New Tyres Street Twin

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Royston Jones, Jul 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Royston Jones

Royston Jones Member
    Subscriber

Jul 2, 2020
    Strensall York
    Hello. When I joined I stated that I could not wait to change from Pirelli Sports Comp to Continental Road Attack. I can honestly say what a difference they make to the stock tyre. Changed today and straight away you notice the difference, comfort, handling and most of all confidence that they will grip. I did notice that a few other members had also mentioned this subject. What is annoying is Triumph put these Pirelli tyres on for looks and not what they are supposed to do! If anyone is a fan of Stock tyres my are for sale.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Richard Goss

Richard Goss Senior Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Newbury
    Thanks for the feedback, I am looking to get some RA3s put on my Street Cup at the next service.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    The more I look at the stock the more I think they just need rounding off a little, so you don't start to meet the ridge at an average amount of lean angle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. David A Wright

David A Wright New Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Preston
    I find the standard tyres are fine in the dry but they are horrible in the wet!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Which is one of the reasons I dumped mine..bloody dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Changed to the RA3s a couple months ago and put a review on this forum. Pretty much feel like the oem tires were junk compared to the Contis. I’ve put some good miles on them, including commuting in the rain. I will be replacing them with the same when the time comes unless something goes horribly wrong as they wear.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Royston Jones

Royston Jones Member
    Subscriber

Jul 2, 2020
    Strensall York
    Fingers crossed they do exactly what Continental state they do and that keep you safe and out perform other leading brands.

8. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    #8 OsteKuste, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Funny thing, on today’s outing picked up a nail in the rear tire. It hit right in one of the sipes in the middle of the tire. Ran it until it was low enough to possibly start damaging the tire to get to a safe spot to stop. Had to call in the missus to bring some kit for a roadside repair. I have a quality plug kit, five minutes and done. I need to figure out a mobile flat repair kit. Don’t know how often the wife will come to the rescue. This is the first puncture I’ve had, and I chalk it up to plain bad luck. Nothing to do with the tires. I do hope my plug repair holds.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Im debating whether to replace the tire I just had to plug, or run it. If it holds air I might run it for a while. I rarely get onto major motorways and honestly don’t like going much over 70mph. I’d much rather be doing the twisties. Any thoughts?

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Most plugs are temporary solutions until you can get the tyre patched.o_O If it holds air the length of temporary is up to you :p we used to leave plugs in on newer tyres without any issue, but now I travel out of town with limited assistance, I would get professionally patched:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Plug has been in for 24 hrs and no noticeable drop in pressure. If it continues to hold I may run it until I have time to see if it can be patched.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    #12 covid-21, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    When I bought my GS five years ago, I put new tyres on and almost immediately found a nail in it. I thought the same thing as the OP. Fcuk, now I have to get a new tyre. Did some research and decided that Safety Seal were the best plugs due to them being self vulcanising and no need to use glue.

Plugged the tyre and after a while I forgot about it, lasted the entire 20,000 km's never losing pressure. Over the past five years I've had a total of two nails and one screw that I had to plug.

I can confidently say that, at least for 'Safety Seal' that you have absolutely nothing to worry about. In fact the last nail i found last month, I actually enjoyed plugging it, it was fun. I keep a mini air compressor on my bike, which I never used because i only found the nails when I was already at home. And it's also why wire wheels scare me. No room on my new Street Twin for a compressor.

Look at it this way, with both nails and screws my tyre did not lose any pressure until I removed them, so if a metal nail can seal a tyre, a plug is going to be better. A self vulcanising plug actually becomes part of the tyre.

My advice...forgeddaboutit.

https://www.safetyseal.com

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    The plug kit I use is made by ARB, a well known company that makes overland 4wheeling equipment. They don’t make anything that’s cheap or junk. I’ve used their plug in many tires and never had one leak. They are the gummy self vulcanising kind, so sticky you almost can’t get the damn thing out of your hand. If it holds air for a reasonable time without loss, I’m running it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    A cheap Chinese plug reamer and inserter are fine as long as you have a quality self vulcanising plug. Mind you the handles come off eventually.

15. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I got it for the heavy duty tires in my Jeep, which will trash the cheap tools

16. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’ve been putting some good miles on the repaired rear tire, and I’m keeping it. It’s not like it’s on a 200mph super bike. I rarely get on a 4lane for more than a few minutes at a time, so high speeds are not a concern. I’ll keep an eye on it as I would any repair, but not worried about it at this point. If you research repairing motorbike tires you will get as many opinions as asking about oil.

• Like Like x 1
  17. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    If you think about the mechanics, for the plug to detach from the split insertion pin means there has to be a 'bulb' on the inside of the tyre. It's therefore effectively impossible to for the plug to get pushed out and as I said earlier I've never lost pressure having a nail or a screw in the tyre therefore it beggars belief that it would be possible for a self vulcanising plug to leak air. And while I haven't tried it I'd be pretty confident to say that even a low quality plug with glue would be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  18. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    Update, OK I just got another frikken screw in my tyre, first one on the ST. I left my old self vulcanising plugs in the toolkit when I sold my GS. But I'm getting pretty adept at plugging tyres these days, job done in about 5 minutes. I just bought some ordinary no name brand plugs as I don't have time to wait for delivery of the Safety Seal brand. As I'd expect they may not be as good, but nevertheless they sealed perfectly.

Seriously, plugs are absolutely not a problem to worry about at all.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Phill Pounder

Phill Pounder Member

Sep 24, 2020
    Derby
    I dumped my Street twin's phantoms after 600 poor miles and fitted Avon Road Riders..now it handles as a bike should. The phantom rears are made in China and the fronts in Brazil - it's printed on the sidewall.
    The front has a 3.3mm tread depth from new - pirelli confirmed this to me -
    So unless you run your fronts right down to 1mm before scrapping, you have less than 2mm of wear before you have to replace them. WTF.
    My Avons have 5mm front tread. So I have twice as much rubber to wear away before replacing.
    I have emailed Triumph asking why they fit 3mm treaded tyres.
    No reply yet....I will post any I get..

• Like Like x 3