Newbie Has A Tech Query

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sad?Old Hippie, Nov 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sad?Old Hippie

Nov 9, 2018
    Newquay Cornwall
    Hi all! Just joined after becoming the proud owner of a 2004 Daytona 600 last weekend..the bike is all and more that I wanted but I have a question..the fan kicks in at 95/6 degrees and goes off again when back down at 92..if I try to pull away after it’s kicked in the engine cuts out..if I let the engine cool for a few minutes it fires up and runs as normal..is this normal, is it a ‘safety’ cut out?..Daytona runs absolutely fine otherwise..thanks and I look forward to some good chat!

• Like Like x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Sounds like a coil or the ingniter control has developed a heat related issue. It's not uncommon in older vehicles. See if you can find someone close by with a similar model bike and swap coils etc until you isolate the offending item/part then you know what to buy to fix it.

3. Sad?Old Hippie

Nov 9, 2018
    Newquay Cornwall
    Hi and thanks for that..so it’s definitely not normal..okay will follow that advice up..as said, it doesn’t distract from the bike, in all other respects it’s perfect..I’ve quickly learned a way around it, pull in, let the fan cool temp down and then go again but that will, I’m sure, get annoying after a while..thanks again

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hello mate and welcome along. What do you know about the history of the bike in terms of service etc. I don’t profess to know much about the Daytona 600 but I suspect the fan cutting in at 95/6 degrees and going off again at 92 degrees isn’t right, you only have 3/4 degrees leeway until the fan comes on, doesn't sound right to me. As an example, and I know it’s a newer bike, but the operating temp on my bike is 82 to 93 degrees and the fan comes in at 103. Maybe a coolant sensor is giving the wrong info to the Ecu? Something is causing it to cut out, probably as a safely measure to stop the engine cooking itself, and some investigation is needed. Good luck, it’s a great looking bike, it’d be a shame for it not to run right and spoil the fun. Get it sorted over winter cos if we get another summer like this year you’ll not get far before the fan comes on and stops the bike. :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sad?Old Hippie

Nov 9, 2018
    Newquay Cornwall
    Hi and thanks for that..yes I’m going to get it sorted..I like things right..all help like this is welcome..thanks again

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Be interested to know what the problem is if you don’t mind updating the post when it’s sorted.

7. Sad?Old Hippie

Nov 9, 2018
    Newquay Cornwall
    Yes I will..riding home to Newquay from Chesterfield today so a big test for the Daytona..will take it to the local bike man who sorts my Harley..it will be done!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Is it worth dropping into the Triumph dealer at Chesterfield before you set off, see if they have an idea of what’s up with it?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Some suggestions to what I do whenever i get a new bike, may help alleviate your symptoms

Coolant level - drain, flush with water for one heat cycle, drain and fill with new coolant

Coils - as mentioned, check and change

Spark Plugs - if you don't know the history of the bike, swap out existing plugs with new ones to OEM specifications. May reduce an issue

Oil level - flush and refill with new premium stuff

Air filter - Swap out for K&N

Premium fuel for a few tanks - cleaning properties can reduce carbon build up on valves and other internal bits n bobs

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Sad?Old Hippie

Nov 9, 2018
    Newquay Cornwall
    Thanks everyone..bike had a full pre-sale inspection so I’m happy all that lot is covered..have informed Cubo Moto who I bought it off and they’re on it..can’t praise Cubo enough..great service in every way..home now, 350 miles today and only sour point was bike cutting out in Plymouth, 50 miles from home, as I pulled up at lights dropping into 2nd..definitely a glitch somewhere..will get it looked at this next week..thanks again all..

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Some one may have been moving your cut in and out settings on the ECU by using tune ECU.
    I know its a long way from the seller, only for my money if you just bought it I would be getting the seller to fix this.

12. Sad?Old Hippie

Nov 9, 2018
    Newquay Cornwall
    Cubo are into it for me..they’re being spot on..can’t fault them..got to call them tomorrow to discuss..I thought it was what you said until last night..cut out dripping into second at 83 temp was completely newi issue..again, rode the last 50 miles home without issues..

• Like Like x 1
  13. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    That is defo not right. If you can get along to Clive Wood. He is one of a few who can set these up. They run a double butterfly system keihin efi different to all the other triumphs.

14. Sad?Old Hippie

Nov 9, 2018
    Newquay Cornwall
    Thanks for that..living in Newquay makes that difficult though..I’ve been to our local bike garage Beaumonts, they know their stuff..Daytona going in next Tuesday for full diagnosis..Cubo covering the cost..will update when I know more but thanks everyone for your help!!

• Like Like x 1