 2020. Coming off HDs and big Victorys (Victories?) was quite an adjustment. The Triumph is just more nimble and easier to flip around. Also, you won't need big bags. It's not a Harley. You won't have to carry a lot of tools.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Chrisfla1

Chrisfla1 New Member

May 29, 2023
    Florida
    Thanks everyone! I've ridden it about 150 miles every day since I bought it, even the first day when it was windy and raining. But I have to say, due to some physical issues, I'm going to have to find something resembling a big batwing fairing to put on it or I won't be able to ride very far (very far to me is a 500 mile day). TBH, it reminds me of my '08 Nightster, that I had outfitted with mini-apes, a little scoopy windshield around the front headlight, forward controls, a 2-up seat, and an old school sissy bar. It was really flashy, and it got a lot of compliments, but it was only good for a two-hour ride -- and that was when I was 10 years younger than I am now... So keep your fingers crossed, ot I'll end up buying another '07 Electra Glide for the long rides!

9. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Greetings, @Chrisfla1, and welcome to the forum! As @joe mc donald noted, we love photos here on the forum. Looking forward to seeing a few of your new Speedmaster.

It's great to have another woman on the forum and I do hope you'll become an active member. You and I are the same age and have (or had) Harleys in common. I currently have two of them but also have a Triumph Speed Triple RS. And I love 'em all! Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 9.23.17 PM.png

10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Chrisfla1 :cool:

11. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Hi there! Welcome to the forum! ;)

12. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Greetings from Lincolnshire.

13. Chrisfla1

Chrisfla1 New Member

May 29, 2023
    Florida
    OK! By popular demand, here is my new-to-me 2020 Speedmaster. I bought it with 3100 miles on it and I'm just beginning to make modifications. Today I rode up to Gustafsson windshields in St. Augustine and got fitted for a new windshield, so hopefully that will take some of the wind off my shoulders. I had the bike delivered last Thursday and I hit 800 miles on it today! Not too shabby for an old woman with a body full of broken bones and metal pieces!

Triumph 5.31.23.1.JPG

Triumph 5.31.23.3.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  14. Mongoose

Mongoose Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2023
    Georgia
    Come on up to Georgia, and ride the twisties!!!

15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the photos of your Speedmaster, @Chrisfla! It's looking good. I think it's awesome that you've had the bike less than a week and have put 800 miles on it already. :) Please keep us posted on your mods and on your thoughts on the bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jodi McDonald

Jodi McDonald New Member

Hey and welcome from Melbourne Australia!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. MICK LEONARD

MICK LEONARD Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    SOUTH COAST UK
    Hi and welcome from the south coast UK

18. Rob the Scott

Rob the Scott Active Member

Dec 14, 2022
    New Jersey
    Great looking bike! Did the windshield work out well for you? You certainly take some long rides! My Sprint gets a little tiresome after a couple of hours, so I take breaks to stretch out a bit (I'm 61).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chrisfla1

Chrisfla1 New Member

May 29, 2023
    Florida
    Actually, I've had two windshields on it (so far), and neither of them have provided adequate enough wind coverage for a true long-distance ride. It's been very frustrating! Either I'm too old for this bike, no windshield is going to work, or I'm going to be spending ridiculous amounts of money trying to find one that works for me. I haven't ridden without a windshield since I was in my late 20's, so that's not an option. I really love riding this bike, but I must confess I've seriously considered getting rid of it already just because of this issue. I have, however, put 1500 miles on it, so you know I love it. If you all have any ideas about how to allieviate this problem, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Good luck figuring it out, @Chrisfla1. Glad you are liking the bike other than the windshield issue. And I know from experience how important an issue that is as another rider who like to tour and do some bigger trips.

I suggest that you post another request for assistance in one of the other forums available here such as the Bonneville or General Discussion forums which would increase your chance of folks seeing and responding with ideas for you. Good luck!