New Tyres for a Bonnie

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Gumboot50, Jun 3, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gumboot50

Gumboot50 New Member

Jun 3, 2016
    Herts
    Hello all,
    I've joined this forum. My wife, Wendy, and I both run Triumphs: Wendy has a 2013 Bonnie, with alloy wheels, and I have a 2012 Street Triple (I also have a Kawasaki Z1000SX - fantastic bike but I won't talk about it here!).

It's coming time for new tyres for the Bonnie and we (well, me mainly) are thinking about replacing the stock Metzelers with something a bit better. I've seen a couple of recommendations here for Avon Roadrider AM26's but are there any others that you knowledgeable types can recommend?
    Thanks very much,
    Steve

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I'm at that stage soon so I'll be following any comments too.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Once the original tyres (Metzlers from memory) I installed AM 26's on the bike. I was so satisfied with the complete package (price/grip/wear) that I installed a second set.

4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Welcome to the forum Gumboot and to your wife Wendy, I too being fairly new to the forum will glean some more info
    from your question, Memory not what it was I have my notebook ready !!! lol
    Enjoy !!!

5. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Having just 'run in' a set of Avon AM 26's I can vouch for them, I had a new 26 on for last years MOT, done a 1000 miles and still has the mould marks and pips on it, put a new 26 on the rear last week to match it, and it rides like a different bike!
    Expecting high mileage, we will see, if I can get 8 thou out of a rear I'll be happy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Had an se bonnie ally wheels, put on metzlers laser tech, they made the bike handle so much better from stock tyres.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Poppy Baker

Poppy Baker Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Dorset
    Morning...just asking for an update on your Avons? I'm attempting to decide today as need to replace before touring...Avon appear the make of choice but would love to know how yours have handled please?
    Cheers Poppy x

8. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Sold the tyres, new owner got a free bike!
    Seriously though, they worked great, were well run in before I sold it, I got caught out in the rain twice, really when you need them and they gave good feed back and confidence, planning on getting another Bonnie and will definitely be re-shodding it with them.
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  9. Poppy Baker

Poppy Baker Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Dorset
    Cheers Terry..the market is so diverse with positive feedback but I realise it's a personal choice.
    Have a good weekend !
    Poppy

10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    TyreTec do a good service. (all makes of tyre)
    I got my Avon Roadrider AM26 front and rear tyres delivered for £125.50
    Local place will fit them for £10 each or £20 each if they remove the wheels.
    I will take the wheels off myself as I like to check and thoroughly clean everything at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Poppy Baker

Poppy Baker Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Dorset
    That's good thanks, I saw my garage yesterday to order a set & was told that the stock tyres are radials, whilst the Avons aren't...did I mind?
    I asked him how does one compare against the other & he was very non committal?
    Left not ordering anything & wanted to ask people's opinion on radials.
    With the amount of recommendations for the Avon my decision is clear but I'd like someone, if possible to explain how a radial tyre compares to a non??
    (I'll keep TyreTecs info, cheers)

12. Poppy Baker

Poppy Baker Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Dorset
    That's good thanks, I saw my garage yesterday to order a set & was told that the stock tyres are radials, whilst the Avons aren't...did I mind?
    I asked him how does one compare against the other & he was very non committal?
    Left not ordering anything & wanted to ask people's opinion on radials.
    With the amount of recommendations for the Avon my decision is clear but I'd like someone, if possible to explain how a radial tyre compares?
    (I'll keep TyreTecs info, cheers)

13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Hmmmm all to do with the weft and weave! Time was when all bike tyres were crossply (AM26s) because a bike rolls round its carcase and you want the tyre to maintain its shape. The internal structure is like a normal weave at 45 degress to direction of travel. Radials started in cars with radial strands at right angles to the tread and 90 degress to the contact patch. On cars this meant the contact patch stays flat on the road and the distortion is in the tyre wall enhancing grip.
    Superbike tyres now distort too but the Bonnie does not generate enough power/heat/load to really benefit. The Avon is perfectly well up to the job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Piccy worth a thousand words....

E2E0CA99-A076-4D79-827D-7007B4510AF4-237-0000002E09606042.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Poppy Baker

Poppy Baker Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Dorset
    That's good to hear, I like to have a good if not basic understanding before making a decision.
    Thanks for the help !

16. Poppy Baker

Poppy Baker Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Dorset
    I'm keeping that, it's a subject for the pub I feel !
    Thanks

17. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Brilliant description Callum!
    The tyre manufacturers should come knocking on your door.

18. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Poppy
    Welcome in, its a great bunch here, talking to a friend last night, he got an America and he,s got laser tech on that done 5,500 miles on those tyres thinks he has at least another 1000 miles left and most of his riding is two up. He found like me that they transformed the bike handling. Don't get too hung up on the radial crossply thing as if you stick to one of our recomendations you won't go far wrong.
    Don,t forget we like pictures of our bikes.

19. Poppy Baker

Poppy Baker Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Dorset
    Thanks Pottsy, pleeeease tell me where does it allow me to upload photos...I can see you can create a gallery but there isn't an upload from there....I also see when you post a thread you can upload a file....is that the obvious way?

20. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Gumboot, as said earlier I had a Bonny T100 2010. When I got it it had the original equipment tyres Metzeler Lasertec on it. They were without doubt the poorest motorcycle tyres I'd ever experienced so I was very happy when they were worn out (didn't take long and they wore very quickly) so I looked around for replacements and tried a set Avon AM26 tyres.

They gave brilliant grip in warm or cold, wet or dry conditions and a rear lasted me about 12,000kms. And they're not expensive !!!!

• Like Like x 1