New To Motorcycles.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Xxoklahoma2010xx, Aug 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Xxoklahoma2010xx

Xxoklahoma2010xx New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Iowa
    Just wondering what I can do to help keep my 17 street twin running and in top form? I've never owned one before and any advice is appreciated.

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Welcome in and the list is endless!! Some retired person will be along to draft you a list out!!

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    As DD says, Tyres (Tires - translation for USA!USA!) check pressures and condition regularly and Chain correct adjustment and lube are vital. I would add regular cleaning of the whole bike, sounds daft but when you properly clean a bike you notice things that aren't right/loose etc, and you have the added bonus of admiring the fruits of your labour, in fact next time you clean it, pop a picture on here for us all to admire!

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Phil-osophy

Phil-osophy Member

May 7, 2018
    Hampshire
    Also, Metre, Litre and Fibre. Also Colour etc...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Phil-osophy

Phil-osophy Member

May 7, 2018
    Hampshire
    I think all the regular checks are listed in the manual. A Haynes Manual has always helped me with all my bikes and cars.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Get one of these and perform all the normal maintenance.
    upload_2018-8-7_7-35-40.png

8. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome:)

9. Nick HM

Nick HM New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Bath, UK
    Honestly, the best thing is to ride it a lot, so that you can tell when things aren't right, and also to keep it spotless. The suggestion about cleaning is actually Triumph's own advice, and it's wise because if you keep the bike clean, you'll become very familiar with how things look. that way, you'll recognise when something doesn't look right, and then you can either fix it, or ask for help.

I'd buy a manual for the bike and read through it. The Hayes ones are good, because they have plenty of hints and tips, and their 'spanner' ranking tells you which jobs are easy and which are difficult. Official manuals assume an amount of knowledge from the mechanic, so they're probably of less use to a newbie.

Of course, you don't need to do all that much maintenance yourself. A hint about what the manufacturer thinks you should have to do is the toolkit that they provide, and what's written in the owner's manual. My Thruxton came with two tools only - an 'L' shaped thing with an allen key at one end and a cross-head screwdriver at the other, and a pair of 'C' wrenches for adjusting the rear suspension preload. The owner's manual tells you how to adjust suspension settings, but not how to adjust the chain. The implication is that they don't expect the owner even to do that - just lubrication. But if I were you , I'd get the Haynes manual and do the rider servicing that they recommend. You'll need some tools, but not many. On the tools front - get good ones, not the cheapest. Halfords professional range tools are good, and they're guaranteed for life, I think.

Good luck!

Nick

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    With 1bar=14.5038psi

Spoked wheels on 2018 recommended 2.5 front and 2.9 rear which comes back to 36 / 42, always measured cold. Again as raised, with pillion and/or heaving load it comes down to situation and tyres fitted (if not specified), but this is a good starting point to learn the bike handling