New Tiger Sport

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by roadrider, Feb 11, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Has anybody seen the new Tiger Sport? It looks like they've done a good job.Nothing to drastic but it looks more complete,all the same colour for a start,new screen and all the usual new stuff,traction control,modes etc.and might be the new Speed Triple engine,I just hope they haven't tuned it down to much.
    I'll be booking a test ride and if the price is right it might be my next bike.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/adventure-and-touring/Tiger/2016/New-Tiger-Sport

• Like Like x 3
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Looks nice enough, but, if it's meant for touring - as per the description - then why do they insist on a dirty great f**k off high level silencer that will eat into the available space for/within the right side pannier?:mad:
    Seems stupid to me!:oops:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Like the look of the new Tiger Sport, I tested the old model before moving to a Kawasaki Versys 1000 and thought the leg position was a little cramped for long distance touring so hoping for a slightly better seating position on the new one.

Completely agree on the previous comment on exhaust position, they fit a high exhaust and make the panniers fit around giving a pathetic carrying capacity, it's the biggest put off for me. The new Street Triple shows what can be done with smart low exhausts and that doesn't have panniers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I have to agree about the exhaust it does seem a bit daft. Heavy as well, I was surprised when the Speed was rolled out with the under seat pipes still on.
    Personally I'm after a half faired speed triple so panniers are of no interest to me and a sportier riding position will suit me.
    Soon get that exhaust changed
    I know not everyone will like it's looks but it might just be the answer for the type of riding I'm doing these days.

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I guess the panniers will hang outside the exhaust as in the new tiger 800's looks s bit weird but the new ones are meant to be a lot lighter.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. James ellerby

James ellerby Active Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Manchester
    two words ........

Wing Mirrors ;):rolleyes:

7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    They are! Just had these fitted to my Tiger rather than the Adventure ones, although mine is closer to the exhaust and doesn't stick out as much as the one in your picture. They open from the top, which makes more sense to me than the side opening ones. Disadvantage? - a helmet won't fit in one so you would need a top box as well.

8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I had the plastic Triumph panniers on my Tiger with the cut out in for the exhaust. They were heavy but I think I still prefer the slightly narrower width, that photo above with the alloy panniers looks crazy wide.
    Last year I took this MV Agusta for a test ride http://www.mvagusta.com/en-gb/motorcycles/turismo-veloce-lusso-800/ and while I didn't think it a great touring machine, I did like the panniers and the way they fitted so close together. They could both take a full face helmet and yet they were narrower than the handlebars, hope other manufactures take note.

• Like Like x 1
  9. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    My mates go a Tiger Sport and the panniers on that are huge,he struggled with that in traffic and my Mrs put a largeish throw over set on her Street,she struggled in heavy traffic as well.
    While I like the principal I don't think I'll have a set.
    I only need to carry my own gear so it'll be top box and dry bag for me.

10. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I suppose with any adventure or touring bike fitted with panniers there will always be a compromise between agile filtering and luggage carrying. If I was commuting everyday (which I'm not) through heavy traffic and needed to filter then I probably wouldn't have the panniers on. The rest of the time I'm not that fussed to be honest. The Tiger I test rode had just the top box fitted but it looked awful in my opinion.
    I'll measure the full width of mine with panniers fitted to see just how far past the bars they stick out.

11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've used a dry bag as well, an Otleib one with the full-length opening. Good bit of kit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have a lomo dry bag as used on the Bonnie but to have an adventure bike for touring and not use the panniers seems to defeat the object of getting the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Completely agree,enjoy your Paniers Steve, you've earned them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hopefully you'll be enjoying yours in the near future.

15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi BM, tell me about it :(:(:mad:

16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Surely for medicinal purposes only!!

17. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Dandelion and Burdock??:D:D

18. cafecruzin

cafecruzin Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    i had a 2010 tiger1050 for four years,rode it around Australia twice (no pillion)and had no issues with doing 1000K days , it performed brilliantly. the tiger1050 is imo the best general purpose bike that triumph have.
    at the time of owning it i didn't own a car so it was used for everything. looking at specs for the new sport version i may just go back to the tiger1050. if you want a touring bike buy a trophy or equivalent if you want a brilliant general purpose bike buy a tiger1050

• Like Like x 3
  19. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    1000K days, wow I am impressed.lol.

Seriously tho, I am in a Sprint forum elsewhere and a few of the guys ( old farts like myself) have gone over to the Tiger Sport and love them, they are apparently very comfortable and ergonomically sound . I sat on the old model at various shows and the position of everything just felt perfect for me, unfortunately 1, I cannot afford one and 2,I love my old Sprint too much anyway. Wish I had a 1050 lump tho, they are excellent.