New To Bonnie's- Help Please.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by JkT100Bon, Feb 13, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JkT100Bon

JkT100Bon New Member

Feb 13, 2021
    Leics
    Hi - just purchased my 1st Bonnie from a dealer. Its a 2008 T100 with 23k on the clock.

I took the bike for a 20min ride today, initially started ok despite being very cold but then stuttered/backfired for 5-10mins before settling down. I had the choke half way out for approx 2 mins.

After the ride, the bike turned over fine but failed to start until the 5th or 6th attempt. I

I'm not sure if it's related, however despite perusing the manual and forums, I've noticed a filter of some description (not sure what it is) under the tank is dripping a pale/cream oil. (Pic below). I'll obviously ring the dealer on Monday but in the meantime and clues as to what wither of these issues might be would be welcome.

Many thanks.

20210213_145806.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

The filter appears to be a crankcase breather, not a standard part, normally the crankcase breathes back through the airbox.

From the pictures your bike appears to be one of the last carburettored Bonnevilles I have a 2006 model, I find that the way to start mine from cold is to pull the choke all the way out, hit the starter but do not open or even blip the throttle until the engine has started and picked up to a steady idle.

I do not normally have a problem starting when warm. Clearly it's a phone call back to the selling dealer asking him to sort out the issues you have

• Like Like x 1
  3. JkT100Bon

JkT100Bon New Member

Feb 13, 2021
    Leics
    #3 JkT100Bon, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    That's useful to know, many thanks.

I think, and given my lack of mechanical knowledge, hope that it's EFI - the manual and dealer advise that it is at least.

I'll still make a call to them on Monday re the filter. Thank you for your help, all being well the roads, weather and C19 will allow a ride out before too long!

Thanks

4. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    Hi jkT100Bon, and welcome.
    Your Bonnie is I think the very first of the EFI 865's. I have an 09 SE EFI. Do you have the standard exhaust or after market? If it's a more open pipe this can cause a little popping on the over run if the ECU has not been re-mapped.
    The choke knob is in fact a fast idle on the EFI bikes and is just a starting aid. On mine I pull the choke knob fully out to start be it hot or cold and use no throttle at all, then push it fully in after a few seconds.
    A hot start with no choke and a little throttle some times doesn't start the bike up first time but I have had some tuning work done and very open pipes and this has changed the character of the engine somewhat.
    The breather filter is non standard but i don't think this should have any bearing on starting running.
    These bikes are usually very reliable so I'm sure you'll get it sussed and really enjoy it when it warms up a bit.

Any way, as your new to the forum enjoy this free....
    20210206_084054.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. JkT100Bon

JkT100Bon New Member

Feb 13, 2021
    Leics
    Cheers, Patchinko!

Clearly you know your Bonevilles as you're right re the pipes upgrade. What do you reckon to the oil on the crank case breather?

Either way, I'm forming the opinion that these are teething problems down to user error (i.e me!).

Despite this, I love the character and styling of these bikes...not to mention the handling; the Bonnie seems just as, if not more agile than my Njnja650 - a welcome surprise given the additional weight of the Bonnie.

Screenshot_20210214-083555_Gallery.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JkT100Bon

JkT100Bon New Member

Feb 13, 2021
    Leics
    Patchinko, I tried followed your cold and hot starting advice- no issues so thanks for that.

Obviously I can't take it out because of Covid and the roads are horrific. Next best thing was to coat it in ACF50 to keep the rust at bay hopefully.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    The crankcase breather pipe would originally have been connected to the air box, any water or oil vapour would have then passed through the air box and then through the carbs before being burnt off in the combustion chambers, the water vapour comes mainly from atmospheric moisture and condensation that forms inside the engine cases whenever the engine cools, someone has removed the breather pipe to the air box and fitted a filter to the end of the pipe, so now the water and oil vapour collects on the filter and forms an emulsion, that is what you can see dripping out of the filter, it’s not a problem other than it causes a mess, people do this mod thinking that it will give the engine more performance, technically it does but it’s so little as to be virtually undetectable, so it’s a waste of time, if I were you I’d restore the original system and therefore not have messy emulsified oil dripping onto the engine.
    Regarding the poor running it’s possible that your carbs iced up, the ambient temperature is very low at the moment and there’s a lot of moisture in the air, perfect conditions for carb icing, my Ducati M900 is prone to this, sudden throttle openings cause a pressure drop in the carbs, this leads to ice forming instantly, dropping back to tick over and allowing the bike to idle for a minute allows the ice to clear, after which slower and gentle opening of the throttle goes a long way to avoiding carb icing.
    Some set ups are prone to carb icing some aren’t, my M900 does it easily, my 900ss doesn’t, same engines, same carbs, go figure!.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    #8 Patchinko, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Regarding the oily discharge... What Mark9 said.
    As for the poor running, it's unlikely the carbs would ice up on a fuel injected bike;). There is a guy who advertises on here with a company called TTP, triumph twin power, he can do remapping of the ECU so it runs better with open pipes, thoug it wont do any harm to not have a re-tune.
    Nice looking bike, it looks like the previous owner has done some other tasty mods, like neat headlamp brackets and indicators, also ignition relocation. You're going to enjoy it I'm sure.
    Could you post some more pics on the "Post your Bonneville pics here" thread?

• Like Like x 3
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Nice colours - like my old 2004 T100.
    Looks like it has after market indicators, headlamp bracket, and instrument binnacles fitted. The ignition switch has also been relocated from its original position on the left side of the old headlamp bracket. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. JkT100Bon

JkT100Bon New Member

Feb 13, 2021
    Leics
    Thanks for the advice all. As requested a few pics added to the relevant thread.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I'm no expert on the air cooled bikes, but won't their be air leaking into the manifold here?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    looks like CV carbs in the photo to me! :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Tons of upgrades on that Bonnie: led indicators front and back, headlight brackets, chromed engine cover, Hagon rear shocks, aftermarket pipes, locking fuel cap, heated grips, instrument cases... She looks gorgeous, previous owner obviously loved her.

The breather upgrade is mostly for looks. You should be able to just reconnect the tubing to the original hole in the air box, if you want to undo it. However, it could very well be that the filter is just soggy and needs a good cleaning, before being refitted.

As for the starting issues, maybe the aftermarket pipes are the culprit (and I can't tell exactly from your photos on the other thread, but looks like the secondary air injection has been removed as well). You may need a different fuel map, although I also removed the SAI and have aftermarket exhausts (TEC), and yet use the "standard" map (although I did remap to the latest slightly improved version). It can also just be that the bike hasn't run for a long time, and may need a bit of an overall (oil, spark plugs, throttle body sync, etc).

• Like Like x 1
  14. JkT100Bon

JkT100Bon New Member

Feb 13, 2021
    Leics
    The invoice below might provide a few clues?
    I'll confess to not knowing much at all as to what it actually means though.

20210215_123638.jpg

15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It looks from the invoice as if the previous owner had Triumph Twin Power remap the bike to allow for the TORS exhaust and the baffle removal from the airbox. (although it says "Installation - no thanks" According to this, the SAI wasn't removed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JkT100Bon

JkT100Bon New Member

Feb 13, 2021
    Leics
    #16 JkT100Bon, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    My thoughts too, Steve. If nothing else, lockdown is providing plenty of opportunity to research Bonneville engineering.

17. JkT100Bon

JkT100Bon New Member

Feb 13, 2021
    Leics
    I've just had a closer look at that. Looks fine (I think) the breach is on an outer tube only a- the inner one looks sound but I'll keep an eye on it.

I took it for an essential journey earlier, nothing major just a quick trip to the shop in town - no issues and certainly no backfiring or juddering. Far from it in fact, handled lovely so I'm more inclined to think that the issues with it on Saturday were down to ignorance of the machine on my part.

Really chuffed with this bike and, without blowing too much smoke, the help that has been offered on this forum. Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  18. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Boston UK
    Had a similar problem with warm starts on my Anniversary Edition (EFI) manual says to pull the fast idle knob out to the first notch for warm starts, no problems since.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JkT100Bon

JkT100Bon New Member

Feb 13, 2021
    Leics
    Seems to do the trick! Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi JkT100bon and welcome to the forum :cool: happy you are enjoying learning about your new ride and sorting through the issues.
    You’ll get a proper welcome on newbies hangout :p