Thruxton New Tubes Every Tyre Change?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Dave Roxburgh, Jul 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Roxburgh

Dave Roxburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    I just changed the Diablo tyres (for more of the same) and the garage charged me £48 more than they'd said because they decided to replace the tubes as well as the tyres.

Do you change your tubes with every tyre change?

Do Triumph dealers typically change them with every tyre change?

I'd say it's worth changing the tubes every few years but the bike is only 12 months old and the tyres (and tubes) had only done 1,500 miles.

I was only changing the tyres so I had a new pair for a trackday - which is now not happening :-(

Dave

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Feckin taking the piss if you ask me :mad:
    They probably gave the job to the young un and he fecked them :confused:
    I wouldn’t have paid because I didn’t ask for them to be changed :mad:
    Ask for the original tubes back because they’re yours :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    They’re having a laugh.....at your expense.

The major killer of tyres is UV light from which the tubes are completely shielded. They should last at least 4 or 5 yrs without issues, often longer.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave Roxburgh

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    That's what I thought, cheers.

They did 'forget' to give me the old tyres and tubes back too but I got them - there's nearly £200-worth of rubber there!

• Like Like x 1
  5. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Just had my tubed tyres replaced at Youles in Manchester. There was no mention of new tubes. I reckon you've been ripped off.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dave Roxburgh

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    > The major killer of tyres is UV

Hmmm. Thanks for that - I'll put them away somewhere dark!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I changed them at the first tyre change in the belief that Triumph would have bought the cheapest tubes they could. I had Michelin tubes fitted and interestingly they hold pressure for longer now. As for future tyre changes, two tubes add about £30. It's not a fortune, so I'll probably change them. I see the sense in not doing it though, particularly if you're changing the rear at least every year. Mine will probably do 2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave Roxburgh

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    Hmmm. The tubes the workshop removed from my 2019 bike - the tubes fitted by the factory - are Metzeler.

Mazeler is a brand I am very happy to use.

The tubes they fitted are of unknown brand... but they charged me £48 for them.

Oh, and they damaged the original rear tube (split it by the valve). Maybe that's why they suddenly decided to change the tubes - to hide the fact that they damaged the old one.

It's enough to make you want to buy your own tyre changing kit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Frustrating indeed. I hate tyre change time. And £48 for tubes is really steep but they have you don't they when they damage one and the only alternative to hand happens to be what they can sell you.

10. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Go back to them and say that you didn't ask for them to be changed. This is a rip off covering their damage to the original.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I agree. If they damaged it, they should pay for it, not you. The fact it wasn't flat when you took it is proof they damaged it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    It might not actually have been them. When I took a TTR out for a test ride the valve split from the tube causing instant deflation. Fortunately I had just come off a motorway and was stopped at traffic lights, even more fortunate only about 0.247 of a mile from the dealer. Bike had under 200 miles on the clock. It didn't put me off buying one but the first job I did was send my wheels to Doug Richardson at Devon Wheel Company to convert them to full stainless steel and tubeless. No no longer need to think of tubes bursting or corrosion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #13 Flashp, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Would you happen to have any photo's of the wheels on the bike you could share? I quite like the idea of upgrading/improving but keeping the original look. Did you have stainless wheel rims as well as spokes? TIA :)

14. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    Also added one of the wheels for my T140V , he did last month. Both wheels stainless rims, spokes and nipples. Last a lifetime or two !

document size.jpg

document size.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Thanks for that, the wheels seem to have a different profile which looks really nice. I notice they have different finishes, which did you go for?

I also wonder if it's cost effective to buy new hubs and then sell on the old wheels complete??? I'll have a look Ebay etc and see if there's any demand for them, perhaps from Speed Twin owners.

I think I shall look up the price of hubs and ask for a quote to build wheels with new hubs and also to re-use my hubs.

16. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    I have just had a look at the tubes that came out my T140V last week and one, Continental make has stamped on it " new tires - new tube" or "neuer reifen -neuer schlauch" or " nouvea pneu- nouveau tuyau" or " nouvo pneumatico-nouvo tubo" and finally "nuevo neumatico-nuevo tubo"

Not trying to stir things up I hope you realise !!

17. dav.a

dav.a Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Argyll
    I sent the entire wheel to him with the tyre fitted and he used the original hubs but replaced the rims, spokes and nipples with stainless steel. Converted them to run tubeless and sent the wheels back ready for fitting. If your going to use him I would do so over the Winter so the wheels are back in time for Spring. You should phone him to chat about options, timescales etc. He is very good to deal with.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    They change your tubes which will look like new, they then fit them to the next mugg who comes along, so the tubes you have in your bike belong to the mugg before you.