Newbie Here To Buy You

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Finlay, Feb 22, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Finlay

Finlay New Member

Feb 22, 2021
    Scotland
    Hi all,
    Just bought a 91 Daytona750. Think it's been off road some time, and there's a few bits missing. So, first rebuild starting soon and thought it just polite to say hello before the barrage of, how do you?, where can you get?, which other models are compatible?, questions.

So thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure I'll get.

Cheers

Finlay

• Like Like x 1
  2. Finlay

Finlay New Member

Feb 22, 2021
    Scotland

Ok corrections bug you, not buy. I'm a bit dyslexic so autocorrect gets me often.

Current bikes out of interest 2016 sv650s, 2003 tdm900.

3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Welcome to the forum Finlay :cool:

4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hi n welcome :)

5. Iron

Iron Guest

Wotcha Finlay, just when I was thinking about how much I could get for me.

Welcome, stay, have a tea and enjoy :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Finlay.

gump (1).gif

7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Finlay and welcome to the forum :)

8. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Hi Finlay, welcome to the forum. Good luck with the daytona :)

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum :cool:

10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Greetings and welcome to the forum, Finlay! Congratulations on your new-to-you Daytona. Please share a photo or two with us if you would please. Hope you enjoy the forum!

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.30.10 PM.png

12. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Welcome to the forum Finlay!:grinning:

13. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

14. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hi Finlay.

First off - welcome to the machine - that, I fear, is pretty much how you're going to feel when you get into the rebuild of your Daytona! I definitely do NOT want to put you off but it is, I think, only fair to warn you that this is likely to be a LONG and HARD journey! Why?

Well, first off, you've joined the "T3 club". These early Hinckley T300 bikes have a way of getting deep under your skin and into your psyche. They have depths and levels of soul and character that I, personally, find are hugely more influential than the later bikes. They are, to me, like Meriden machines on steroids and, whilst necessarily devoid of some of the wayward 'character' of Meriden products - the automation, computerisation and mass production saw to that - they have a rich identity all of their own. I'm over egging this, aren't I? OK, my apologies. Let's go back to the basics.

First, the Daytona 750 is going to be one of the least common Hinckley bikes you'll find anywhere. There were only a few hundred made and sold - I've seen different production figures quoted but rarely more than 400.

Second, it's a T3! Obviously. That's a good and a bad thing. Good insomuch as a significant number of parts (predominantly cycle parts) are interchangeable across the range. Bad insomuch as a great many of the parts are now - and have been for a while - obsolete. Obsolete as in John Cleese's Norwegian Blue parrot! No longer made; no longer available. The bike is, after all, 30 years old so it's hardly surprising that even consumable spares would have gone out of production.

Those parts that are available are not cheap - I use Fowlers of Bristol ...

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/browser/manufacturer/triumph/bike/daytona-7501000/gallery

... because I find their service to be good; the web site clear and helpful (though not always accurate for stock positions) and the parts counter staff very helpful. Others, I know, use World of Triumph - it's a matter of personal choice.

Sprint Manufacturing

https://www.triumphparts.co.uk/

are doing their level best to keep these old birds flying and are getting some stuff 're-manufactured' - gaskets, seals, etc.. They also, occasionally have secondhand stuff in so they're definitely high on the bookmarks list.

For secondhand spares, well, ya pays yer money .....

National Triumph are OK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/nationaltriumph/Motorcycle-Accessories/_i.html?_sacat=25622

as are Tr-iCor Hinckley

http://www.triumphhinckleyparts.co.uk/

but what you get and what they have is, of course, a bit of a lottery. Keep your eye on the bay of evil and you, I - and perhaps many others - will, no doubt, be bidding against each other at times!

Other than that google and motorcycle salvage breakers will be common themes in your online search history ..... hope you've got an inclusive calls plan for your mobile! ;)

By the way, when they're on song and revving hard through the gears, there is NO finer sound than an early Hinckley triple.

Except, maybe, a Meriden T160 .....................

Good luck. Enjoy. And let's see some pictures and maybe a rebuild thread?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Greetings from New Jersey.

16. Finlay

Finlay New Member

Feb 22, 2021
    Scotland
    Thanks for the recommendations. You sound like someone that might be getting a few DMs over the coming months.
    Just started, already got stuff coming from France, America... and spending silly amounts of time (and money) on ebay.

Didn't seem right to let it just get broken down for spares.
    IMG-20210227-WA0009.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Finlay and welcome to the forum :cool: Thanks for posting the picture and looking forward to seeing your rebuild progress. Best of luck on your parts search