New Watercool Bonneville Owners Beware.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Alectron, Aug 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alectron

Alectron Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Had my locked and chained Bonnie stolen and ridden away in just seconds!
    Before buying the bike new, all the advertising said these bikes were super secure with coded keys, steering lock and deadlock written into the ECU.
    My bike was stolen in just 15 seconds and gone. It was seen by a few members of the public being ridden away, engine running etc.
    The cast steering lock was just smashed to bits, switch cables pulled down and twisted together. The seat was removed by simply pulling the lock cable to get access to the ECU.
    Luckily my bike was later recovered with little obvious damage except some cut wires etc but couldn't be ridden.
    However, when finally taken to a triumph garage to be fixed, a bill for over £4.500 was received due to both clocks having their cables being pulled so hard the damage is unrepairable and damage to the ECU.
    I had expected a bill for a few hundred quid but this is now an insurance job instead!
    So my advice is never leave your bike without extra security and gps tracker, ever.

20200731_110919.jpg

20200731_111004.jpg

20200731_105838.jpg

• WTF WTF x 7
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have been using a disc lock on mine the last few years. I usually put it on the rear where the bike is too heavy for the lazy ones to lift. Like all such things, it works until it doesn't. I also ride older stuff. I think these kind of clowns are mainly after the new stuff. :( ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    It almost seems it would have been better had they gotten clean away never to be found so you could just make a claim and get a new bike.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:mad:Bastids :mad:

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    ... and straight into a wall/ dump truck. Better again. Rancid fks.

Hope you get some joy out the situ. Shocking post.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    The reason for my post is to hopefully convince other bikers to add extra security to your machine.
    Triumph seem to pride themselves on quality and security, especially when these new water cooled bikes were sold.
    After paying enough to buy a good small car for my bike, I did expect more than this.

IMG-20190827-WA0000.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. B with Speed

B with Speed Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Denver Colorado
    Whoa, that’s downright awful. Very sorry to hear this, and now you have to pay to get it fixed? Just insult to injury.
    Wishing you the best in getting beyond this and back on the road

• Like Like x 5
  8. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Thanks for the info Alectron. How on earth did they get through any reasonable padlock and chain in fifteen seconds? Sounds like a tracker and alarm is a must and don't leave unattended which spoils the free spirit sentiment somewhat. Bloody fecal accretions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    Out and out cnuts! Just hope they somehow get their comeuppance.

All the best

Oldfart

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hope you get a good result out of this, it seems the norm today all manufacturers governed by bean counters and no justice from the law when our hard earned items get stolen.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    How did they get it running without the coded keys?

• Like Like x 1
  12. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Speculating wildly... Can't imagine any particular thought to security is designed into ECUs, so possibly there are automated hacks out there. Or they just plugged in their own computer to replace ECU. I mean, aren't there legitimate things that you can buy that do that sort of thing to tune bikes. E.g. hack ECUs to apply different maps or 'piggy-back' ECUs.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Thanks brown mouse.
    I really don't know how they did it but it only took seconds. There was AAA very smokey video of the two in action.
    But I will get the bike back at least. We've had some great times on her while riding around Scotland in particular, nothing can take that away!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Very sorry to hear this and thanks for the heads up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    It isn't just Triumph, if thieves want your bike it will be gone irrespective of make!!
    So as you say secondary measures are best.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Thanks Wishbone.
    As said I'm more concerned about the advertising made about these new and expensive machines claiming that they are so secure, in my case it just wasn't so!
    I've even had a response from triumph saying that my case "was just impossible" which indicates to me that they think I'm telling lies!!
    In my view this is just totally unacceptable.
    Speaking to local mechanical engineers, their view is that the shattered steering lock mechanism is made from cheap cast metal which breaks so easily "it's almost like it's meant to break". Which isn't what I'd hoped for. The subsequent damage caused is unbelievable!!

17. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I am a mechanical engineer and the steering locks on most bikes are easily broken, they are a only useful for the stoopid local teens.
    Any more serious criminals will overcome them easily and either drive a bike off or throw it in a van.
    What is worrying is that it appears to have been started without a coded key?

My son and his mates have had numerous bikes stolen and they were mostly Japanese/Italian!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. rmoore911

rmoore911 New Member

May 20, 2020

If there's a will, there's a way to get around all these security measures. That being said, I do plan on adding a disk lock and some other security features when I start riding my bike more. Currently, it only gets ridden when I'm practicing, so I don't leave it alone anywhere, other than in my locked garage.

• Like Like x 2