Tiger Explorer New To This

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Stevee, Aug 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stevee

Stevee Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London uk
    Bought myself a 1200 explorer 2016 xca two or three weeks ago, absolutly love (as posted on newbies).
    Anyway, anyone find they need to leave theses bikes on a optimate?
    If so,,, at what point or how many days of non use,,, do we think it needs putting on?
    And if so,,,, can you just put the live and neutral pinchers straight on the battery terminals?
    My last bike was a ducati and if left un used, it would need to go on an opti after about 10 days, the battery was also in the swing arm and difficult to get to, so an adaptor under the seat was fitted. The explorer battery is very accessible.
    Thanks for any help or advice on anything about these bikes in advance.

2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Same here, there’s an aux power socket adjacent to the ignition switch which is permanently live on both of the Tiger 800’s I’ve owned and that’s what I use to plug the optimate into.

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've left my 800 for at least three weeks and it started on the button. Never had to use the charger on it to be fair.

4. Stevee

Stevee Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London uk
    Thanks all, understood. They clearly dont have any real issues with battery discharge. If i left my ducati for two weeks, it definitely wouldn't have started. I tend to use my bike two or three times week all the time the weather is decent and i am in the country, then it can go weeks without getting used.

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Is there an alarm fitted? That have been known to drain the battery also what seems a good battery now soon changed when the cold weather arrives! Oh woe is me!

6. Paul Coupe

Paul Coupe Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Gloucestershire
    I leave mine on the battery conditioner if its left idle more than a week just to keep the battery healthy. I don't like running batteries down too much as they can start to sulphate and whilst the lead sulphate can be transferred back to the battery electrolyte on charging, if left too long in the discharged state or allowed to run at a low condition (lots of short trips can do this) then hardened lead sulphate forms which can kill the cells. Most modern conditioners desulphate efficiently and don't over charge as they have cut off circuits so it probably does no harm leaving batteries hooked up after each ride.

• Agree Agree x 2