New Tourist Route The "north East 250"

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dougie D, Jan 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    No doubt in a bid to bring more tourism to this part of Scotland,if it becomes even half as popular as the NC500 it can only be a good thing:)
    https://www.northeast250.com/

• Like Like x 7
  2. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    upload_2018-1-30_10-34-31.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    Never knew it existed Dougie, a part of Scotland I've never seen and it's just up the road from me :oops:

Why am I always drawn to the West coast when I go for a run ???...I don't know.... creature of habit me :D

4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i've done it several times Gary,as it basically starts on my doorstep! but like you i normally head over the west coast too

5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

There's a Borders 500 too!
    Screenshot_20180201-221742.png

• Like Like x 5
  6. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Where’s that castle ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Carelaverock Castle, just south of Dumfries.
    They have a full size trebuchet, but unfortunately they built it aimed directly at the castle!!!!! :p, so therefore cannot be fired :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Did most of the 'North East 250' last year, with an over night on Portsoy bunkhouse. Cracking route on mainly empty coast roads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Cheers that’s a cracker and not one I’ve been too...one for this year I reckon

10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Dougie, have you tried going as far as Findhorn/Kinloss/Forres and then over to Grantown? I was gonna but didn't have time after spending too much time in Findhorn. It's on my to-do-list next time in the N.East.

11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Yes in fact last year i met @Sprinter in Grantown-on Spey and i we took the road up to Forres or it could have been Nairn..cant remember now:confused: both are good roads though,I've copied the NC250 into my routes on the myroute app and i will have to do it sometime this year as any time I'm up that way i usually stick to the A roads and don't go on the B roads that go round the coast like the NC250 does

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

These are my work roads, I know then well I like to get up early and head out Dont ask me to comment cos Ive stayed here all my life so they are just local roads to me.
    It was Forres, Dougie a good day out, I like the Dufftown Huntly road, and most of its downhill :)

The NE doesnt have the mountains its mostly flat farmland. Im realy trying to think of something to say only this is my home, most of these roads, I know every curve and bend.I dont know if you would find then good or not, All I know is, If Ive been on holiday and I get back here Its like putting on an old slipper and sometimes the best part of the run.
    Good quiet roads which to alot of you guys in the south must sound like bike heaven. Come and visit.

13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    that's right i remember now we took the Nairn RD then about half way up i cut off onto the Forres Rd.i notice the route goes through Pennan where Local Hero was filmed,that would be good to visit

14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    There are so many little things like that,The Pennan road is again a twisty corkscrew, only I know it so well I forget how technical it must be.I played in the rock pools there as a kid.
    I wouldnt live anywhere else through choice.Quiet law abiding friendly with beaches and forests, walk the dog for a few hours and meet no-one,honest. Empty roads. I consider this a forgotten corner.We dont have the dramatic scenery,we do have the sunny disposition, and approximately 1/2 the rainfall.
    50% of the population are English, who soon loose everything that made them move away in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    At the risk of sounding cynical (moi?) ALL of these routes pre-existed any tourist office invention to promote them as a ‘route’ at all. They were there before any highlighter pen got near them. They now risk becoming victims of their own success by attracting volumes of traffic to formerly quiet roads.
    One of the real joys for those of us living in or near the more scenic spots is to vary them with well chosen detours even if grass or gravel up the middle and passing places reduce the Cadwell Park dimension of fast swooping curves and elevation changes; less Speed Triple more Tiger!

16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    The roads are good fun even if the scenery isn't as dramatic as West Coast and Highlands.

• Agree Agree x 1