Newbie From Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Eldon, Nov 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Hi,
    I've rode motorbikes on and off road for more than 30 years. Rode three 675's and although a good bike not an ideal replacement for my current Honda CB1000R.
    That was until I tried the 765. I rode one a few months back and loved it. Took another one out last Friday and it's become an obsession!!!
    HELP....

Today I've put a deposit down on an RS
    Despite five years together the Honda is now due to go on Saturday when all being well the Triumph will take prime spot in the garage.:p

• Like Like x 7
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Eldon, and welcome in :cool::cool: enjoy the new ride

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Welcome, Eldon.
    Weather seems to be set fair on Saturday so you should have a good day!!:cool:
    Enjoy!!:grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Eldon.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Welcome in to the best forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome to the Asylum you should fit right in. To keep the inmates happy we will need photos.
    _20181030_151131.jpg _20181030_151109.jpg Tucker

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Eldon and Welcome to the forum, you have made an excellent purchase, I loved my 765RS, one of the sweetest handling bikes I have owned, enjoy it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Eldon and welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard Eldon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Thanks to all for the welcome.
    So, its here a nice lovely 68 plate with bugger all miles in white.
    For the insurance, tax issues etc. decided to trailer drop and collect. Glad I did as running in the garage at home whilst putting trailer away it suddenly sounded like it had been left too long on choke :cold_sweat: would it re-start errr nope :sob::eek:
    Somebody had done a good job of not giving fuel away with a sale : unamused: drop some fuel in and all was well :yum phew.

A couple of quick questions if you don't mind;
    oil level - dipstick fully screwed in or just sat in hole for correct level?
    Tyre pressures front and rear?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Both my Trident and my Daytona 955i (when I had it) need the dipstick to be fully screwed in, and I do believe that the Bonnies are the same but will stand correction.
    Tyre pressures? Not a clue I'm afraid. Did you not get a handbook with it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blacktruck

Blacktruck Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Texarkana, TX
    Welcome to the forum Eldon. Coming at you from the state of Texas. Fine looking choice in a bike you made. This is a good place to hang out for info and entertainment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Eldon.
    Welcome to the Family. Fantastic little bike that puts most of the bigger machines to shame. You do know we will all want a picture of the steed to sooth us before our meds.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Here you are guys, and no that's not me although if I asked him I bet he'd ride it home :)

Hopefully picture posted as being a newbie not done it on here before.

Triumph 765 RS.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  17. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I checked the oil last night and the level seemed miles too high. A good mate has a 675 so I quizzed him and he said dipstick unscrewed but when i checked the handbook it said dipstick fully screwed in as I had done. The shop must have set it up with dipstick unscrewed so I'll resolve this today before my ride.
    He had issues with oil pushing out of the alternator wiring hole so I'm wondering if the crankcase compression due to insufficient oil expansion space was the likely cause of that. What is confusing is that we both discussed older Honda's and we were pretty sure they used to be specified in their day with the diipstick unscrewed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Welcome aboard Eldon, hope you enjoy the forum and have fun on your new steed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Well only Sunday morning for weeks with no kids and a leisurely lie in; Nope.
    You see I got a new bike so up at 06;00 wide awake o_O Bet I'm not in the morning when its time for work.

Anyway let's be realistic and it is November so no chance of me going out on those dodgy Pirelli corsa's on damp icy roads :(

Right so first job to fill time is sort out the PDI properly!!!
    Syringed some oil off and took just short of 200 ml out to get the right level (so screwed out to screwed in dipstick is around a 200ml difference). Ok so they didn't get the oil level right best check around, how about the coolant?
    I always find the best way to check plastic bottles is to use a torch behind the bottle (dodgy old eyes see). Well what a surprise it's just below minimum ummm obviously didn't check that then; topped up.
    What about tyre pressures...... corrected as the check obviously missed this as well.

Beware of shops pdi's if you don't know how to do things yourself then ask a good mate just to give it a once over to save later hassle.

140 miles on, a wash, blow job and ACF 50, it's ready for another day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    It would be interesting to know where you bought it from?
    Incorrect oil and coolant level, wrong tyre pressures, not good!
    The garage/dealer should have checked and sorted this before you took it from them. Not even a decent amount of petrol in it really takes the p*ss! Could have been dangerous if it had conked out in the middle of a junction or on a motorway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    It is in Yorkshire but I will be having a word with the shop before I say where!

Piss poor if you ask me but unfortunately as part of the deal I have already negotiated the 600 mile service is included...... I think I'll be saying something like "I'd rather have the book stamped and the parts Thanks!".

• Agree Agree x 2