Featured New Tires For My Bonnie

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Markus, Jul 21, 2022.

1. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    We can at least buy Avon tyres in the UK:). It was my tyre fitter who told me they were now being made in France.

Which presumably means there is now no tyre brand that's actually made in the UK, crying shame:sob:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    The Phantoms they fit to new bikes have approx half the tread depth of a phantom that you buy off the shelf, they are made at a lower price for the manufacturers, I’m guessing they are a cheaper compound as well, anyway , they aren’t very good!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. sgoat51

sgoat51 New Member

May 5, 2023
    Land of Enchantment USA
    My Speed Twin 900 purchased late April (US) was shod with Michelin Road Classic's. Very pleased with the handling and ride quality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Stackfield

Stackfield New Member

Jan 31, 2023
    Germany
    You say here you use Brigestone BT46 or Avon Spirit ST as front tyre. Do you use the radial or bias tyres ? I can't find any dealer who is selling bias tyres in the size 100/90 18" :confused:

5. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    I wouldn't worry about Bias Ply or Radial. I spent sometime fretting and researching this when I wanted to get rid of the awful Pirelli Phantoms that Triumph had fitted to my Street Cup.

Logic would be to use the same design, Radial or cross ply, on the front and rear, but Triumphs own tyre selector download lists the Pirellis fitted as standard to the Street Bonnies and the T100 / T120 as cross ply at the front and radial at the rear:confused:, whilst suggesting the Avon Storm 3D X-M as an alternative, but that's radial front and rear:rolleyes:. This discrepancy is almost certainly down to the tyre manufacturers' choice about whether to go with radial or Cross ply.

Avon don't now make the Storm and only list the Spirit ST as their suggested tyre for the Bonnies. But those are a heavy sport tourer tyre and only available as Z rated radials front and rear (designed for speeds over 149mph!o_O), well over specced for a Bonnies modest performance.

Whilst the official Avon website doesn't suggest the Roadrider 2 for the Bonnies, Avon make them in the correct sizes, lots of tyre fitters in the UK suggest them for Bonnies and they're Cross ply front and back.

IMHO what is more important is speed rating; unless you're on a Thruxton, you're not going to get over 130mph so H rated (or higher if necessary) is the way to go.

I settled on H rated Avon Roadrider 2 front and rear. They have totally changed the riding experience of my Street Cup, all the white lining and cornering uncertainty (even worse in the wet) has gone, they give a very smooth and confident ride:cool:.

@Markus went with the Bridgestone BT46 (also Cross ply front and rear), he's really happy with them and with the way he racks up miles if there were any problems he'd have told us by now.

So choose your tyre and enjoy the improvement over the standard Pirellis and Enjoy the ride:).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Florian320

Florian320 Member
    Subscriber

Dec 14, 2023
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Just if you didn't hear it yet: I have been to the dealer yesterday to discuss a possible tire change before even receiving the bike as the Phantoms seem not the best choice.
    The dealer could give me the pleasing information that from the end of last year on Triumph now puts the Michelin Road Classics on the T120.
    Their test bike and two on display already had that tire on.
    So I'll make a test ride when it is warmer outside and see if I like that tire more - the Phantoms felt like they made the bike unwilling to go into corners for me (being very unexperienced).

I'll give a shout, when I tested the Road Classics.

• Like Like x 2
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    They do indeed, and I've found them to be an excellent tyre.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Florian320

Florian320 Member
    Subscriber

Dec 14, 2023
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    That sounds very promising, thanks!