Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured New To Racing At Fifty Something!

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Bad Billy, Mar 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    My mate and I were watching racing at Castle Coombe last year, it was a North Gloucester Club meeting. One of the races was a Pro Stocks Bandit 600 Challenge class, both of us were very interested in this as it looks to be a very cheap (comparatively) way of racing. Anyway we watched the race and commented at the end that we wouldn't mind 'giving it a go'. The next thing I know is he bought himself a 600 Bandit and spent the winter making it into a Pro Stock racer.

His first race is weekend of 24th & 25th of March 2018 at Brands Hatch, his name is Dave Hatswell and his number is 95 pictured below at the only time he has ridden the thing at a Mallory track day last week.
    His main objective is to finish, as to get rid of the novice orange vest you need to get a number of signatures & you don't get them if you crash!
    If you're attending the meeting help me give him some support coz he'll be crapping himself! :grinning:

IMG_2631.JPG

• Like Like x 16
  2. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Looks like loads of fun Billy!

If your mate wants a complete MK1 600 as a spare bike or a source of spares? Gimme a shout.

A mate of mine in his 60's bought one at the back end of last summer. He said it was gonna be his winter hack. However, he's never ridden it!

He hasn't said he wants to sell it but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much to get him to part with it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    Cheers DD, will mention it to Dave, he paid less than £800 for this one complete with spare rims, forks and shock as it was one someone else was going to race but never got round to it. Whether he needs another donor bike will depend on whether he bins it for the moment!

4. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

No worries,

In the meantime I'll see if my mate is up for selling his?
    He sold his lifetime collection of approx 11 bkes last year for just shy of £50,000.
    The plan was to only have one bike. Since then his collection has slowly started to build up again! o_O

• WTF WTF x 1
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    Oh forgot to mention he is from Yorkshire, his favourite phrase is 'OW MOOTCH' :joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Ah that good old Yorkshire war cry, I use it a lot. Best of luck to Dave.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    Ha ha, I pointed Dave to the Forum telling him that he's only just started racing but he's already famous!
    He found the thread but by that time it was a featured thread on the front page, he was well chuffed, thanks to whoever decided to do this at the forum, I will let you all know how he gets on at Brands.
    Cheers
    Billy

• Like Like x 2
  8. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bad Billy.
    Where did you get the cheap from. There's the fee's then he will probably go through up to £1000 on tyres and services each meet plus all other expenses like transport food. No its not cheap but it is addictive. Those bikes need some maintenance and if you miss then the things will pop the engine with you. But good luck to him. The other thing is to slow is as bad as to quick.
    Probably see you at the meets when I go with my Son who is addicted aswel.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    Hi Joe,
    I said (comparatively) cheap mate as compared to racing in some of the other classes the bike itself at least doesn't cost a lot, you aren't allowed to do too much to them either which stops riders blowing loads of cash on tuning etc, they don't put down the sort power that shred tyres either.
    He was quite lucky as he has picked up quite a lot of spares within the deal when he bought the bike and has since picked up another set of wheels so he has 3 sets now.
    I know there is no such thing as 'cheap' racing as does Dave, I spent 10 years racing in club-man Moto-Cross which is the poor relation compared to road racing but it still took every spare penny I had to keep feeding my racing habit!
    Dave has never raced at any level but is not a slow rider so I am not overly concerned that he'll be getting in anyone's way, he is just focused on finishing races rather than going banzai, at least then he will gain track craft and build confidence and speed from there.
    I will be going to Brands this weekend to give him some support, assume your son is riding in the Pro Stocks on a Bandit as well? If so maybe see you there.
    Cheers
    Bill

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bill
    Not being funny or that and wish your mate the best. He will love it and as we know he addicted now so he's has got to do it. No my boy won't be riding as he moved up to the Ducati tri option. He will be there though supporting the boys he raced with last season. But if you are going throughout the season I will make a point of letting you know and perhaps we can have a cuppa together.
    Regards
    Joe

downloadez_070218_7981_Cartagena.jpg

11. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    This weekends testing in Cartegena

image1.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    Hi Joe,
    Will be going to a few rounds to give Dave a bit of support, more likely the ones down South starting at Brands this weekend, so if you're about give me a shout and we'll have a brew.
    Cheers
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    Hi DD,
    Spoke with Dave the other night and he's interested in your mates Mk1 Bandit to use for spares if the price is right.
    He'd obviously like to see a bit of info on miles covered etc plus a picture if possible, let me know once you have had a word.
    Cheers
    Bill

14. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Hi Bill,

I'm stood next to him as I type. Sadly he doesn't want to sell it. I'll let you know if he changes his mind?

15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    OK mate, I am sure there will be others around.
    At the moment he is more concerned that the 'beast from the east' is supposed to be making a comeback .... don't think he has any snow tyres!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    Just in case anyone is thinking of going to Brands this weekend, don't ... it has been cancelled due to the crap weather warnings :mad:
    Has nobody told the weather gods that it's bloody spring :cold_sweat:, I'm off to Spain with Dilli :sun::sun::sun:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. dilligaf

dilligaf GRRRRRR
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    See ya out there mate :)
    It’s your round :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

DILLI DILLI! :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southampton
    No, I am round! :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes sorry to say the boy won't make it this year as he and the owner of the Ducati's have parted company. Due to the fact they could not see eye to eye and didn't want to alter the bikes to suit my boy and it would have ended up where he paid for every thing. So unless we can find him a bike he's out.
    Ride safe
    Joe.