New To Triumph

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Bernie Parks, May 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bernie Parks

Bernie Parks New Member

May 11, 2018
    Cornwall
    Hi
    I've just bought a Street Twin after a considerable break from biking. I love the bike and would like to use it on my 70 mile round trip commute.

Some years back, I had a slipped disc in my neck (I can hear the cries of why get a naked bike already!). However, I love the retro look and am prepared for a bit of pain.

When I bought the bike, I used the Triumph site to "build" in the accessories and concluded that I didn't much like the look of the screens - especially the touring one. Since then, I've ridden at 70 (ish) and find in a headwind it's rather hard work on the neck and I may be having a change of heart about a screen :) .

I'm 5'4" and wondered how effective the fly screen would be to deflect the headwind. Any advice would be gratefully received. I also gather that the Dart Marlin may be a better option.
    Many thanks :)

2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi Bernie and welcome. I would go for the Dart screen which IMHO is the bettwr buy.....
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Welcome to the forum! Others will be along to welcome you that have experience with the different screens. You find also some good laughs on the other threads.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome to the Asylum you should fit right in. To keep the inmates happy we will need photos.
    Hope it's black _20180204_105716.jpg Tucker

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Hello and welcome to the forum. Give it some time and I promise you will get some good advice and useful comments to help you decide. Nothing on my scrambler above the handlebars!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hi.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bernie Parks

Bernie Parks New Member

May 11, 2018
    Cornwall
    Thanks Tucker. You may be pleased to know the bike is matt black

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Bernie and welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Height is a big issue - if I wind my neck in ( an infrequent event) I get much better protection than sitting ‘normally’. The shorter you are, the more benefit you get from your screen and it is all a bit ‘suck it and see’ when you choose any particular screen based on its aesthetics rather than your aerodynamics.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Welcome to the forum Bernie enjoy the banter:sun::sun:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Well in that case you can have the room in between me and Dilligaf they have just finished putting cushions on all the Wall's.
    Tucker

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Welcome from California. I also have a new Street Twin (and love it). I have the touring screen. It is well engineered and it does a great job. Highly recommended. The fly screen is for 'looks' only and offers little if any overall wind protection.

IMG_0713.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome Bernie.

I'm 5'8" (on tip toe with thick soles). In standard guise I found the wind on my upper chest caused quite a bit of arm ache trying to hang on at 70+mph. With the fly screen the wind is transferred up around my head. If you don't mind the looks then the touring screen might be a good option, but you might also find the fly screen works for you to take the wind above your head.

Anyway, if you'd like to out faces to names check out our annual picnic and JD/Bushmills tasting event this July.

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/grand-meet-up-2018-wales.12452/

• Like Like x 1