New Tyres For Speed Triple

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Chester Monty, Apr 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    #1 Chester Monty, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    After picking up a puncture over the weekend I need to change the tyres on my Speedie, the only problems is I'm not sure which way to go.
    I ride mostly in the dry but living in North Wales the rain is never far away, so I need a tyre that will work in changeable conditions. I think I have got it down to Metzeler M7RR or Michelin PP3, but I haven't had any experience with these tyres before.
    Has anyone got any thoughts or advice?

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I am sticking with the Supercorsa as i love the profile, have been caught out in the rain a few times and a hailstorm and don't have a problem with them but would love to know which tyre you go for and how you get on with them. Out of the 2 choices you have listed i would go for the M7RR :)

3. Colonel Custard

Colonel Custard New Member

May 18, 2016
    Wiltshire
    I've got Michelin pilot road 3's on mine and have no complaints though I've not tried different brands to compare, I don't go on track but have never found them wanting for grip on the road, I try to ride within my limits rather than the bikes, sensible ish I like to think. They seem to wear well and apparantly are good in the wet, though again I try to avoid riding when there is a good chance of precipitation!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    The Metzelers get a good write up for wet gip, something the supercorsas were missing!

5. Yogi

Yogi New Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Sunny Stoke
    I have Metzeler Racetec's on mine.
    Out of the two you have listed I'd deffo go for the M7rr

• Like Like x 1
  6. Danny mc

Danny mc Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Liverpool
    Don't pick my 17 s3r up till Saturday but I'm already thinking of tyres,I know the supercorsas will be good in the dry but the wet???,I'm also thinking how long they'll last,go to Spain for 12 days in July so there's probably 1500k in that trip alone,my s1000r had the Bridgestone 20's and they were spot on in Spain last year,got 3800 out of rear,decent tyre:)
    Although the M77 has a good following :)

7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    They're not that great in the dry if it's cold......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    they will be terrible in the wet:( and they will be well F**ked after 1500 miles! i changed mine to the Angel GT great in the dry and in the wet,plenty grip for on the road, and you should get at least 3800 out of them too:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Danny mc

Apr 24, 2017
    Liverpool
    :( F--k me new tyres before I even start haha

10. Danny mc

Apr 24, 2017
    Liverpool
    :eek: Geeez might have to change before Spain don't wanna be looking for new tyres while away!!!o_O

11. Frugaltail

Frugaltail Guest

Ive used two sets of M7rr and they last ambetween 4-6k depending on rider, some have got a little more but I think 6k is realistic max for most.

The grip amazingly well cold and wet or hot and dry.

They are a sport profile for sure, feel identical to rosso corsa. They like staying on their sides but don't fall into a corner.

I've got 1800 miles on this current set and they still look new, the centre band is soo hard you don't tend to get any squaring off right till the end of the tyre life.

There also reasonably priced.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mike Grant

Mike Grant New Member

May 13, 2017
    Scotland
    Recently heard from a friend that swore by M77s and pilot road 3s. Just swapped to the pilot sport RS tyres and looking at reviews online they are better than the M77s. Worth a look I would say.

13. Yogi

Yogi New Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Sunny Stoke
    I'll have a look at the Michelins.
    I got a Trackday on the 2 June to finish off the racetecs
    Then I'll deffo be needing new.

14. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    #13 Tony Rokins, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    I've just had my 2nd pair of Dunlop Sportsmarts. The 1st pair where the orginal sportsmarts, I'm now on the mk2s. They provide all the grip you can use, great wet grip and the bike handles very nicely, feel inspires confidence. The 1st pair lasted 6k miles
    T

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Danny mc

Apr 24, 2017
    Liverpool
    Got my Bridgestone s21's fitted at weekend,maybe in my head but feeling on bike is much better I.e cornering/twisties,just what I'm used to I suppose

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    So, as you can see in the pictures my Supercorsas are toast after 3600 miles. At 3500 they were dead already but I thought I could still get another ride out of them. Guess I was wrong. Luckily I managed to get home right side up. I'm getting them swapped for Rosso 3s this week as these should give me a bit more rubber where I need it for those trips abroad. Will post my impressions here once I get a few rides on them.

20170808_215104.jpg

20170808_215121.jpg

20170808_215204.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  17. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Funnily enough I'm having Roadtec mt01's fitted today, can't see the need for a trackday tyre...

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    You'll love them, I've got them and they are fab. Take your time running them in, they like a couple of hundred miles but once fully bedded in give excellent grip. I dont ride in the rain unless I get caught out but it rained after I had only just had the front on and I was impressed. I'll give more feedback on them when I return from my Spain trip when they should have done a couple of thousand miles.
    MCN tyre test gave them full marks in all test categories.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    I know what you mean and I used to think like that too. That was before I tried the Supercorsas. I used to swear by the BT023s as the ultimate tire but the Supercorsa is just a completely different experience. The lightness and grip is like nothing I had ever ridden before. And since it doesn't rain much on my side of the world, it made sense. For a while... I hope the Rosso 3s will be a good compromise between longevity and sportiness.

20. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Had two sets of maxxis on my vtec, very good value for money and enough grip to grind the pegs on track.

21. Wallcrawler

Wallcrawler New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Montana, USA
    My Speed and my Street both really like Michelin Pilot 3's. I will use these until I cannot buy them any longer. Sticky, great in the wet and fantastic in the dry. I need a new one on the front of the Speed and I love to see that it's the wear bars on the sides that are making that decision. 2 rears per front it seems for these tires.

22. PaulSpeedTrip

PaulSpeedTrip Member

Aug 7, 2016
    South Yorkshire
    Just got back from a 4 day tour of Scotland. Mixed bag of weather which included some hard rain. Got to say the Diablo Rosso Corsa's performed well. The others on the trip mostly had the Pilot Road 4's on and swore by them. In the wet though it was obvious the amount of extra grip the Rp4's had.

23. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I fitted a pair of Diablo Rosso 3's at the weekend, initial thoughts are they feel the same as the Supercorsa's but just with some extra tread on them for the wet :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. PaulSpeedTrip

PaulSpeedTrip Member

Aug 7, 2016
    South Yorkshire
    If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the set fitted? be interested to know also how they feel in the rain.
    Thanks

25. PaulSpeedTrip

PaulSpeedTrip Member

Aug 7, 2016
    South Yorkshire
    If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the set fitted? be interested to know also how they feel in the rain.
    Thanks