675 New To Triumph, Question Before I Buy

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by David Ramsey, Jan 11, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Ramsey

David Ramsey New Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Nashville TN
    Been shopping around for a Street Triple for a few months and I think I found one. Just have a couple of questions before I buy.

Its a 2009 Street Triple R with 23,000 miles on the clock. My biggest concern is the seller hasn't ever had the valves serviced and has no history from the previous owner on the service. If I buy I'd be buying on the assumption that the valve clearances have never been checked or adjusted. Would this be a deal breaker? Ther service manual I found online said they need to be checked every 12,000 miles so it basically missed the first check and coming up on the second one.

I ride a 2009 Versys 650 now and have done two valve adjustments myself on it. Are the valves much harder to service on a Street Triple other than having a third cylinder? From the schematics I've seen, the engines look similar enough at least on the top end.

Are parts hard to source for the 2009 Street Triple?

Any other issues I should check for?

Thanks! -DK

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    The one thing you could do is do a compression test on the motor before you commit yourself. I’m sure there are experts on here that can advise what pressures you are looking for.

If you do then ensure that the tests are carried out with the throttle wide open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    David Ramsey.
    Welcome to the family. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show of the bike to the inmates here in the asylum. But i think i would give this one a miss unless the price is right and you can get the full service on it without breaking the bank.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I'd knock the price of that service from the asking price tbh.
    If he's asking the normal price and won't lower because of it, i'd walk.