New Tiger Sport 660 Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Steve4801, Mar 28, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve4801

Steve4801 New Member

Mar 28, 2022
    England
    Hi, I'm new to owning a Triumph motorcycle after many years of Japanese and more recently BMW bikes. I recently replaced my 5.5 year old Suzuki SV650 with a new, shiny blue Tiger Sport 660, with the optional panniers and heated grips. It's an excellent bike - enough power, comfortable riding position, good handling, decent range.
    A quick question ... Has anybody found a tank bag that fits? I've tried a variety of options, including tank ring options, tank harnesses - but nothing fits that allows easy access to the fuel filler. It's a non ferrous tank, so magnetic options don't work.

Cheers! Steve4801 @ Bedfordshire, UK

• Like Like x 1
  2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum, Steve. I can't help you with the tank bag but I'm sure there will be someone arund who can. If you don't get any luck here, try posting this in the section for the Tiger as well.

3. Steve4801

Steve4801 New Member

Mar 28, 2022
    England
    Thanks Helmut ... I did look at the Tanklock option with the Givi MT505 bag. I went to the local SportsBikeShop and lined them up on my bike. Infortunately, even with this smallest bag option, because the tank ring is so far forward on the tank, the bag obsructs the handlebar movement.
    Fitting the tankring is not the issue - any bag option impedes handlebar movement. See how tight below!

upload_2022-3-28_14-30-0.png

4. Steve4801

Steve4801 New Member

Mar 28, 2022
    England
    p.s. The Triumph OE heated grips are crap. They barely warm up sand are ineffective. I wouldn't recommend these - go for after market items.

5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    It looks to me like the Givi ones are in development for your bike hence the "Article in manufacturing" quote so you may have to be a bit patient until it's sorted. Wrt the oem heated grips I have to say I am surprised as the Triumph ones have always been really good, maybe worth a double check with the dealer to ensure they are operating correctly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome…..

7. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    It's interesting, I have heard that from others as well. I have them on my 850 and they are perfect, but then they are my first heated grips so nothing to compare to.

8. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Hello.gif Steve and welcome2a - Copy (2).gif to the forum from Lincolnshire.
    Enjoy your 660, and the forum too.
    As for heated grip, I've these on both my bikes, and the can't be beaten at the price the Sportsbike shop are knocking them out at.

[​IMG]

9. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    The Triumph heated grips on my RP are very good. Almost too hot to hold on their hottest setting whilst wearing summer gloves. I mostly use the middle setting.

10. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    HI and welcome!

11. Steve4801

Steve4801 New Member

Mar 28, 2022
    England
    Thanks to everyone for all the welcome messages :)

Re: the heated grips - I think these are specific to the Trident and the Tiger Sport 660. A mate of mine has a 765 Street Triple and says they're plenty warm enough on his bike, to the extent of never using the hottest setting!

I commented on these to the dealer and Triumph in their post-sale feedback questionnaire. At the first service the dealer confirmed the grips were installed and working as "expected". On their hottest setting they are lukewarm at best. Completely ineffective when you want them to work - i.e. when it's cold! I intend to follow up further with Triumph directly as I'm not happy about my (wasted) investment of £250ish for this option.

... and yes, I do have full feeling in my hands, and have experienced heated grips on previous bikes which worked fine.

Otherwise, the bike is great! :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    The problem with the heated grips is interesting. I use the original heated grips on my TIGER 1200 with 3 heat settings. On the TIGER they were standard equipment. In comparison, I have mounted on my BONNIE the original accessory heating grips from TRIUMPH, which have 2 heating levels. Comparing the two systems, the TIGER at maximum level heats only slightly more than the BONNIE with level "Low". In contrast, you can roast your fingers/hands on the BONNIE at the "High" level!
    However, in combination with good hand gloves, I was still very satisfied with the TIGER heating handles at temperatures as low as -4 degrees Celsius (24.8 F).

13. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

14. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum :cool:
    Triumph heated grips on my Tiger 900 are just fine - never had them on high setting for long.

15. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Welcome

the Tiger 660 is a great looking bike

16. Simon Hardacre

Simon Hardacre New Member

Oct 17, 2022
    Lancashire
    Hello all. New to this forum but not new to Triumph ownership ((Tiger sport 1050….down sized to a new Tiger Sport 660….very impressed). I also had concerns about the heated grip performance on the 660, as the 1050 I had was fitted with Triumph heated grips which were excellent. I mentioned this at first service (600 miles) and tried the heated grips (same kit) on the Tiger 900 loan bike…..(difference in warmth was night and day in comparison) they were up to toasty temperature within minutes. So clearly something not as it should be on the 660. My dealership also compared to another identical 660 in the workshop, which got up to temperature immediately. They have since replaced with a new set of heated grips, but exactly the same result. This fault is currently with Triumph HQ to resolve, which points to either a fault with the grips (not likely as the 2nd set had exactly the same issue), or a software fault which needs a ‘patch’ to resolve, or it could be the Clocks/TFT which control the grips…… Feels like the Clocks are displaying Red (top setting) but actually remaining on the lowest Temp setting and not allowing and increase/decrease. And it only seems to affect some, not all 660’s.
    My dealership have been excellent on this and I just await the resolution. “Winters Coming…..” as they say, so fingers crossed…!!! they have a fix soon. Hope this is helpful, just persevere with your dealer to get resolved under warranty.

17. Step_ha

Step_ha New Member

Oct 23, 2022
    France
    Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a Tiger 660 but I would like to get some feedback from people who own one. What do you think of this Tiger 660 on a daily basis? Have you encountered any mechanical problems since you have been riding it?

Sorry for my English, I'm writing this from France

18. CBRE

CBRE New Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Oxfordshire
    Did you get it fixed?
    I had same problem, it was software, now sorted.