Newbie After Some Advice Speed Triple Abs 2015

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Joe Handman, Aug 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joe Handman

Joe Handman New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Crawley
    Hi all, thanks for taking a look at my plea for help. I have a 2015 speed triple ABS. It needs a new rear disc. I have a rear paddock stand, correct sockets & tools to do the job, but I can’t see a way of getting to higher Hex bolts on the disc without removing the whole final drive and axel. Is there a how too that you know of? I have tried the triumph online manual... but it says Service manual unavailable for my bike! Thanks again for looking.
    Joe

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A more I failing to understand something? Take the wheel off. The disc is bolted to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Joe Handman

Joe Handman New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Crawley
    Hi Callumity, thanks for the swift reply and the video. I was hoping that there was a way without removing the entire axel, which is not possible when using the rear stand.
    Cheers
    Joe

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I must check my Tiger Sport. I imagined that with wheel removed on paddock stand and caliper dropped you could rotate the axle/disc assembly to access all 4 bolts from the LH side and remove disc and reluctor ring.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joe Handman

Joe Handman New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Crawley
    Sounds like a plan, thanks I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll have a look

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Welcome Joe

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #7 Callumity, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Well I have checked and the axle needs to come out. Just shows you the danger of assumptions!

If you have no centre stand you might need to knock up a solid tImber trestle to sit the bike on to remove everything. Not necessarily a bad idea to clean and re-grease the entire back end.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    I can confirm this, chapter 6.13 in the Haynes manual describes this, but the guy in the video (he has done a lot of great videos) describes it well.
    I do think the bike he is doing it on is pretty much spot on with your bike, so should be exactly the same.

As @Callumity says, do a clean and re-grease/maintenance of the ball-bearings and other bits and bobs while you have all of this off. The same guy has videos on what to do.
    Make sure you tighten the nuts and bolts to the correct NM.

Just out of curiosity, changing the rear disc sounds unusual for such a new bike, what has happened to it?

Edit: Just realised that the video posted is the one when he is doing maintenance work on the read hub.
    Edit2: If you have the time do this at the same time (if it hasn't been carried out lately)

9. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield

Mine isn't. T'disc stays attached to t'swingarm.

10. Joe Handman

Joe Handman New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Crawley
    So, I have now successfully completed the task, disc and pads changed and no need to remove the axel. Callumity - for mine you did assume right! With the wheel off, and the. Calliper off you can rotate the hub to expose the torx bolts on the reluctor ring, that then can be moved to expose the torx bolts for the disc. Once all bolts removed the disc can (with a little patience and manipulation) be lifted over the hub. The disc has the same profile as the hub so once aligned can be removed. Reverse for the new and bobs your mothers brother! Thanks for the help all and the warm welcome

• Like Like x 3
  11. Joe Handman

Joe Handman New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Crawley
    So, I have now successfully completed the task, disc and pads changed and no need to remove the axel. Callumity - for mine you did assume right! With the wheel off, and the. Calliper off you can rotate the hub to expose the torx bolts on the reluctor ring, that then can be moved to expose the torx bolts for the disc. Once all bolts removed the disc can (with a little patience and manipulation) be lifted over the hub. The disc has the same profile as the hub so once aligned can be removed. Reverse for the new and bobs your mothers brother! Thanks for the help all and the warm welcome and all on the paddock stand

• Like Like x 1
  12. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Nice one and great info.

• Like Like x 1