Newbie Fixing Up A Speed Triple 2010 Rs

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by triplerob, Mar 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. triplerob

triplerob New Member

Mar 13, 2021
    LOS ANGELES,CA
    Hi Guys,

new speed triple owner. Bought the bike for dirt cheap and fixing it up to get it back on the road.

So far I've listed what I can see. I'm sure there will be more once I get it to a mechanic for a total check up (safety first) but i'd like to fix the things that do not require a pro for now.

The list is as follows: Front calipers, clutch handle, gas handle, mirrors, front signal lights, rearsets, rear master cylinder and stator (I have the stator) but net to mount it) and right front fork.

Again, I'm pretty sure I am missing stuff but for now this is what I found.

Any help or comment is welcome. If you see something on the pictures that I did not list please let me know.

Thanks
    E66663BC-63B9-459A-89C2-44511AEAC6EE.JPG 15AD9A67-D4B5-4893-80E7-F2F798CC47D1.JPG 4D4AD1DE-1125-4E20-9338-AB01352DC6E4.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. triplerob

triplerob New Member

Mar 13, 2021
    LOS ANGELES,CA
    Can someone help with this question please: I've been looking for breaks, is it ok to buy used calipers? new ones run pretty steep. Also, can I use nissin breaks instead of brembo (were the ones on the bike originally)?
    Same for the rear master cylinder, can I buy a used one?

Thanks for the help

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    If you got brakes from a breakers yard they will probably be fine but maybe worth replacing seals and rebleeding them. A different manufacturer will still work as long as they can be mounted correctly ie hole pitch.
    Good luck and keep us posted with updates :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    TripleRob.
    Yes you can get away with good disc from the breakers. Disc's you need to be wary run your finger around the edge see how much lip is on there. And check alought hard but a warped disc is no good to man or beast. There are manufactures out there that sell reasonable after market disc's to fit most bikes at the right price. Some Nissan and Brembo brake callipers are interchangeable you just need to check. But Brembo are great when set up right most of the amateur race boys and girls use them. Lot of the time people use the wrong fluid where you need the fluid to suit the riding. And take it slow and carefully and you will be fine.
    Joe.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. triplerob

triplerob New Member

Mar 13, 2021
    LOS ANGELES,CA
    Thank you so much for the help!!!! I just received a quote for the calipers from a triumph garage and they want a bit less then $1k for each side :joy: so I'll go with good used break. Thank again!

• Like Like x 1